What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 vs Broncos

Mr Saab

Referee
LOL It's hilarious that the Broncos are even favourites with that pathetic line up.
Still Lockyer and Wallace are deadly.

We should win this,is anyone else hugely nervous? I'm going to be at the game.
I hope we f**king thump their *sses back to yesterday,with the team we're fielding and theirs it's definitely possible.

Take a look @ your own team with that potplant named Webb. The "pathetic" line up got the 2 points.

Talanexor

Juniors
This game was just very disappointing. What cost us the game was:

1 - Il-discipline. We didn't complete enough sets and we gave up the ball far too often. Stupid mistakes.
2 - Shannon Hegarty. This guy is trash. He should never, ever see first grade ever again. If he wasn't dropping the ball he was missing tackles or conceding penalties. Get rid of him. I suppose Ben Harris will be back in the centres a bit this year.
3 - Ty Williams. He played really well, most of the time. But when he didn't play well, he was costly. He threw a hospital pass which led to a mistake from Tonga. Then he missed an all-important tackle on Yow Yeh which led to a try. At 28 I think he's had his time in the sun, bring on Farrar and John Williams as our wingers.

On the plus side, Bowen got through the match unscathed and showed glimpses of brilliance, though not enough to win us the match.

I thought Farrar played excellently at centre. His defence was rock solid and, even though he didn't see a lot of ball in attack, he made it count when he did.

The forwards were slightly disappointing. Webb was both punishing and ill-disciplined. He coughed up the ball far too often, even though his runs were always damaging. Kaufusi was solid. Not spectacular, but solid. Ben Harris is starting to look very comfortable in the backrow, I was impressed with him. And Luke O'Donell is back in form.

But Matt Scott? Worthless. Very very unimpressed. Scott Bolton was ok from what I saw of him. I think it's time to give Matt Scott a run in the QLD Cup and get the youngsters put there - Rapira or Tamou.

Also, our defence was MUCH better - even if our attack was a bit blunted, this is a good sign. Since when have we held a quality opponent to 19 points?

One thing is certain - expect to see Wallace in the NSW no. 7 jersey again this season. The bloke deserves it.

And respect to the Broncos. I think the Cowboys had their chances to win the game, but couldn't capitalise. The Broncos took all their chances and made each one count. I hope we fix that later in the season.

And I fully expect our side to include Farrar and John Williams on the wings, maybe with Harris in the centres if Ash doesn't shape up in time. I think Hegs has had his chance, and thrown it away. What a hack.

Shorty

Staff member
Saab I'll ignore your taunts cause, that's the type of person you are - Not me.

Anyway Tal I agree with everything.
It is unfortunate that it took this game to show to the coaching staff and Henry that Ty and Hegarty aren't good enough.
Hegarty...we all knew was f**king useless, hell the whole NRL knows is useless....that Steve Michaels no try...he barely f**king tackled him.

Webb is useless...his consistancy is rediculous send him a warning.

But I wasn't hugely disappointed, our defence is awesome and we're much much fitter.
Those silly little errors will be ironed out and I think we'll get some momentum and make the finals.

Dave Q

Coach
Shannon Hegarty match report.

Well firstly Shannon was a late inclusion in the cowboys side, wearing number 19, matched up against a rookie out on the Bronc's left wing.

No doubt he was very excited to get the call up and be part of the Cowboys first string Round 1 side for 2009 under new coach Henry.

The game also featured glimpses of ex-rabbitoh Nelson, who was very quiet.

Here is the Hegs chronology for those who missed the game.

Hegs game chronology

7 mins: Broncos score on non-hegs side.

10 mins: Hegs stops a certain try with a deft touch.

15 mins: Hegs covers his opposite number

16 mins: Hegs first run, he makes a solid 7-8 metres from dummy half

17 mins: Good covering position by Hegs

19 mins: It took four broncos to stop his progress

22 mins: he covers a Wallace kick well

23 mins: He makes a fine dummy half run. Respected league expert and nine commentator Ben Ikin describes him as "one of the best dummy half runners in the league." Thats something AM and I have been saying for years!

25 mins: Hegs make massive 15 metre run after collecting a Wallace kick.

26 mins: Hegs misses tackle ( one of five missed tackles in the same passage of play by five Cowboys) and the broncs go over.

32 mins: Hegs creams bronco Micheals into touch with a few other cows and stops a certain try.

38 mins: neat dummy half run by Hegs

40 mins: Hegs helps Burns and Bowen throw another bronc into touch.

HALF TIME: it is clear that the broncs are keeping the ball away from heg's side of the park. Hegs clearly has the measure of his rookie opponent.

42 mins: Hegs moves away from his wing and to the Centre of the ground and carts up the ball well against rampaging forwards

44 mins: Hegs is gang tackled by 3 broncos .

46 mins. Broncos score on Hegs wing

What happened...

The Cows were short on the right side. The broncos played in the middle and catched and pass quickly to their left. It was clear that Hegs had to move off his wing to try to force the error. Regrettably for hegs the Broncs got the ball out too quick allowing their winger to score untouched.

Matty Johns made the ill-thought out comment afterwards that Hegs was off his wing ( inferring that hegs had erred). The reality was it was 2 to 3 Broncs v Hegs and Hegs did what he had to do. Had he stayed on his wing, the broncs would have waltzed inside of him unopposed.

It was Hegs that was let down by his inside backs ( just like many of his days at Souths).

53 mins: Hegs leads the cows on the kick-chase from the kick off. Well done hegs.

54 mins: Hegs makes a solid ten metres from dummy half.

57 mins: The cows score. Hegs is noticably pumped up and yelling at his team mates to lift.

63 mins: Hegs in best cover postion.

64 mins: Hegs makes solid dummy half run.

Assesment:

Hegs had a good solid hit-out, did most things really well and will keep his spot in the side. I was hoping for a try, but the Cows backs were very rusty and hegs wasnt provided with any attacking options. But good d-h running and a pretty decent defensive effort.

Well done hegs.

Shorty

Staff member
Dave I'm not in the mood for this crap.
And either are the rest of the Cows fans, all they need coming in here is to see that...
Seriously, drop it.

Dave Q

Coach
It wasnt posted in spite, I did it for Souths LU, scrub it if you wish.

The cows looked pretty good, except that Tonga and Webby couldnt hold the ball.

Loved Nelsons whack on Braveheart.

You guys have a lot to look forward to in 2009.

spartan

Juniors
Webb was a liability,with these new rule changes he's proper fcked.
Won't last half a game but he'll do his bit for the opposition in half of that time.
cost the cowboys the game today,if he wasn't playing they'd have won.

Dave Q

Coach
Webb was a marked man though. Very hard to stop close to the line.

Burns had a good game, Thurston couldnt take a trick.

No shame in going down by a single point.

Quite a good game to watch.

BPS

Juniors
Hegs was typical. Bloody Useless and adds nothing to a team for a guy with his supposed experience

Ianc

Juniors
Loved the arrogance of all the Cowgirls fans thinking they would sh*t over us.

Wish I was as brave as you to come into a forum say something like that after the game is over.

Anyway... I disagree with you guys about Ty. I thought he played well. You are being tough on him about that Yow Yeh try.
Scott also was a stand out in a poor pack, for mine. I admit his only real mistake lead to a try but that was a good run by Taylor.

kruzin

Juniors
I really gotta give it to the cowboys supporter's i really enjoyed the game last night, my fave cowboy last night was bowen, im guessing alot of you guys are glad to have him back! I must say i am a broncos fan, but from what i saw last night, Cowboys stay matchfit and injury free and they'll get better and be real contenders :)

Shorty

Staff member
Loved the arrogance of all the Cowgirls fans thinking they would sh*t over us.
It was a one point win and...in all honesty the Broncs won through Cows silly errors rather than team brilliance.
Enjoy getting towled by Storm next week.

Ghoulies

Bench
It was a one point win and...in all honesty the Broncs won through Cows silly errors rather than team brilliance.
Enjoy getting towled by Storm next week.
:lol: Take it easy, Shorty. When did you change from being just a know-nothing to a full know-nothing wanker?

Shorty

Staff member
Umm LOL that is the most pathetic attempt at an insult I have seen on these forums.
:lol::lol::lol:

Ghoulies

Bench
Umm LOL that is the most pathetic attempt at an insult I have seen on these forums.
:lol::lol::lol:
Well I'm sorry if you weren't offended sweetheart, but it was actually a genuine question.

You've always managed to make make a fool of yourself in most discussions you find yourself in, it's just lately you seem to be taking it all a bit personally. Yeah it's funny seeing you have a tanty about Dave's piece on Hegs, but there was a charm to the way you used to bumble on with illogical arguments, without trying to be a twat in the process.

Canard

Immortal
Cmon dude, you cant expect to come into the Cowboys forum put sh*t on the Cowboys fans and get away with it.

Its smacks of low class to do it after a win.

Mr Saab

Referee
Cmon dude, you cant expect to come into the Cowboys forum put sh*t on the Cowboys fans and get away with it.

Its smacks of low class to do it after a win.

Well when do you do it? Or you just dont once the game is over the jibes stop?

Charlie124

First Grade
I think people are being a bit harsh on Ty, i thought he played alright without being fantastic, certainly didnt cost us the game. Does anyone know how bad J. Williams and A. Grahams injuries are? hope to see them back very soon so we dont have to resort to Hegarty ever again, he was our worst.

Dropped ball and stupid penalties were a problem but as ive said in other threads, they're not major problems, they'll sort themselves out with a bit more match time. I was most impressed with our greatly improved defence, this is the major thing ill be taking out of this game, looks like Johnstone is working his magic again up there.

Shorty

Staff member
Well I'm sorry if you weren't offended sweetheart, but it was actually a genuine question.

You've always managed to make make a fool of yourself in most discussions you find yourself in, it's just lately you seem to be taking it all a bit personally. Yeah it's funny seeing you have a tanty about Dave's piece on Hegs, but there was a charm to the way you used to bumble on with illogical arguments, without trying to be a twat in the process.
:lol:
Nice try again.
And again that is pretty p*ssweak and comes off making you look like a creepy stalker instead of witty and quick - Which I assume was your goal.

Latest posts