What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 (2009) EELS v RABBITOHS

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Regardless of the result, this is a great match. Two foundation teams keen to remain in the competition, and they treat us with an excellent 5v5 100% effort. :clap:

Bumble

First Grade
I click on this thread with 40 replies and assume the marking is done but it's just you lot talking rubbish :p

fanaticeel

Juniors
I got to agree. I trolled the other matches but in our match I found all the articles engaging. You had to read them to the last sentence. Very good work everyone, gee if this is the standard we've set the bar very high. And you know what happens with high bars? You can't reach your drink! :sarcasm:

Dragon_psa

First Grade
A splendid match! Cracking reads all around, and I really don't envy the ref in this one. My early tip: Bunnies by 1.

Dave Q

Coach
A splendid match! Cracking reads all around, and I really don't envy the ref in this one. My early tip: Bunnies by 1.

The mighty psa hex has fallen, so I am pretty close to calling it and switching off the machine.

Lets hope we have better luck next time my furry feral friends.

In the last two days, the "hands free" button on my work phone has turned itself on unaided ( with noise) and last night the alarm system detected "multiple movements" in one (boring) part of the office.

But when us and the cops arrived, nothing.

Can someone tell me whats going on?!!

Misanthrope

Staff member
Did you move back to SK or something, Mis?

Yep! Had planned to stay home longer but rushed back for a girl. Surprise, I'm dating someone entirely different now :lol:

Should have a result for you around 3am AEDST at the latest. It is still daylight savings back home, yeah?

Dragon_psa

First Grade
The mighty psa hex has fallen, so I am pretty close to calling it and switching off the machine.

Lets hope we have better luck next time my furry feral friends.

In the last two days, the "hands free" button on my work phone has turned itself on unaided ( with noise) and last night the alarm system detected "multiple movements" in one (boring) part of the office.

But when us and the cops arrived, nothing.

Can someone tell me whats going on?!!

You must have me confused with Moffo Dave. Besides, if you can't beat Parra on the field, you might as well do it in the 7's eh?

Misanthrope

Staff member
PARRAMATTA

Untitled by fanaticeel

I could relate to this as a Newie fan living an entire continent away, and it read well after it got through talking about the game. I think it could have been much stronger if it had focussed on the plight of the interstate fan - rather than on the game against the Bunnies.

SCORE: 80

The More Things Change… by Hallatia

This threw me from the outset, as the Colosseum was Roman, not Greek; and while I do appreciate the comparison that is being drawn – this article was a little unwieldy and disjointed at times, which lessened what impact it might have had.

SCORE: 74

A Fan at Crossroads by Prince Charles

A splendid article touching on a situation that, even living abroad, I’ve heard plenty about and copped plenty of flak for. There are far too many Kiwis and South Africans here. This was succinct, well thought out, and easy to read.

SCORE: 88

A Case Study in League Politics by MarkInTheStands

The politics behind a football club certainly doesn’t make for regular article fodder, so it was interesting to read about the way a club other than my own works behind the scenes. Some grammatical errors dragged this down a little.

SCORE: 79

Oh, yes; rugby league is more than just a game by lingard

It took me a little while to warm to this, but as it progressed, I became caught up in the underlying sadness in this. I’m a sucker for the ‘darker’ side of our game and what it means to us as fans, and this painted a tragic picture. Rugby league means a lot of things to a lot of people, and its both sad and uplifting to read about how it has become your sole connection to those who you once watched the games with.

This ended wonderfully and poetically. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

SCORE: 89

TOTAL: 410

RABBITOHS

The Angel, Sonny, and Me by Dave Q

This was a powerful, thought provoking read. The death of Sonny Fai effected us all in different ways, and as someone who came so close to experiencing a similar fate – I can imagine it struck you on an entirely different level.

I was a little confused as your use of the word ‘whorish’, however. Did you mean hoary? It would make more sense.

All in all, this was a pleasure to read. It struck an emotional chord and flowed well.

SCORE: 89

The Life and Times of ‘Never Was’ by Bumble

I too am a ‘soccer’ tragic, and while I dabbled in league late in life – I can certainly relate to the struggle to make an impact in a sport that you’ve just not got the gift for. An entertaining read.

SCORE: 80

Goin’ to the Chapel by Miccle

This was a good use of an unusual simile for rugby league. It touched on a lot of current, interesting issues while staying close to the concept that ties it all together.

SCORE: 84

Don’t Give Up by Robster

This was a difficult article to mark. At times it came across as eloquent and read well, at times it became bogged down in poor grammar, and at times it was heartfelt but a little disjointed. It again touched on one of the tragic stories from our game that, sadly, was also one of the few ‘good’ stories out of our off season in the way it brought the game together.

SCORE: 81

What Makes a League Legend? By Marshall_magic

Stacey Jones most certainly is a legend of the game, and a rarity in that he’s not from one of the two eastern states. This was a well constructed tribute to a real hero of the game.

SCORE: 84

TOTAL: 418

FINAL SCORE

South Sydney Rabbitohs 418 def. Parramatta Eels 410

POTM: Dave Q (Souths) and lingard (Eels) with 89

bartman

Immortal
Solid effort Rabbitohs, congrats on the result :thumn.

Cheers for the international reffing Mis, and thanks to the timekeeper and ground announcer.

Well deserved POTMs DaveQ and lingard, quality writing :clap:

Misanthrope

Staff member
Cheers for the international reffing Mis, and thanks to the timekeeper and ground announcer.

Real kudos must go to my girlfriend for allowing me to take half an hour out of date night to mark the game :p

miccle

Bench
Thanks to the offshore ref, and commiserations to the Eels!

Great start for the bunnies, so let's keep it going boys!

LeagueNut

First Grade
blah-grumpy.gif

Backpacker Points

3 points - lingard (Eels) & Dave Q (Rabbitohs) :clap:
2 points - Prince Charles (Eels) :thumn
1 point - miccle & Marshall magic (both Rabbitohs) :mrgreen:

For any rookies - click here to find out about Backpacker points.

Latest posts