What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V Eels

OldPanther

Coach
TheFrog's Player Ratings (RLW format)

Edwards 8
Mansour 6
Blake 8
Peachey 5
Watene-Zelezniak 7
Maloney 6
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Wallace 7
Leota 5
Fisher-Harris 6
Yeo 7
Merrin 7

Campbell-Gillard 8
Kikau 8
Harawira-Naera 5
McKendry 7

I can't argue with that. As someone who has given it to Tamou I was happy to see him put in a really good effort.

tripster

Juniors
TheFrog's Player Ratings (RLW format)

Edwards 8
Mansour 6
Peachey 6
Blake 8
Watene-Zelezniak 7
Maloney 6
Cleary 8
Tamou 7
Wallace 7
Leota 5
Fisher-Harris 6
Yeo 7
Merrin 7

Campbell-Gillard 8
Kikau 8
Harawira-Naera 5
McKendry 7

I agree with most of that but not the rating for Edwards. He dropped the ball twice near the start of the game and contributed significantly to our poor start. To his credit he didn’t lose confidence and came up with some good takes and kick returns but I couldn’t give him an 8 / 10.

I also don’t think Maloney had that bad a game. He dropped off a few tackles but he threw the wide pass that almost lead to a try for Mansour (with Peachey done for obstruction) and he also threw the wide pass that bounced around the place and lead to Blake’s try (although it was Blake’s individual brilliance that lead to the try). He was also causing some uncertainty for Parra’s defence in the middle. He was definitely showing the foresight to spread the ball at the right time and was barking orders to the team for attacking formations.

I also wouldn’t give Leota a 5. He gave away a stupid penalty but he was otherwise quite solid in defence in his limited minutes.

Pomoz

Bench
The Peach love him, but he's not an elite centre.
It's one of the reasons he leaving. He is versatile and can be brilliant, but he isn't outstanding in any position. Certainly not outstanding enough to force Whare to the bench (when fit) or Merrin at lock (or May but only, but time will tell with the youngster) and forget hooker, he can't pass water let alone the ball. He is a great utility player. I understand he wants more. Maybe Brennan can bring out his best.

Maloney had a Maloney game in defence, he is really bad but in the past his attack has made up for it. He dropped the ball a few times and the timing of his passing was off, he had a shocker really. Should be better against a pretty weak souffs team

OldPanther

Coach
Maloney had a Maloney game in defence, he is really bad but in the past his attack has made up for it. He dropped the ball a few times and the timing of his passing was off, he had a shocker really. Should be better against a pretty weak souffs team

His vision was good though. If he can pick up the stuff you've mentioned we'll be gold.

It's one of the reasons he leaving. He is versatile and can be brilliant, but he isn't outstanding in any position. Certainly not outstanding enough to force Whare to the bench (when fit) or Merrin at lock (or May but only, but time will tell with the youngster) and forget hooker, he can't pass water let alone the ball. He is a great utility player. I understand he wants more. Maybe Brennan can bring out his best.

I’m interested to see if Whare can regain his pre injury form this year, we saw signs late last year, but we really need him to get back close to where he was 3 years ago.

chrisD

Coach
Would have been so easy in that heat to just let it go, suggests they believe in Griffin or Gould or both. Still I think so much of it is owed to Blake's individual effort.

GongPanther

Referee
That win showed a of lot of guts,determination,grit and most of all,true Panther character.

Immensely proud fan that I am.