What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 vs Raiders

mxlegend99

Referee
Need to keep Yeo in the team. 3/3 wins for him and part of the team bumping our wlwl form.

Masterstroke by Cleary.

martielang

Bench
As soon as we find someone who.... that's the point, we clearly can't find anyone as good as him.

He's great under the high ball, an ever better finisher (not for one second do I believe every winger finishes those tries - e.g. DWZ a few rounds ago), extremely solid defensively, has a great partnership with his centre, never shirks responsibility when the hard yards are needed and continually gets us on the front foot when he takes the first hit up after a scrum. I'm at a loss at how him being of average pace (he's not slow) negates all his positive attributes?

ACTPanthers

Bench
As soon as we find someone who.... that's the point, we clearly can't find anyone as good as him.

He's great under the high ball, an ever better finisher (not for one second do I believe every winger finishes those tries - e.g. DWZ a few rounds ago), extremely solid defensively, has a great partnership with his centre, never shirks responsibility when the hard yards are needed and continually gets us on the front foot when he takes the first hit up after a scrum. I'm at a loss at how him being of average pace (he's not slow) negates all his positive attributes?

This. Simmo is safe and reliable

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Need to keep Yeo in the team. 3/3 wins for him and part of the team bumping our wlwl form.

Masterstroke by Cleary.

I like to think I had a hand in it. I've backed against us in the match threads every round, but the second I backed us, the pattern was over. If I had backed us vs. Newcastle we would have lost.

But I'm not sure what to do now.

franklin2323

Immortal
I'm not sure that's fair. He's a reliable finisher and is able to get the ball over the line at times when others might not. He knows where needs to be, has a safe pair of hands and he has a good partnership with Whare. I think he deserves more credit for his efforts.

Of course he deserves credit that partnership is great. I said all off season it must stay. aside from a bat down in Round 2. Most of Simmons is just finishing off great lead up work as any winger should do.

mxlegend99

Referee
Halves playing together is helping. Season stats are 6 wins, 4 losses.

Our halves combination has 5 wins and 2 losses though. Very good winning rate when we have Sowie and Wallace together. Also proven that Kingston and Brown aren't important at all.

Kilkenny

Coach
A players speed over a 100 metres is pretty much irrelevant.

The speed demons in the game are those who are genuinely quick over the first 40 metres.

We had one such player in James Roberts who was a true speedstar (over both distances as well) but the damage is done to opposition defences in the first 40.

While we don't have any real speedstars in our lineup at present David Simmons is quick enough and not as slow as some make him out to be.

In his time with our club David Simmons has had one poor game. He has been very good in almost all his other appearances and it is sad he is not given the credit he deserves by some of our supporters.

mxlegend99

Referee
Oh and individually:

Yeo - 100% win rate 3/3
Soward - 66.66% 6/9
Wallace - 62.5% 5/7
John - 33.33% 1/3

GongPanther

Referee
I see that as a good thing but at what point the season do you consider that combinations have had enough time to gel, i like having Segeyaro starting but miss the impact with him coming off the bench in saying that though we lose a bench spot by having both Segeyaro and Kingston but we have maybe 10 rounds to sort that out before the run home.

Moylan has been good in attacking plays but his defense still needs a lot of improvement, catching bombs and positioning are areas for concern but improved from last year, the Soward/Wallace combo is gelling and after years of inconsistency its good to have some solidarity to the roles.

the backline is set, unless we have injuries i cant see any changes, we have cover in Nabuli, DWZ and Naiqama which is great. The second and front row are the only areas where no one has really ensured they are a certain starter.

Good to have these issues now rather than rnd 20 but will need to be sorted in the next 3-5 rounds.

I can see the club in waiting to see if Moylan improves his positioning in defense.

If not,when DWZ comes back from injury,stick him at fullback and keep Moylan away from 1st grade.

Moylan has to decide whether he is serious about playing fullback or just being a flash in the pan glamor poster boy.

But like I said,it will take time.

And what that means is we as supporters have to be patient.

We are coming 3rd,and if someone said after 10 rounds we would be in the top 4 at that stage of the season as opposed to where we are used to in the bottom four?,I would thought that would be highly optimistic to say the least.

And remember,we have players coming back that will ease the burden of those now playing with niggling injuries.

franklin2323

Immortal
A players speed over a 100 metres is pretty much irrelevant.

The speed demons in the game are those who are genuinely quick over the first 40 metres.

We had one such player in James Roberts who was a true speedstar (over both distances as well) but the damage is done to opposition defences in the first 40.

While we don't have any real speedstars in our lineup at present David Simmons is quick enough and not as slow as some make him out to be.

In his time with our club David Simmons has had one poor game. He has been very good in almost all his other appearances and it is sad he is not given the credit he deserves by some of our supporters.

David Williams an aging winger spent time in NSW Cup. Merritt another. Neither are terrible but it allows Johnston and Hiku etc to get into the team

ACTPanthers

Bench
David Williams an aging winger spent time in NSW Cup. Merritt another. Neither are terrible but it allows Johnston and Hiku etc to get into the team

My question is though, who do you replace him with? Who will be as safe an option as Simmo is? DWZ? Needs more work IMO - K Naiqama? Again, has shown he has handling issues that needs work

Simmo is a safe, solid first grade winger - Not the fastest we have, but IMO, a lot more reliable

maple_69

Bench
I can see the club in waiting to see if Moylan improves his positioning in defense.

If not,when DWZ comes back from injury,stick him at fullback and keep Moylan away from 1st grade.

Moylan has to decide whether he is serious about playing fullback or just being a flash in the pan glamor poster boy.

But like I said,it will take time.

And what that means is we as supporters have to be patient.

We are coming 3rd,and if someone said after 10 rounds we would be in the top 4 at that stage of the season as opposed to where we are used to in the bottom four?,I would thought that would be highly optimistic to say the least.

And remember,we have players coming back that will ease the burden of those now playing with niggling injuries.

Moylan needs to work on his defensive positioning sure. The rest is really harsh though. He is typically safe under the high ball. I can remember two bad misses this season which is decent for a fullback. He played very well for City, had his best performance last weekend and yesterday he was pivotal in one of Simmons tries, scored a nice try and made a good break. I think he has been pretty good and if anything would be looking at him in the halves.
If it were to happen though I wonder where Moss is in the fullback pecking order now. He's no slouch either.

franklin2323

Immortal
who do you replace him with?

Who do you see in the side long term? For mine DWZ for a season or 2 before moving to fb or centre or imo our best prospect Blake. Like happened with Hayne, Inglis & now with RTS.

No one comes straight in and will go well. Takes 10-20 games for a rookie winger to atleast be solid longer to really stand out. NSW Cup can only do so much.

Things like defending short side plays, defending kicks, when to come in etc will be exposed by the good sides the sooner they get in & get past that the better.

Who do you see in the side long term? For mine DWZ for a season or 2 before moving to fb or centre or imo our best prospect Blake. Like happened with Hayne, Inglis & now with RTS.

No one comes straight in and will go well. Takes 10-20 games for a rookie winger to atleast be solid longer to really stand out. NSW Cup can only do so much.

Things like defending short side plays, defending kicks, when to come in etc will be exposed by the good sides the sooner they get in & get past that the better.

Exactly. Plus we have to do the same with the Jennings brothers over the next year and maybe Nabuli. Can't just not play them in firsts and expect NSW cup to get them ready.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We need our safe, solid players, of course, but not everywhere. We are already overloaded with them. We need a succession plan; no-one here pretends we are premiership ready this season, but we are competitive. So why keep back younger players with more upside to simply keep a wing spot safe and solid? When Simmons leaves the club, right when we should be really firing up for our challenge, we are then going to just throw all the unproven guys in, just so we can proudly say we were "solid" in 2014?