What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 v Sharks

Gould said if the two teams played this week v each other we would win.
And he said to gallen dragons xwill finish over the sharks this year on 100% footy.

to be fair, last year Gus also said.....

"What I believe is that sacking Paul McGregor is not going to solve one thing for that club,"

Gus is full of it.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Hahaha! I like it! The good old days eh? Only Saturdays and Sundays and if your team wasn't in the match of the day you only got updates on the radio if you didn't go to watch it at the ground. They used to give updates at the grounds as well and the crowds would yell and cheer if the teams they hated were being beaten.

Our domination in the 11 straight Grand Final winning years made the powers that be change the no tackle rule to 4 tackles, I think, and subsequently we succeeded in winning 2 since and 1 as a joint venture so that was our reward for our domination. Just like when NSW kept beating Queensland and then they changed it to state of origin, they had to change it because of NSW domination then.

Change, change, change and more change, but yeah, the good old days.
Still enjoy watching football in those time slots rather than Thursday’s or Monday nights (when they were on) etc. I understand why they moved away TV etc but the Match of the day was a big thing for both players and fans and you’d enjoy the game whoever was playing. Just lucky it was often us that was involved.
I also believe they are better games in the day as well without the night dew and poor handling and players slipping. Feel that the game overall was poorer from moving away from the status of the Match of the Day and it’s regular time slot.....

Gareth67

First Grade
Still enjoy watching football in those time slots rather than Thursday’s or Monday nights (when they were on) etc. I understand why they moved away TV etc but the Match of the day was a big thing for both players and fans and you’d enjoy the game whoever was playing. Just lucky it was often us that was involved.
I also believe they are better games in the day as well without the night dew and poor handling and players slipping. Feel that the game overall was poorer from moving away from the status of the Match of the Day and it’s regular time slot.....

Your so right Inisai , ever so right . The game was always meant to be played during the day , not night . Day games allowed a player to adjust to the weather conditions whether it was a lovely sunny day or rain was coming down - there were no damn lights shining in their faces when those high kicks wet into the air . However time marches on and this is the 21st century so the game is what it is .

Taking the young fellas out to the big match at the S.C.G. was undoubtedly the highlight of the week for the little urchins and myself . Sort of a ‘ boys only ‘ affair , away from mum and their sisters. We all looked forward to our Saturdays and of course the Big Red V matches .

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Your so right Inisai , ever so right . The game was always meant to be played during the day , not night . Day games allowed a player to adjust to the weather conditions whether it was a lovely sunny day or rain was coming down - there were no damn lights shining in their faces when those high kicks wet into the air . However time marches on and this is the 21st century so the game is what it is .

Taking the young fellas out to the big match at the S.C.G. was undoubtedly the highlight of the week for the little urchins and myself . Sort of a ‘ boys only ‘ affair , away from mum and their sisters. We all looked forward to our Saturdays and of course the Big Red V matches .
Remember how the lower grades used to come out from under the Sheridan stand, whilst First Grade from the members? There was a real status and prestige connection to the whole game...

Gareth67

First Grade
Remember how the lower grades used to come out from under the Sheridan stand, whilst First Grade from the members? There was a real status and prestige connection to the whole game...

I had forgotten about the separate entrance/ exit avenues for the different grades .

But one thing which I always recall is how that long shadow would creep it’s way across the ground from the members side to the hill , letting you know that the game was in its closing stages .

A sunny winters day when the the 3rd graders ran onto the field and then it turn cold at the conclusion of the 1st grade match - it was time to get the youngsters home and time for the old boy to get some rest for the working week ahead .

Old Timer

Coach
Oh what a sight that used to be at the SCG and the roar of the crowd as the big red v boys roared onto the field to line up on halfway for the customary handshake before "festivities" began.

I used to love watching the look on the face of the bashed, bruised, fatigued covered in dirt 2nd graders as they trooped off and especially those that were tapped on the shoulder by the 1st grade coach and told they had earned a seat on the reserves bench for 1st grade.

The was such a stark contrast between the snow white jersey with the big red V and the red numbers 1 -13 on the back of the 1st grade legend compared to the dirty shorts and clean but un numbered jumper of the man that might have to play the best part of 2 games.

Many of them grew an arm and a leg and stood a full foot taller but on the odd occasion a head would go down as he took his teeth back out and had to put them bag in the locker.

No doubt without those brave men our club would have not have been nearly as successful.

2nd grade was often more brutal than 1st grade as those that were on their way out of 1st grade would try to intimidate those on their way into the top grade.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Oh what a sight that used to be at the SCG and the roar of the crowd as the big red v boys roared onto the field to line up on halfway for the customary handshake before "festivities" began.

I used to love watching the look on the face of the bashed, bruised, fatigued covered in dirt 2nd graders as they trooped off and especially those that were tapped on the shoulder by the 1st grade coach and told they had earned a seat on the reserves bench for 1st grade.

The was such a stark contrast between the snow white jersey with the big red V and the red numbers 1 -13 on the back of the 1st grade legend compared to the dirty shorts and clean but un numbered jumper of the man that might have to play the best part of 2 games.

Many of them grew an arm and a leg and stood a full foot taller but on the odd occasion a head would go down as he took his teeth back out and had to put them bag in the locker.

No doubt without those brave men our club would have not have been nearly as successful.

2nd grade was often more brutal than 1st grade as those that were on their way out of 1st grade would try to intimidate those on their way into the top grade.
Yes it was, and a great apprenticeship for the up and comers and wonderful enjoyment for the fans seeing the new breed mix it with the old hard heads on the way out. Used to walk through the members area in those days and it was nothing to see politicians ex test cricketers, former greats and current players as they walked down Drivers Avenue to get to the ground. The SCG was like the colosseum in those days and everyone was there. Great event!

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Yes it was, and a great apprenticeship for the up and comers and wonderful enjoyment for the fans seeing the new breed mix it with the old hard heads on the way out. Used to walk through the members area in those days and it was nothing to see politicians ex test cricketers, former greats and current players as they walked down Drivers Avenue to get to the ground. The SCG was like the colosseum in those days and everyone was there. Great event!
I remember standing outside the members gates with autograph book in hand waiting for the players to come through and they were all very obliging and happy to have a chat with all the kids.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
images