What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 2016 vs NQ Cowboys

Born BB&W

Juniors
Exactly

A Fullback's main role should be to stop tries / prevent drop outs / catch bombs etc

Barba is by far the best at that.

Bird will be exposed.

^^^

Like I posted on the other thread

If Benny is not 1 against the Cowboys I will be very surprised.

If Bird plays 1 against the Cowboys I will be very surprised if he ever plays 1 again.

So as a forum we agree on that?

Madsharkie

First Grade
Haha, good luck with getting unanimous agreement on anything in here!
For the record, I agree :lol:

bluefox1968

Juniors
^^^

Like I posted on the other thread

If Benny is not 1 against the Cowboys I will be very surprised.

If Bird plays 1 against the Cowboys I will be very surprised if he ever plays 1 again.

So as a forum we agree on that?

I reckon we ARE unanimous on that one - I don't think any of us actually want Bird at fullback. The only one was his Dad 'george43' way back when he first signed for us...

I reckon we ARE unanimous on that one - I don't think any of us actually want Bird at fullback. The only one was his Dad 'george43' way back when he first signed for us...

You're absolutely correct. But I still believe there are some fragile egos to be massaged and some lessons to be learned that hard way.

If Birds expectation is to be full back and promises were made to that effect, then the solutions are:
1) Tell him no and have him sulk for the rest of the season and then want an out to go back to Wollongong.

or

2) Let him play fullback, if he succeeds then terrific, if he fails then he fails and cannon justify his position there.

N=Barba will be No1 be the end of March.

Big Bloke

Juniors
You're absolutely correct. But I still believe there are some fragile egos to be massaged and some lessons to be learned that hard way.

If Birds expectation is to be full back and promises were made to that effect, then the solutions are:
1) Tell him no and have him sulk for the rest of the season and then want an out to go back to Wollongong.

or

2) Let him play fullback, if he succeeds then terrific, if he fails then he fails and cannon justify his position there.

N=Barba will be No1 be the end of March.

Yes but by that time we could be none from four.

webShark

George here.

I am split on this. I don't buy the line that Barba is back. Lot to prove. Of course , Bird is unproven. So totally unsure. For me the best option was Val with Gagan on the wing , Bird at centre and Barba gone. Can but hope Barba is back.

cb4

First Grade
You want a guy who is injury prone and cant string games together in NSW cup to replace a guy who is a genuine star on his day?
Nope, not having that.

webShark

You want a guy who is injury prone and cant string games together in NSW cup to replace a guy who is a genuine star on his day?
Nope, not having that.

Bit harsh on Gagan. Had a season ending injury. Will someone confirm the last date Barba was a genuine star. You have a point. Do you go for someone who is an injury risk or a fading star?

My belief is Barba has not played like a genuine star for around 50 games.

Is he a wing option over Gagan?

https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/nrl-player-stats/cronulla-sharks/ben-barba#.VtT8OPA8aK0

4 line breaks in 2015. Why is everybody so optimistic? 2012/2013 - 35 line breaks.

Last edited:

Stake Removed

First Grade
I am concerned what Townsend is going to offer, he didnt perform when here before, and with Warriors again no stand out, he reminds me of younger Robbo.

I would not be surprised if by mid season the halves are Maloney/Bird

Big Bloke

Juniors
I am concerned what Townsend is going to offer, he didnt perform when here before, and with Warriors again no stand out, he reminds me of younger Robbo.

Mate at the beginning of the season I would have agreed with you. I thought Chad was quite average, especially when he was with us. But his time with the Warriors has matured him quite a lot. I think he's a bit better defensively now and I think his trial form looked good.

There's still a way to go before we can praise the Maloney/Townsend combination but I am more positive it will work now.

Click2000

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't think that Barba, now that he's fully fit, deserves 1st crack at fullback is an idiot!

In the 7's and that break he made in the trial were Barba of old !

If there was a 5% chance of getting that lil f@cker back to what he was I would take it!

Barber on fire with Bird and Holmes working together bloody excites me !!

Now where the is f@cking team list for f@cks sake !!!!!

cb4

First Grade
Bit harsh on Gagan. Had a season ending injury. Will someone confirm the last date Barba was a genuine star. You have a point. Do you go for someone who is an injury risk or a fading star?

My belief is Barba has not played like a genuine star for around 50 games.

Is he a wing option over Gagan?

https://www.totalfootystats.com.au/nrl-player-stats/cronulla-sharks/ben-barba#.VtT8OPA8aK0

4 line breaks in 2015. Why is everybody so optimistic? 2012/2013 - 35 line breaks.

Stats like you have selected are useless. In 2012 he was playing 80 a game, with a game plan based on him. And he lit it up.

Stat for you, 2015 Gagan 0 anything. Old cracker legs couldn't cope with it. Not harsh on Gagan if you calling Barba a fading star is on the ball park.

Gagan has never been a star. Barba carried a team with Josh Reynolds and Kris Keating as the halves to a grand final.

Marchad

Juniors
Anyone who doesn't think that Barba, now that he's fully fit, deserves 1st crack at fullback is an idiot!

In the 7's and that break he made in the trial were Barba of old !

If there was a 5% chance of getting that lil f@cker back to what he was I would take it!

Barber on fire with Bird and Holmes working together bloody excites me !!

Now where the is f@cking team list for f@cks sake !!!!!
I am pretty sure I read somewhere that this year team lists are coming out on Thursday.

Card Shark

Immortal
Might be different in Rd2 & subsequent rounds.

Teams are not obligated to get them in on Tuesday....unless the NRL changed their minds?

Eion

First Grade
Well, looks like flanno listened to most on here and put barba at the back and bird in the centres.

Or.... he was always going to do that and was keeping the competitive juices of the candidates flowing.

lolesi

First Grade

I think this is a really harsh comparison.

As I've said earlier, every game he played for us was filling in for Carney outside Robson and was given no string of games to impress.. You put him with a fit Carney in place of Robson when we were winning, things would have been very different. How can you judge a bloke when he is put in only as a stopgap measure time and time again ?

I watch a lot of warriors games and that again is another unfair statement. He was warriors standout for the first half of the year and controlled that team well. Loses Johnson and warriors season falls apart.. Which is no surprise. Though before that happened Townsend outplayed SJ more often then not.