What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 2021 semi realistic sides

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I thnk this will be close
We really don't have much options
Ramsey for JP maybe
Alvaro before Merrin.
Also different players starting, Ford to bench Kerr 12. Lock is the big unknown to me, maybe Ellis.
I don't think we should be shuffling the spine and don't think we have anyone else to play 9. We have to get 80min out of McCullough.View attachment 46093
And if we don’t get 80 mins out of him?

Let’s face it, the days of an 80 min hooker are in the past..

What’s the plan?

redv13

Bench
Why? My only curiosity here is what happens when McCulloch can’t play 80 mins.

Unfortunately the other 16 players in my team list wouldn’t be appealing to someone like you.
Well why don’t you enlighten everyone on here? Who would you suggest covers McCullough if he can’t play 80 mins??

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Well why don’t you enlighten everyone on here? Who would you suggest covers McCullough if he can’t play 80 mins??
Lol..

Pop your head back into your dungeon, creep..

I’m not the one saying he’s the 80 min player.

Old Timer

Coach
If you’re going to poke fun at someone’s use of numbers, using your figures last year he played 70% of games at full capacity, the year before 72%.

So he’s not an 80 min player. If anything, he’s dropping his ability to play 80 mins year on year.

Still trying to work out that initial question as to what we do for nearly 1 in 3 games where he can’t play 80 mins.

Who’s filing in?

You?
Your maths is appalling.

Last year he played in total 10 games.

Out of 10 games he played 7 for 80 minutes, suffered a season ending injury in 1 and was selected on the bench for 2.

Obviously if he is selected on the bench at the coach's whim then he is not able to play 80 minutes so those games should not be included in the calculations as he may well and truly have been able to play 80 but the coach might have had other plans those days.

So out of 8 games available to play 80 minutes he completed 7 which is 87.5% completion rate and only a season ending injury prevented him from completing 8 out of 8.

So your assumption re not playing 80 minutes 1 in 3 games is based on a false premise.

In respect of season 2019 you could also be making a false assumption and you need to see know exactly many games he was afforded the opportunity of playing 80 minutes for and of those how many did he complete and of the remainder how many were cut short by injury which is a totally different scenario to being rested.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Your maths is appalling.

Last year he played in total 10 games.

Out of 10 games he played 7 for 80 minutes, suffered a season ending injury in 1 and was selected on the bench for 2.

Obviously if he is selected on the bench at the coach's whim then he is not able to play 80 minutes so those games should not be included in the calculations as he may well and truly have been able to play 80 but the coach might have had other plans those days.

So out of 8 games available to play 80 minutes he completed 7 which is 87.5% completion rate and only a season ending injury prevented him from completing 8 out of 8.

So your assumption re not playing 80 minutes 1 in 3 games is based on a false premise.

In respect of season 2019 you could also be making a false assumption and you need to see know exactly many games he was afforded the opportunity of playing 80 minutes for and of those how many did he complete and of the remainder how many were cut short by injury which is a totally different scenario to being rested.
If a player starts the match on the bench, he or she doesn’t play the full 80 minutes on the field.

That’s really not that a hard a concept to grasp is it?

Old Timer

Coach
If a player starts the match on the bench, he or she doesn’t play the full 80 minutes on the field.

That’s really not that a hard a concept to grasp is it?
No it's not a hard concept to grasp at all and amazingly you failed to do so.

You make the false assumption that because a player starts from the bench in a particular game he is therefore incapable of playing 80 minutes.

The correct way to determine if a player can play 80 minutes can only be achieved if the player actually starts the match.

Even then allowances need to be made for
  • Was it the coaches intentions for that player to play 80 minutes that particular game or did he formulate a specific game plan for that game?
  • Was the player subbed out due to injury and if not for that he would have played 80 minutes?
  • Was the player subbed out early as a reward for his efforts and the fact that his team cannot be beaten in that game.
None of those scenarios is an indicator that the player cannot play 80 minutes and as my previous post clearly shows AM completed 7 out of 8 games (87.5%) where it was possible for him to play 80 minutes and only a season ending injury stopped it from being 8 out of 8 which would have been 100%.

As George Dragon correctly said "averaging" was a bit lazy and you have taken that to a new level.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
No it's not a hard concept to grasp at all and amazingly you failed to do so.

You make the false assumption that because a player starts from the bench in a particular game he is therefore incapable of playing 80 minutes.

The correct way to determine if a player can play 80 minutes can only be achieved if the player actually starts the match.

Even then allowances need to be made for
  • Was it the coaches intentions for that player to play 80 minutes that particular game or did he formulate a specific game plan for that game?
  • Was the player subbed out due to injury and if not for that he would have played 80 minutes?
  • Was the player subbed out early as a reward for his efforts and the fact that his team cannot be beaten in that game.
None of those scenarios is an indicator that the player cannot play 80 minutes and as my previous post clearly shows AM completed 7 out of 8 games (87.5%) where it was possible for him to play 80 minutes and only a season ending injury stopped it from being 8 out of 8 which would have been 100%.

As George Dragon correctly said "averaging" was a bit lazy and you have taken that to a new level.
Whilst I normally enjoy a good back and forth, to even be engaging in a debate about a bench player having played the full 80 minutes in a game is ridiculous.

That has to be one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here from anyone.

It’s up there with the time I said more than half of the current population has never seen a St George stand-alone premiership, and you disagreed by saying I can’t count people who were born after 1979.

Just sheer idiocy.

jak

Bench
I thnk this will be close
We really don't have much options
Ramsey for JP maybe
Alvaro before Merrin.
Also different players starting, Ford to bench Kerr 12. Lock is the big unknown to me, maybe Ellis.
I don't think we should be shuffling the spine and don't think we have anyone else to play 9. We have to get 80min out of McCullough.View attachment 46093
Edit I also think a lot could change after the weekend. Hook still has settled on the 17, so who knows.
kerr at 12 i like that idea.

possm

Coach
Let's see who is selected for the Charity Shield match. From there we can start to understand Griffins thinking. I am of the mind that Griffin will put his best 13 on the field for the first half and then experiment with other players in the second half. For example, I expect to see Dufty at fullback in the first half and Ramsey at fullback in the second half.

I would love to see Kerr given a go at right edge forward in the second half and both Feagai brother's also given a run in the second half.

George Sancti

Juniors
I sincerely hope the coaching staff do not move Josh Kerr from prop to second row. He is developing well as a front rower and has the potential to be our number one prop. Kerr runs hard and his front on defence is improving. His main weakness appears to be his lateral movement which he would need to significantly improve if he was to play on an edge. I would much prefer Tyrell Fuimaono partner Tariq Sims in the second row.

Gareth67

First Grade
I sincerely hope the coaching staff do not move Josh Kerr from prop to second row. He is developing well as a front rower and has the potential to be our number one prop. Kerr runs hard and his front on defence is improving. His main weakness appears to be his lateral movement which he would need to significantly improve if he was to play on an edge. I would much prefer Tyrell Fuimaono partner Tariq Sims in the second row.

Your right George , big Josh has the attributes needed to become one of the Dragons best front rowers . I feel that his game will improve as the season goes by , he merely needs that bIt of self belief that he is capable of climbing to the top of the mountain.

I am quite sure that Griffin also realizes this and with some words of encouragement plus playing under a coach who knows his trade that peak will be conquered this season .

since77

Juniors
Your right George , big Josh has the attributes needed to become one of the Dragons best front rowers . I feel that his game will improve as the season goes by , he merely needs that bIt of self belief that he is capable of climbing to the top of the mountain.

I am quite sure that Griffin also realizes this and with some words of encouragement plus playing under a coach who knows his trade that peak will be conquered this season .
He’ll be playing under a coach who isn’t going to stuff him around all season too. I think this is his year to really come on

goldiesaintz

Juniors
I’m not too sure who will be on the final team sheet but expect players who haven’t been at their best to finally excel this season.

Hopefully Kerr can find his feet.
Vaughan to regain his toughness and Lomax to own his centre placing.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade

I agree re Kerr but I don't see Fui as the answer.

I would have Ellis ahead of him.

Faamasuali and Alvaro must be in the front row rotation unless Faamasuali can play an edge.

CS as usual, will provide some answers...

BLM01

First Grade

One thing you are missing, I agree he ran hard in the middle but he had so many short stints and breaks like others with unlimited interchange he was able to do that.
Different game when been on the field continuously in the middle for 25-30 min in a row.
He will be just as damaging potentially at the edges and we need a big body there with Sims on the other. Fui would be a good bench player and can cover a bit or even push Kerr in the middle sometimes if needed.
Young David Fifita is large and he does OK there, Melb have K Bromwich, Canberra Tapine, Whitehead
I can see Kerr there..time will tell if he does alright.

George Sancti

Juniors
I agree re Kerr but I don't see Fui as the answer.

I would have Ellis ahead of him.

Faamasuali and Alvaro must be in the front row rotation unless Faamasuali can play an edge.

CS as usual, will provide some answers...

Good points Dragsters and you may be correct regarding Ellis. My major concern is the lock position. Three weeks ago I was thinking Jackson Ford would the best option. However, I am now having doubts on his defence.

I am starting to come around to the possibility of Blake Laurie playing lock, as has been suggested by a number of other members. I now understand their preference for a bigger player that will add additional muscle to the starting pack.

Last edited:

Latest posts