What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 V Eels

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
Parramatta Eels squad
1. Bevan French
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Kirisome Auva’a
6. Corey Norman
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Cameron King
10. Tim Mannah (c)
11. Manu Ma’u
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Nathan Brown
Interchange
14. Beau Scott (c)
15. Brad Takairangi
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Kane Evans
18. Will Smith
19. Kenny Edwards
20. David Gower

21. Kaysa Pritchard

OldPanther

Coach
Parramatta Eels squad
1. Bevan French
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Michael Jennings
4. Jarryd Hayne
5. Kirisome Auva’a
6. Corey Norman
7. Mitch Moses
8. Daniel Alvaro
9. Cameron King
10. Tim Mannah (c)
11. Manu Ma’u
12. Tepai Moeroa
13. Nathan Brown
Interchange
14. Beau Scott (c)
15. Brad Takairangi
16. Suaia Matagi
17. Kane Evans
18. Will Smith
19. Kenny Edwards
20. David Gower

21. Kaysa Pritchard

Strong team. BA gets a lot out of his boys and Hayne will be better now that he's humbled himself, gone home and taken a pay cut.

Kilkenny

Coach
Is there anyone who can possibly be negative about his coming Sunday.

Guaranteed full house, albeit there will be as many Eels fans as Panther fans in the house.

Forget last week's meaningless trial against the Bulldogs this will be the real thing.

As I said to my wife this afternoon, who by the way is a die-hard Panthers tragic, this one game will define our season in 2018 and I truly believe this.

Given all the adverse publicity surrounding the departures of Moylan, Cartwright and Peachy it surely is time for our remaining players to make a statement one way or the other.

This game against the Eels will define our season. We need to make a statement this Sunday about our intent to deliver in 2018.

We may have limped into the semi finals in 2017 but that will surely not be good enough in 2018.

Coach Anthony Griffin is a dead man walking unless he throws caution to the wind and let's this side play a free flowing brand of footy, allow for the ad lib, offloads etc etc.

Griffin may as well go out swinging in my opinion because on the evidence of the footy dished up in the last two seasons he will not be here in 2019 regardless of whether we limp into the top eight or not.

mxlegend99

Referee
I dont think this game will define our season.

We got belted Round 1 last year. Didnt define our season. Although we were average as hell. That had nothing to do with round 1. It was the footy we played as you say.

Like you I am hoping we go back to the brand of footy Gus had us playing in 2016. His involvement in training gives me hope he wants that again too. Im sure he mentioned at one stage wanting a coach that lets his players play footy and not coaching it out of them.

2016 after Origin was letting our guys play footy. 2017 was trying to coach it out of them. 2018 better be looking at 2016 to build upon.

Kilkenny

Coach
I dont think this game will define our season.

We got belted Round 1 last year. Didnt define our season. Although we were average as hell. That had nothing to do with round 1. It was the footy we played as you say.

Like you I am hoping we go back to the brand of footy Gus had us playing in 2016. His involvement in training gives me hope he wants that again too. Im sure he mentioned at one stage wanting a coach that lets his players play footy and not coaching it out of them.

2016 after Origin was letting our guys play footy. 2017 was trying to coach it out of them. 2018 better be looking at 2016 to build upon.

Personally I don't mind Gus making the odd appearance here and there on the training field but anything more than the odd appearance surely only undermines's the head coach in Anthony Griffin.

Despite his two for two Anthony Griffin is clearly a dead man walking. He only received an extended contract on the back of the usual contract inclusions and unless we have a spectacular season above and beyond expectations I cannot see him being at our club in 2019.

betcats

Referee
Like the squad. Glad to see Soni Luke is still around, talented kid suffered a horror injury run.

Kilkenny

Coach
Here's hoping I can enjoy seeing a great win against the Eels in Round 1 because I will miss the next 7 weeks of the season due to other commitments in the Northern Hemisphere.

Don't know whether it is a good thing or not, but I have signed up for the new NRL live streaming app (Watch NRL) so I can watch our games live while I am in Europe.

Hopefully when I arrive back in Oz we are 8 from 8 and leading the competition.

Last edited:

martielang

Bench
TBH i was expecting more to be made about Kikau getting a starting spot on the edge. Many people were saying it would never happen while Hook was here...

More than happy with the side named, only changes I would of made is Katoa in for McKendry & possibly DWZ in for Peach at centre Crichton on the wing... but better judges then me rate Peachey as a centre, so hopefully he kills it. I've always rated DWZ at centre for some reason.

Really looking forward to Sunday now.

OldPanther

Coach
TBH i was expecting more to be made about Kikau getting a starting spot on the edge. Many people were saying it would never happen while Hook was here...

More than happy with the side named, only changes I would of made is Katoa in for McKendry & possibly DWZ in for Peach at centre Crichton on the wing... but better judges then me rate Peachey as a centre, so hopefully he kills it. I've always rated DWZ at centre for some reason.

Really looking forward to Sunday now.

Well we've all been saying how good Kikau has come on since the world cup so everyone is probably happy he's getting a real shot.

I'm counting down the days haha.

seal

Juniors
Really worried about our two worst defenders (Peachey and Maloney) playing one on side as well as Mansour, who struggles with contested kicks

I presume they will be opposite Hayne, Norman and Auvaa, which really scares me from a defensive point of view

Panfa

Juniors
Peacheys trial form has been horrible his defence is paper thin id prefer yeo in the centres over him or even zelezniak to centre and the big fijian maika sivo on the wing if it were up to me id let peach walk now