What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Bulldogs

Old Timer

Coach
If it wasnt for Foran going off. We were gone.
We will get lapped against a injury free top 4 side.
Sensible evaluation on your part.

IMO it was a fairly hollow victory yesterday and if Cronulla turn up for > 40 minutes next week they will be very very tough to beat whilst a good team would blow them off the park.

We haven't beaten a team well ensconced in the top 8 team since god knows when let alone a top 4 team.

What a terrible reality that yesterdays victory is cause for celebration rather than proper scrutiny for the fact we snuck home against the bottom team that has the worst attacking record in the recent history of the game.

ALSGI

Bench
If it wasnt for Foran going off. We were gone.
We will get lapped against a injury free top 4 side.
Agree that we’d be lapped by an injury free top 4 side, especially when the Grubs put 22 on us in short time.

Lucky win it in the end.

Foran was left off despite being HIA cleared which I also think changed the game our way and helped us. TSims will be gone for a couple I reckon and he targeted Foran. Was it worth it?

Some signs of improvement which is enjoyable but we’re also a couple of injuries away from being shite. Any of our spine or Lomax gone and we’re a far worse team.

Well done to the boys, need to improve though.

rasaint

Juniors
Plenty of good posts.

After the 10 nil lead we copped quite a few penalties against us which helped the dogs to gain field position. My heart always sinks a bit when Henry P refs us. Still the top sides defend these situations much better than we do. I think Mary claimed 6 to 1 against.

Any team losing a spine and top liners start to crash.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Sensible evaluation on your part.

IMO it was a fairly hollow victory yesterday and if Cronulla turn up for > 40 minutes next week they will be very very tough to beat whilst a good team would blow them off the park.

We haven't beaten a team well ensconced in the top 8 team since god knows when let alone a top 4 team.

What a terrible reality that yesterdays victory is cause for celebration rather than proper scrutiny for the fact we snuck home against the bottom team that has the worst attacking record in the recent history of the game.

The harsh reality cannot be brushed aside with a 'few' wins. Of course certain commentators are truimphantly bellowing how good McGregors 'comeback' is, the truth paints a very different picture. As you say OT we havent beaten a top 8 team (as yet) and a few hard fought games against depleted opposition is just sticking a band-aid over a gaping wound:

We are half way into the season and won 40% of our games and these were against, Sharks, Titans, Manly and Dogs. None of these teams are in the 8 as we speak. Remember also we lost against the Warriors and Dogs and lets say we were fortunate to beat them yesterday.
Our next 10 games see us playing 6 of those against teams currently in the 8.

Nothing in our current wins suggest we will come close to beating any of them.

Old Timer

Coach
Putting the imagery aside, did you listen to what Norman said?

Norman: "Mary let the shackles off and that's really good.... Shane Flannagan is our attacking coach."

That kind of confirms our widely held suspicions.

Btw, well played Clune. 3 points. Player of the match for mine.
I actually thought he said Flanno was “assisting” with the attack.

Regardless of shackles on or off or Flanno assisting or not Norman is a dud that does little but as soon as he does 1 thing he becomes an item for the media who in turn talk him up which apparently keeps him in the team which IMO he doesn’t deserve.

hazzbeen

Bench

Regardless of shackles on or off or Flanno assisting or not Norman is a dud that does little but as soon as he does 1 thing he becomes an item for the media who in turn talk him up which apparently keeps him in the team which IMO he doesn’t deserve.
Same as the coach , we beat a couple of teams that are struggling , then all you hear is how our coach is a genius for turning the team around and making positional changes ..... They are all delusional .....

Old Timer

Coach
Same as the coach , we beat a couple of teams that are struggling , then all you hear is how our coach is a genius for turning the team around and making positional changes ..... They are all delusional .....
Exactly

Anyone would think we are threatening the top teams

We let the dogs put more than double their season average on us and we win in the last 60 seconds off a dog’s mistake.

All of a sudden a buzz in the forum and as if by some magical event all is being forgiven and forgotten

The malaise over us is so great that such mediocrity as yesterday is applauded and the words of dud performers dwelt on as being significant.

Except for a few individual moments yesterday we we as usual very pedestrian.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
All of a sudden a buzz in the forum and as if by some magical event all is being forgiven and forgotten

Eh? Who on the forum is forgiving & forgetting Mary’s inability to coach?

People are enjoying one of the few wins we’ve seen in the last 12 months.

You can’t begrudge fans for enjoying seeing their team win.

But that doesn’t mean they’re forgetting about the potato in the coaching chair.

Who are you saying is doing this?

Crush

Coach
Eh? Who on the forum is forgiving & forgetting Mary’s inability to coach?

People are enjoying one of the few wins we’ve seen in the last 12 months.

You can’t begrudge fans for enjoying seeing their team win.

But that doesn’t mean they’re forgetting about the potato in the coaching chair.

Who are you saying is doing this?
This.
I thoroughly enjoy winning. It makes the weekend fun. The beers taste better, the sun shines brighter. This weekend we won.
That's all. It was fun.

Crush

Coach
Even funnier when you realise it's against the last place side.
Its against the dogs. That's all that matters.
The table is swings and roundabouts, ups and downs. There are teams in the top 8 this year that were bottom 8 until very recently.
The dogs are one of our biggest rivals so excellent that we beat them this weekend and got the 2 points. Enjoy it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No, he never said "assisting".

As for the rest, I wasn't discussing Norman's credentials. It was about who is really coaching the team.

I generally don't buy into this business of denigrating players. Unless they play for the opposition.

Old Timer

Coach
No, he never said "assisting".

As for the rest, I wasn't discussing Norman's credentials. It was about who is really coaching the team.

I generally don't but into this business of denigrating players. Unless they play for the opposition.
Assisting, helping whatever but I don't believe he said Flanno is the attacking coach meaning "singularly".

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Assisting, helping whatever but I don't believe he said Flanno is the attacking coach meaning "singularly".
I know what I heard and I also have eyes. McGregor isn't coaching the attack.
In other news, the sky is blue.

True_Believer

Juniors
Its against the dogs. That's all that matters.
The table is swings and roundabouts, ups and downs. There are teams in the top 8 this year that were bottom 8 until very recently.
The dogs are one of our biggest rivals so excellent that we beat them this weekend and got the 2 points. Enjoy it.

Manly last week - the same team toppled the top team this weekend. Yes we've got work to do and we aren't as consistent as we would like to be. Early days, but it appears as though things are changing.

I'm certainly enjoying it (unless it's that shitty 6:30 game on Sunday afternoons).