What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 - Rabbitohs vs Eels: Saturday 29th May 5:30pm @Stadium Australia

assess5

Juniors
Very well played, great bounce back.

Still things to work on but this was a much needed start.

Just a few things that stood out for me:

The left side Ferrari went out for a spin. Honestly, it is unstoppable.

On this, I am praying we keep Gagai, he was superb on both sides of the ball. This is a priority.

We gonna miss Adam, he played really well, great vision, ran the ball with purpose, defensive was superb.

Cody is A MUST KEEP, no way we can play BS games offering him one year deals.

I thought that aside from the first 5-10 mins, Cook was still disappointing. I base this on knowing what he can do, and he just doesn't seem to be doing it enough.

Jacob Host did everything he was asked to do. With no stuff ups. Ran the ball, made good yardage, defended really well. He needs to stay in the side.

Tatola was much better than what he's been the last month.

Nicholls was superb, and it was a great shame he was HIA out of the game, because he set the tone from the get go.

Milne was reasonable, aside from one high ball drop that cost a try he was ok.

Agree with most of what you say, especially Jacob Host.
The thing about having a red hot left side, the opposition knows this and defends accordingly so my suggestion is that Bennett do some work so that Souths have a red hot right side that can be activated when needed. Like, that's his job isn't.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Agree with most of what you say, especially Jacob Host.
The thing about having a red hot left side, the opposition knows this and defends accordingly so my suggestion is that Bennett do some work so that Souths have a red hot right side that can be activated when needed. Like, that's his job isn't.
Agreed.
I think switching Keaon to that side was a good move. That side will really get moving when Cody and Adam both line up on that side but Cook needs to run with purpose that way, instead of just feeding the ball, or running like a crab with his head up, seemingly waiting for the defense to grab him. PUT YOU HEAD DOWN AND RUN!

handyman2190

Bench
When you all watch bennets interview after the game check out the question about gagai.
On nrl360 hoops said gagai wanted to stay,he would sign soon,great news, in bennets interview he was asked how close was gagai to signing,he said he is not, are we stuffing this up by offering 1 year? Or is bennet recruiting for the broncos?
I firmly believe that until the second brisbane team is anounced bennet will be working at the broncos,he is the player whisperer sabotaging us,once he is gone he will try and plunder us.

callmack1

Staff member
Yeeee haaaaa!!! After the last three weeks that is exactly what we needed and I am absolutely elated with the win! God, that feels good!! What a difference a week makes and what a performance by the lads, completely different to last week. That is honestly one of the best bounce backs I've seen.

The boys were just so on. Right from the opening carry, the intensity was there an all areas of our game. We looked focussed, desperate and passionate, elements that weren't there last week. Defence was really impressive, the best we've defended since Round 5 probably. Just relentless in that area, our first contact was strong, kick chase good and we were strong on our line. We bashed them defensively which is what we've been crying out for for weeks so it was good to see the lads finally step up. Conceding the three tries was disappointing, especially the two at the end but I guess they were all off kicks which is okay, Parra didn't actually break us down with any plays, we covered everything they threw at us. Don't get me wrong, we weren't perfect defensively but it was a huge step in the right direction.

Jeez we looked good in attack too, we completely destroyed their right edge with six beautiful tries down there. We were on fire!! Things were certainly back to clicking and it seemed Parra had no answer for it, it was just too fast, too slick, too skillful. Gotta give credit to the forwards too, they were blown away last week but stepped up massively, dominated a quality Eels pack and paved the way for the win.

Just so stoked with this win! Like I say, it wasn't perfect and we still have heaps to work on if we want to reach Penrith and Melbourne's level but this was a bloody good performance, a dominant one. And dominating a fellow top four team is exactly what the doctor ordered. We made a statement tonight.

How good is Indigenous Round?!

callmack1

Staff member

handyman2190

Bench
Bennets reply about the resigning of gagai is worrying, hoops on 360 said he is close bennet says he isnt

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Wasn't bad but certainly not at his best. It was a bit of a quiet night for him. Had a few really strong hit ups as well as some brilliant kick returns and there was multiple times he chimed into the backline and looked dangerous. Threw a number of cut out passes on either side of the field which saw the wingers find space but it didn't really lead to anything. Trell did still find two try assists though, providing two sublime passes to AJ for two of his tries with quick hands off a shift to the left. They were brilliant! However, I think Latrell's positional play was a bit off, at least not where it normally is. For two of the Eels tries off kicks, Latrell was nowhere to be seen and I feel that as a fullback, he should have at least been in the picture. He was way out of position for the Eels last try. In summary, a little bit of a mixed bag for our superstar.

Johnston: A good game for AJ. Aside from his hattrick, I'll get to that soon, I was quite impressed with his tough runs. He didn't get rag dolled and was actually making meters post contact, something that we didn't see last week at all. Found himself in the clear quite a number of times down that left hand side and I liked how when Parra shut the play down, he didn't panic and try to find the miracle ball, he just took the tackle and allowed the attack to reset. On another note, he didn't put a foot wrong in defence which was great. Then there was his hattrick. That was brilliant. Yes, AJ went over untouched for all three, such was the quality of the work on the inside but it was great finishing none the less.

Gagai: Wow. Just wow. A powerful performance from Gags that has just left me in awe. He's been good all year for us, great in fact but his game last night was out of this world. gave 100% all game and looked really fired up. His carries were so strong getting us out of trouble and he ran for 123 meters which is a bloody good effort. His hattrick was even more impressive than AJ's in my opinion because he had work to do for all three. The first, we took that nice face ball from Cody, stepped past his opposite and crashed over. His second was the highlight for me. Taking another great pass from Cody, he evaded his opposite with ease and then put the foot down 40 meters out with a show of speed to glide over in the end. Then the third was all power, desire and strength. Fantastic to watch all three. It wasn't just his attack that was impressive as the defensive side of his game was mega as well. Lead the kick chase most times and his first contact was brutal last night. I loved the effort in his tackles too, there was a few times there where he made two tackles in a row. On our line, I couldn't fault his decision making either. What a night for Gags in Indigenous Round. I'm gonna call it and say that is the best he's ever played for us. Man of the match for me.

Graham: Didn't star like his centre partner on the other side of the field but Cammy still had a great game. Really enjoyed his runs coming out of our end as he identified gaps really well last night. So often, he'd spot a gap and angle in behind the ruck which saw him gain extra meters. Had an awesome line break in that second half too. finished up with 10 runs for 90 meters which isn't bad at all. Loved his defence too as he shut down most of the stuff that came down that right edge. Really stiffened that side up in a stark contrast to previous weeks. Even when Parra scored those two tries off kicks down there, I still feel that Campbell did his job and did the best he could.

Milne: Taane was very strong last night. So strong in fact that I think he's staking his claim to hold that right wing spot, even if mansour is fully fit. He's a big, strong lad and he showed that with his hit ups. Apart from one where he was driven back, his runs were all pretty strong and I was happy with his involvement. The break he made in the first half was a highlight as he picked the gap off Trell and just went straight through. His defence was allgood too I thought. Seen a few people rip into him for not contesting the bomb that Papali'i scored off but I think that was the right call from Taane. The kick wasn't really in a threatening position so he took the safe option, didn't contest the catch and played the man. I then think he did all he could in defence after, it was just the amazing strength of Sivo that carried the play on. The only bad point of his night was dropping the bomb that lead to Sivo's try, that was a little disappointing. Such a shame that try at the end for him was called a forward pass, he deserved it.

Walker: There's a bit of talk around Cody and Origin at the moment and with his game last night, he certainly staked his claim for a spot. Cody was absolutely brilliant, back to his scintilating best!! Even when he wasn't putting on the scoring plays, he was still making good decisions and taking the right options. Almost everytime he touched the ball, Parra were on high alert and he created a lot of chances for us in general play. Then how good were his try involvements?! God he looked slick! Had a hand in all but one of the tries we scored down that left and it was his passes that were creating the space for Latrell, Gags and AJ. Particularly loved his two try assists to Gags, both were sublime passes, just beautiful to watch. Cody was on song in the other areas of his of his game too as I can't fault his kicking game of his defence. I don't think his high tackle was too bad, it was more Arrow's contact underneath that jolted Jakob Arthur's head into Cody's shoulder, he should get off that. Anyway, great night for Cody, tore the Eels to shreds in Indigenous Round.

Reynolds: Reyno was pretty on song too. Brought his running game last night and it was great to see him taking the line on. There was a couple of times where he could have kicked on the last but instead ran to put the Eels on the back foot and then shifted it wide. Both plays were a chance of scoring but we couldn't quite pull it off. Had a hand in a few line breaks and had one line break assist. Apart from the one he kicked dead, I enjoyd his kicking game too as there was a number of times we pinned Parra down their end with some great kicks. A mixed night with the goal kicking though. Much better defensively too. Not a bad game Reyno.

callmack1

Staff member
Nicholls: A real shame he was concussed early because man he made a good start!! That's just about the best I've ever seen him play! Looked so fired up and set the tone right from the start, I actually think it was him that paved the way for our forward performance. He only played 11 minutes but picked up 62 meters in that time which is great!! Also loved him forcing that Gutherson error with their first touch of the ball, that was awesome!

Cook: Much better than last week. Much, much better but still not where he needs to be in my opinion. A scintilating start from him, playing some real eyes up Footy and going straight through for a try off the scrum. That was fantastic from Cookie!! He played solidly for the rest of the game, bringing the forwards onto the ball well with good service and his defensive work rate was huge once again but I still feel he could be better. Aside from the run for his try, he hardly ran again.

Tatola: Needed to stand up and he did in a big way. I was getting sick of him just trotting into the line in recent weeks but that changed last night and he was back to the Junior Tatola of old. Ran with intent on all his charges and got through a mountain of work in both his stints. That really shows in his stats as he had 16 runs for 167 meters which is huge! He topped the run meters for the forwards.

Murray: Jeez it was good to have him back and last night just proved his importance to our side. After missing three weeks, he could have been forgiven for being a little off the pace but it was quite the opposite, he was brilliant! Instantly, with him back we looked a much tighter defensive side with his clean up work and work rate in defence. So often he hit and that was it, no more meters for the attacking player. Offensively, he was just as good as ever with some really big carries, making a shitload of meters and providing a quick play-the-ball. I just don't know how he does it!! Loved his ball playing too, it certainly added another dimension to our attack. Man, he is just so friggin vital to our side! He will get charged for his crusher no doubt but hopefully it's not too bad, that was the only negative of his night.

Koloamatangi: Every week he seems to just get better and better at the moment, and once again he was enourmous last night. Just kept going and going with strong charges one after the other to get us out of trouble on a number of occasions. In fact, he had 16 runs and ran for 163 meters, the second most out of the forwards. Keaon almost set up a try too when he made that break and put in a grubber. It's a shame it didn't actually lead to anything. Not only was he ferocious in attack but his defence was equally intense, stopping just about everything that came his way with immediate effect. His efforts last night are made even more impressive when you consider that he was playing on the right, instead of his familiar left edge.

Arrow: A really good, consistent game from Jai last night. He lead the forward pack with gusto and was a big reason in us dominating most of that game and laying a great platform. Plenty of strong carries and was pummeling them in defence. very impressed with his intensity and it really the tone.

Marshall: Played pretty well I thought. Not too much to write home about as he only pled twenty minutes or so but at the time he came on, we were starting to get a little ragged. Benji came on with instructions to steady the ship and I think he did that very well with lots of little subtle plays. Also loved him in the huddle after Gagai's third try I think it was, he was fired up and barking orders.

Host: Not a lot to say about Hosty's game but that's probably not a bad thing. He was a little quiet to start but really picked it up and did his job well. He did everything that was asked of him. Ran for over 100 meters which is a bloody good effort.

Sele: I'm a big fan of Hame and he was impressive once again last night. Surely he has now nailed a spot in the 17 as I believe he's playing the best out of Mago, Knight and Su'A currently. Brought great energy and aggression off the bench and just went about his business with little fuss. Jeez some of his carries were strong! Finishing with 131 meters from the bench is a pretty massive effort too!

Burgess: Well, it's proven a masterstroke to put Tom on the bench!! Played with a real rocket up his ass and it looks as though it's exactly what he needed. He's another of our forwards that's been really ppor and has just been trotting into the line but I loved how hea stood up and made a statement last night. man, he looked so strong, barnstorming!! Was so great to see him running with plenty of intent again because he genuinely chan be one of the more damaging forwards in the game when he does. Tom had 137 running meters in the end which is huge!! I also liked his defence, there was no arm grabbing and he was really nailing his targets.

Man it feels good to bounce back!!! Feels great to finally play well against another top four team too!! Made a statement for sure. I know there's still so much work to do but last night was a huge step in the right direction.

Just want to say well done to the club on another great Indigenous Round too, Souths always do a great job of it!

Spot on as usual Callmack!

Yeah he goes ok.

With their ambitions, the eels are a handy scalp.

I was just going to say Jim, that the victory was one for the patient fan and proves you can turn it around in a comprehensive fashion.

Rugby league is a surprisingly complex game, a lot of factors go into bringing home the bacon.

Some of the eels cheap shots were pretty grubby and unwarranted. An extension of the “Hutchison horror.”

They have massive discipline problems that Bea Arthur has no control over.

They did try to harm you and you taught them some manners.

Hopefully after the success of indigenous week, we can do Pacific Islander tribute round. We can adopt a country. I’d be split between the Maori and Samoans, but it would be a crime to forget the Tongans etc.

Jim Rockford

Bench
Yeah he goes ok.

With their ambitions, the eels are a handy scalp.

I was just going to say Jim, that the victory was one for the patient fan and proves you can turn it around in a comprehensive fashion.

Rugby league is a surprisingly complex game, a lot of factors go into bringing home the bacon.

Some of the eels cheap shots were pretty grubby and unwarranted. An extension of the “Hutchison horror.”

They have massive discipline problems that Bea Arthur has no control over.

They did try to harm you and you taught them some manners.

Hopefully after the success of indigenous week, we can do Pacific Islander tribute round. We can adopt a country. I’d be split between the Maori and Samoans, but it would be a crime to forget the Tongans etc.
I was watching the game with my Eels supporting best friend. He commented to me that this wasn't the Eels side he felt comfortable supporting. I told him he was more than welcome to come join The Pride of the League!

I was watching the game with my Eels supporting best friend. He commented to me that this wasn't the Eels side he felt comfortable supporting. I told him he was more than welcome to come join The Pride of the League!

Yeah there’s something not right with them in the head.

As you know, some players lose confidence and they resort to the grub and cheap shots.

Beas got a footy mental health crisis on his hands. Some counselling is clearly needed.

Souths are one the cleanest and purist of the top sides. Maybe Latrell is vulnerable but I think that’s age- related. There’s no high command order to brutalise that I have observed.

Same with us and a few other sides.