What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Panthers Vs Cowboys - Panthers Stadium

WestyLife

First Grade
After the trial a few points.

The right side needs better involvement. the attack stopped at the second rower that side excluding one bat on from Edwards which was ruled forward. good idea though from Dyl. He also needs to start getting that one man cut out pass to the right for Staines.

Everyone looks fit, strong and fast.

I like Martin starting off the bench playing a combination of middle and edge as necessary with his hard hitting defence. You'll find no drop in intensity when we go to the bench.

Hopgood was good although no idea if he will get the last bench spot but I wouldn't argue.

Defence looks as good as last year with Staines/Momirovski being very tight especially surprised how well Staines handled bigger players. Luai is stronger and more confident defensively.

Staines gains good metres when running on early tackles due to his speed he always finds his front getting a good play the ball as well. Just needs to increase his involvement.

Do I need to mention Api? He's a gun the end.

betcats

Referee
After the trial a few points.

The right side needs better involvement. the attack stopped at the second rower that side excluding one bat on from Edwards which was ruled forward. good idea though from Dyl. He also needs to start getting that one man cut out pass to the right for Staines.

Everyone looks fit, strong and fast.

I like Martin starting off the bench playing a combination of middle and edge as necessary with his hard hitting defence. You'll find no drop in intensity when we go to the bench.

Hopgood was good although no idea if he will get the last bench spot but I wouldn't argue.

Defence looks as good as last year with Staines/Momirovski being very tight especially surprised how well Staines handled bigger players. Luai is stronger and more confident defensively.

Staines gains good metres when running on early tackles due to his speed he always finds his front getting a good play the ball as well. Just needs to increase his involvement.

Do I need to mention Api? He's a gun the end.

Staines hasn’t been pushed backwards on a hit up yet. He’s not sauce and he never will be but imo he’s doing better than expected on those hit ups given he looks about 12 years old.

WestyLife

First Grade
Staines hasn’t been pushed backwards on a hit up yet. He’s not sauce and he never will be but imo he’s doing better than expected on those hit ups given he looks about 12 years old.

Yeah he looks so small but is handling the contact really well in attack and defence. Also watching the game now and gonna say I really hope Hopgood gets that last bench spot. He looks explosive like most our props when they come through with great leg speed like Fish, Leota etc. plus has an offload.

betcats

Referee
Yeah he looks so small but is handling the contact really well in attack and defence. Also watching the game now and gonna say I really hope Hopgood gets that last bench spot. He looks explosive like most our props when they come through with great leg speed like Fish, Leota etc. plus has an offload.

Yep we score the last try off his play the ball and he has a couple of great offloads plus he plays with that up tempo style, I really like what I saw from him last night. Someone who will work hard and potentially spark a bit of attack with a sneaky offload or quick play the ball.

The Liam Martin comparison is a good one whoever said that a while ago.

franklin2323

Immortal

He hasn't been but also is yet to play 80 mins in NRL. More importantly back it up. He is still the only question mark I have on the side

MugaB

Coach
Hey westy, you know theres already a thread for round 1, right?
I can see you're excited

WestyLife

First Grade
He hasn't been but also is yet to play 80 mins in NRL. More importantly back it up. He is still the only question mark I have on the side
He has the advantage of being accustomed to fullback which is more demanding than wing which will help the transition to NRL for fitness.

panthersam

Juniors

All great points you made Westy!

On this one in particular, I believe the attack will naturally evolve with that right hand side with more time on the field together - it’s essentially a whole new right side besides Nathan and even for him he would have to get used to the new combinations. All are good players though so I think they will pick it up pretty quickly.

The point you made about the defence on that side is one of the most exciting things out of last night for mine, looked like they’d all been defending together for years and good to see players like Momo have gotten straight up to speed in that regards!

WestyLife

First Grade
All great points you made Westy!

On this one in particular, I believe the attack will naturally evolve with that right hand side with more time on the field together - it’s essentially a whole new right side besides Nathan and even for him he would have to get used to the new combinations. All are good players though so I think they will pick it up pretty quickly.

The point you made about the defence on that side is one of the most exciting things out of last night for mine, looked like they’d all been defending together for years and good to see players like Momo have gotten straight up to speed in that regards!
I agree 100%

MugaB

Coach
Who ever did that should've waited since we still had the parra game to play. I don't count that thread.
Whats up your arse, smug life going ape shit.... oh sorry "i don't count that thread", im going to make a new one that reflects how smug i am...
I don't really care, which thread we bang on about, just pointing out westy loves to make threads

panthersam

Juniors
Hopgood was great last night,reckon he may just sneak a bench spot based on that performance + his off season he's had

Yeah the 17 jersey is probably the only contentious one at this point, but I still think Ivan will stick with the same team that he picked last night. Eisenhuth looked average but I know Ivan is a fan of his so I assume he keeps that spot especially because how good the team was overall last night.

Hopgood was super surprising for me too he looked great when he was on the field so I wouldn’t be opposed to him getting into the team at some point if not for Round 1!

WestyLife

First Grade
Whats up your arse, smug life going ape shit.... oh sorry "i don't count that thread", im going to make a new one that reflects how smug i am...
I don't really care, which thread we bang on about, just pointing out westy loves to make threads
Shut up clown.

MugaB

Coach
I watched the cowboys vs bronx highlights, looks like the cows, came in heavy at the back end of the game, if the game is similar to ours, maybe the bronx are either getting better or the cows are shithouse and only won coz the cream of the crop of brisbane was rested for the last 20mins

MugaB

Coach
Shut up clown.
Youre the clown westy, banging on about a parra trial game in the round 1 thread, cant even take criticism, need to result to clown insults, coz you messed up, howbout i make another trial thread within this thread, then we can discuss all the great points that everyone has already stated in the actual trial thread

videotogif_2021.02.28_10.09.04.gif

Too many threads

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
Youre the clown westy, banging on about a parra trial game in the round 1 thread, cant even take criticism, need to result to clown insults, coz you messed up, howbout i make another trial thread within this thread, then we can discuss all the great points that everyone has already stated in the actual trial vs parradontmatta thread...

Too many threads
More like you getting sensitive again Muga cause you jumped the gun and I forgot about your since we've had multiple games in between. Have fun being territorial over threads mate everyone can use whatever one they want I really don't care. Your dope image didn't work either.

panthersam

Juniors
I watched the cowboys vs bronx highlights, looks like the cows, came in heavy at the back end of the game, if the game is similar to ours, maybe the bronx are either getting better or the cows are shithouse and only won coz the cream of the crop of brisbane was rested for the last 20mins

While the Cowboys do have some dangerous players, I think it will all be a bit too early for them to click well enough to stop us in Round 1. We just looked so fit, strong and hungry last night like it was a continuation of last season so I see that continuing at Panthers Stadium in the first game.

Can’t wait to be cheering in the boys in a packed house again! :clap: