What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Cowboys

getsmarty

Immortal
North Queensland Cowboys v St George Illawarra Dragons preview
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 9 Mar 2019, 07:01 AM

A new era dawns for the Cowboys with Johnathan Thurston's retirement.

Thurston is essentially irreplaceable but Cowboys coach Paul Green will lean heavily on Michael Morgan and put his faith in Te Maire Martin and Jake Clifford to fill the void.

Matt Scott's presence can't be underestimated after his 2018 campaign was derailed by injury, while the arrival of ex-Broncos enforcer Josh McGuire should have the desired effect.

The Dragons were in the hunt for the minor premiership all season before finishing seventh - one of four teams on 32 points.

They only had themselves to blame for blowing it against the Rabbitohs in week two of the finals and coach Paul McGregor is hoping the arrival of Corey Norman from the Eels will provide important depth in the halves.

342 match-eqio->488 match-eqio->628 match-eqio->736" data-eqio-prefix="match" data-eqio-sizes="["<186>342", ">488", "<627>628", ">736", ">920"]">
Match: Cowboys v Dragons

Round 1 - Saturday 16th March

7:35pm

Home Team

Cowboys

Away Team

Dragons

Venue: 1300SMILES Stadium

Match broadcasters:

• Fox League
  • LIVE PASS
Buy Tickets
The Rundown
Key match-up
Gareth Widdop v Jordan Kahu: Neither of these men was a fullback last year but each now finds themselves as a first-choice No.1. In Widdop's case it's due to the club recruiting Corey Norman, with Matt Dufty still pressing for a chance. He's played there before, including for England, but will need to make sure his fitness and work under the high ball is up to scratch. Kahu has also been a Test fullback for New Zealand but not so often at club level, where he has largely played wing and centre. He has a chance at a new club due to Ben Barba's sacking but it is his ball-playing ability that will need to get up to speed quickly.

For the Cowboys to win
Michael Morgan needs to grab this team by the scruff of the neck and drag them into the post-JT era. Just as the great man Thurston did on countless occasions the new skipper will look to inspire by his actions as the Cowboys look to right the wrongs of 2018. If Morgan takes control and plays like he did during the 2017 grand final charge then his team mates will get on board and the home fans will rise.

For the Dragons to win
The Red V need to put their off-season drama behind them and channel the spirit that wiped Brisbane out in week one of the finals and took them within an ace of upsetting Souths. This is one proud club and they’ll need every bit of that renowned fighting spirit if they are to prevail in enemy territory. Tariq Sims was unstoppable in that Suncorp Stadium demolition last September and he needs to lead the forward charge.

And another thing
All the Euan Aitken critics out there need to take a chill pill. He's a damn fine player, who was on the verge of State of Origin selection last year. Big and strong, he can be a difference maker for St George Illawarra in 2019.

Cowboys Stat Attack
The JT effect will be felt in full force by North Queensland if the numbers are anything to go by. Despite the Cowboys being in contention for the wooden spoon until late in the year, Thurston ranked first in the NRL for line engaged runs (142 for the year at almost six per game), try assists (23) and line break assists (24). Michael Morgan produced career-best form when Thurston was absent for their 2017 grand final run, and will need to get back to his best quick smart in his return from injury.

Dragons Stat Attack
St George Illawarra exploded out of the blocks last season, holding top spot on the ladder for the first 11 rounds on the back of some terrific attack. They led the league for tackle breaks in 2018 and ranked fourth for points across the entire season behind Souths and the two grand finalists. The Cowboys will have their work cut out of them to contain the Red V on Saturday.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/09/north-queensland-cowboys-v-st-george-illawarra-dragons-preview/

Crush

Coach
4 days until footy starts and the 3 threads getting a work out in here are - Sack Mary
Robson is leaving
JDB Case
Great to see everyone is excited about the season ahead!
The wrist slitting negativity is on point as usual.
Millward Mess! Sack the coach! Another Jack Bird situation!
We are doomed!
The sky is falling in!

Dragons 09

Juniors
4 days until footy starts and the 3 threads getting a work out in here are - Sack Mary
Robson is leaving
JDB Case
We are doomed!
The sky is falling in!
You forgot about the CEO copping a flogging for being another Dousty like old boy. You really don't take this hysteria seriously enough.:)

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Robson is leaving
JDB Case
We are doomed!
The sky is falling in!
:joy:

Coffs dragon

Bench
Bring it on....and I'm expecting the team will get off to the standard flyer to start the season. Aitken will score a double and McIness will be MoM & all will be forgiven & forgot. We'll remain in the top 4 until Late May then we all hope and pray for a miracle after Origin! Go the Dragons

Lovemedragons

Juniors
What about his stats against the bottom 8 teams?
Would you mind posting those too?
Because if my memory serves me correctly he was instrumental in getting the 2 points on a number of occasions against the bottom 8 teams and without him playing those games the dragons wouldn't have played finals.
and add to this good point, he was effectively in his first season, this type of stat quoted can improve with development, maturity and confidence. I want him on the field.

possm

Coach
Robson is leaving
JDB Case
We are doomed!
The sky is falling in!

I can tell you that people sitting on the other side of these discussions are very disappointed in the way these matters are being handled. There is a real possibility that the current matters mentioned in your post will errupt into turmoil and as a result the fans will finally say they have had enough.

Maybe even the media will finally point to the un-professional manner in which SGI is being managed.

When this happens, not sure how you will continue to defend the indefensible.

Crush

Coach
I can tell you that people sitting on the other side of these discussions are very disappointed in the way these matters are being handled. There is a real possibility that the current matters mentioned in your post will errupt into turmoil and as a result the fans will finally say they have had enough.

Maybe even the media will finally point to the un-professional manner in which SGI is being managed.

When this happens, not sure how you will continue to defend the indefensible.
OK Possm, you keep leading the revolution, keep banging the drums.

I'll be enjoying the footy.

Robson is leaving
JDB Case
We are doomed!
The sky is falling in!
Self righteous as usual Crush.
You are a classic fence sitter that jumps on and off the popular opinion of this forum whenever it suits.
Over dramatizing commentary at every opportunity. - "wrist slitting negativity" - what tripe.
Can't wait to read your posts during the season. NOT.

Wittenberg

Juniors
I think we can win this game as the Cows will be struggling to develop combinations the same as we will. Their forwards are strong and our defence up the middle in the Charity Shield was ordinary. Norman hopefully will want to show he is worth it and we may have a little more creativity than they do.

Crush

Coach
Self righteous as usual Crush.
You are a classic fence sitter that jumps on and off the popular opinion of this forum whenever it suits.
Over dramatizing commentary at every opportunity. - "wrist slitting negativity" - what tripe.
Can't wait to read your posts during the season. NOT.
Wow, pretty fired up there mate, must have hit a nerve somewhere.
You do you and I'll do me.
Thats the beauty of the forum! A whole range of opinions from one extreme to the other with everything in between. Guess I'm the in between fence sitter!
Cheers.

Crush

Coach
Aitken right centre
Ravalawa right wing
Jordy left wing
Dufty bench
Lomax dropped.
No Robson.
I'd prefer to give Lomax a crack in place of Aitken and Robson on the bench on place of Dufty but I agree with the other selections.
I'm really hopeful that Ravalawa starts on the wing and not Lomax.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
1 day away from our 1st team list for 2019, 5 days away from our 1st game.

Its time to let go of the off-season and its dramas, rumours and speculations.

Whatever team McGregor roles out tomorrow, we all should get behind the boys, after all they will wear the big red V.

hazzbeen

Bench
I'd prefer to give Lomax a crack in place of Aitken and Robson on the bench on place of Dufty but I agree with the other selections.
I'm really hopeful that Ravalawa starts on the wing and not Lomax.
Lomax should be one center , but I can't see it happening with you know who coaching ... Anyway let's hope we come out firing and notch up a win ....

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm trying the George Costanza theory first up.

wsbhe.jpg
/

Big loss first up.
Dufty, benched and no game time.
Aitken full 80 minutes.
Robson no where to be seen.
Widdop breaks down again.
Graham sent off.
McGregor gets contract extension for losing.
Dragons bottom of table after round 1.