What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 11 Vs Titans @Cbus Super Stadium - Sunday 26th July 4pm

WestyLife

First Grade
So on a scale of Darius Boyd to Matt Burton what chances we see Daine Laurie get a debut? Staines got a run so I assume Ivan isn't above giving guys a go this year.

Lots of people saying go with the safe option at FB, but what if Edwards got a season ending injury at some point? Would you really want Aekins in a finals run?

Perfect opportunity to blood someone with more skill in the role, in case they’re needed at a more pivotal moment.

WestyLife

First Grade
Lots of people saying go with the safe option at FB, but what if Edwards got a season ending injury at some point? Would you really want Aekins in a finals run?

Perfect opportunity to blood someone with more skill in the role, in case they’re needed at a more pivotal moment.

Yeah Twitter seemed unanimous on Aekins and MWZ. I'd prefer to develop someone for first grade.

ACTPanthers

Bench
All I'm going to say is I'd hate to be Ivan... So many choices, all with their own merits, meaning he'll be crucified by at least a portion of the fan base no matter the way he goes.

On the game, this is in the same vein as the Cowboys for me. We SHOULD win, on paper and current form, but I fear complacency will bite us. Hopefully the staff and senior players can instil an attitude that won't allow it though.

WestyLife

First Grade
All I'm going to say is I'd hate to be Ivan... So many choices, all with their own merits, meaning he'll be crucified by at least a portion of the fan base no matter the way he goes.

On the game, this is in the same vein as the Cowboys for me. We SHOULD win, on paper and current form, but I fear complacency will bite us. Hopefully the staff and senior players can instil an attitude that won't allow it though.

A lot of truth in this.

martielang

Bench

There's a lot more to the fullback position than being flashy with the ball. I'm not saying you're overlooking it but many do on this forum. We now have strike pretty much across the field, which (IMO) allows Aekins to be a safe cog in the machine type player for us; catch the ball, run the ball. It doesn't disrupt our whole backline & if we need another ball player, get May on the field a little longer.

He never got the accolades for his positioning or defence because it's not highlight worthy, but then he drops a bomb & the carry on from some.... Meanwhile those same people will die on the cross for Naden when he makes an error or chooses to run 35m infield to tackle someone who isn't there, or when Crichton is out of position at the back which leads to a try...

snickers007

Juniors
I'd be putting Burton at 1.
If he shits the bed, we have options mid-game, eg. Crichton and Luai.

We should be trying to minimise the disruptions to our edge defence, which is why Crichton should be named at Centre. And also because I'm still unsure that he has the urgency required to make a real fist of fullback. On the few occasions he's played there this season, we've seen uncontested bombs, and general laziness to play at the ball. Defensively at FB he reminds me of Jarryd Hayne, and that's not a compliment.

So:
1. Burton
2. Mansour
3. Crichton
4. Naden
5. MWZ / Laurie
6. Luai
14. May

Edit: I'm also happy for Aikens to come back in, as he is a good, safe fullback option. I just think that our attack has been so much more dangerous with Edwards in the team due to his passing and support game - and I think Burton is much closer match in that regard.

franklin2323

Immortal
There's a lot more to the fullback position than being flashy with the ball. I'm not saying you're overlooking it but many do on this forum. We now have strike pretty much across the field, which (IMO) allows Aekins to be a safe cog in the machine type player for us; catch the ball, run the ball. It doesn't disrupt our whole backline & if we need another ball player, get May on the field a little longer.

He never got the accolades for his positioning or defence because it's not highlight worthy, but then he drops a bomb & the carry on from some.... Meanwhile those same people will die on the cross for Naden when he makes an error or chooses to run 35m infield to tackle someone who isn't there, or when Crichton is out of position at the back which leads to a try...

Look at how much better we are with Edwards back there. Edwards is far from an elite fullback but it shows how far behind Aekins is

I take your point, I just don’t think you win premierships with honest toilers like Aekins in a key position.

Our attack really improved when Edwards came back from injury. I think it’d be more disruptive to go back to someone who doesn’t offer anything in that area.

There’s never going to be a better opportunity to blood someone with more potential. We’re top of the table, a dominant forward pack and playing a below average team.

If not now, when?

kinghippo

Juniors
It has been mentioned that Burton has been training at fullback, surely the titans is the time to give him a shot.

I'd be putting Burton at 1.
If he shits the bed, we have options mid-game, eg. Crichton and Luai.

We should be trying to minimise the disruptions to our edge defence, which is why Crichton should be named at Centre. And also because I'm still unsure that he has the urgency required to make a real fist of fullback. On the few occasions he's played there this season, we've seen uncontested bombs, and general laziness to play at the ball. Defensively at FB he reminds me of Jarryd Hayne, and that's not a compliment.

So:
1. Burton
2. Mansour
3. Crichton
4. Naden
5. MWZ / Laurie
6. Luai
14. May

Edit: I'm also happy for Aikens to come back in, as he is a good, safe fullback option. I just think that our attack has been so much more dangerous with Edwards in the team due to his passing and support game - and I think Burton is much closer match in that regard.

Great post here. You’ve convinced me to abandon the idea of Crichton to FB. Burton is the way to go.

I don’t even see Burton as a big risk. We’ve all seen he’s got great composure, great hands and he’s tall. These seem like all the elements to make a good fullback.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Great post here. You’ve convinced me to abandon the idea of Crichton to FB. Burton is the way to go.

I don’t even see Burton as a big risk. We’ve all seen he’s got great composure, great hands and he’s tall. These seem like all the elements to make a good fullback.

I agree. Your basically only changing one position, instead of two or 3. Even if Crighton went back to F/B when defending.

Add in MWZ to wing until Staines is allowed and fit to play.

Could work real well.