What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 V Dogs

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Yes.

2017:
Round 25
Round 26
Finals Week 2

2018:
Round 18
Round 23

2018:
Round 24
Finals Week 2

Most his games have been these past 2 years with only 1 loss when he played centre for us.

Do we have anything recently and actually relevant?

WestyLife

First Grade
It answers the exact question you asked. How much more relevance do you need? You don't like the answer so suddenly you're shifting the goal posts?

He missed the entire 2019 season. He hasnt played halves in 2020 or 2021. Only lock, centre and bench.

It's like saying someone who didn't play had 0 missed tackles :joy:

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It answers the exact question you asked. How much more relevance do you need? You don't like the answer so suddenly you're shifting the goal posts?

He missed the entire 2019 season. He hasnt played halves in 2020 or 2021. Only lock, centre and bench.

It was a genuine question, I was interested in the answer, I wasn’t having a go at you or shifting any goal posts.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Can we pick a captain that runs with effort and tries to win the ruck so they can lead by example instead of the utility version of Aaron Woods who will be barking at other players to do stuff he isn't willing to do?

Well done, you picked the one position he can’t really play to compare him too.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Literally won't matter who captains so who gives a f**k? Although we are trying to extend Fish so it couldn't hurt giving him the nod

betcats

Referee
Smarter footballer, has captaincy experience from the lower grades and will be guiding the team around during the game.

When was the last time he played 80 consistently? When was he captain in the lower grades?

Just playing in the halves is a big increase to his role, you need to go back a long time to when he was playing as a half consistently, they won that NYC prem 6 years ago and he was not in the halves very often in that side, making him captain also would be ludicrous considering Api, Fish and Edwards are more senior and genuine starters.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
When was the last time he played 80 consistently? When was he captain in the lower grades?

Just playing in the halves is a big increase to his role, you need to go back a long time to when he was playing as a half consistently, they won that NYC prem 6 years ago and he was not in the halves very often in that side, making him captain also would be ludicrous considering Api, Fish and Edwards are more senior and genuine starters.

I just looked at the team I picked and with no obvious choice for Captain, I choose the player I thought would most likely be steering the team around.

I’m not convinced Edwards could handle it, or want it. -happy to be proven wrong as I love the kid.

Fish- I can’t see him barking orders at players and I don’t think he’s the best choice to be talking to referees etc. - Again, I love the bloke so I have no issues if he gets it, it’s certainly well deserved.

Api- Captain if not in the NSW team.

betcats

Referee
I just looked at the team I picked and with no obvious choice for Captain, I choose the player I thought would most likely be steering the team around.

I’m not convinced Edwards could handle it, or want it. -happy to be proven wrong as I love the kid.

Fish- I can’t see him barking orders at players and I don’t think he’s the best choice to be talking to referees etc. - Again, I love the bloke so I have no issues if he gets it, it’s certainly well deserved.

Api- Captain if not in the NSW team.

I think Dy could handle it. He already would be used to telling the guys what to do defensively and Ive never seen him look more confident or involved. Fish talks on the field and he could probably get the boys to aim up and get in line just by looking at them, talking to refs doesnt really happen much any more and I never really thought talking to refs made a difference in any case unless you are cameron smith, but again it just doesnt happen very often anymore. Api has pretty obvious Captain credentials.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think Dy could handle it. He already would be used to telling the guys what to do defensively and Ive never seen him look more confident or involved. Fish talks on the field and he could probably get the boys to aim up and get in line just by looking at them, talking to refs doesnt really happen much any more and I never really thought talking to refs made a difference in any case unless you are cameron smith, but again it just doesnt happen very often anymore. Api has pretty obvious Captain credentials.

They are all fair points and I’d personally be happy with any of them.

I think conversations with the refs are still important, particularly given the focus on repeat infringements and ruck penalties. The referees like to see captains listening to them and actioning what’s being said. From what I’ve heard, Yeo & Nathan are held very highly in this regard amongst the referees. I can’t help but think that goes in our favour when the close decisions are being made.

Blade23

Juniors
Fish doesn’t talk enough

He is a lot more talkative than people realise. The club miked him up last year as part of their communication directive and were surprised at how vocal he has become. He constantly revs his teammates up and is a lot more willing to give advice out on the field. He is not as talkative as Luai, no one is.But,
he has come along way from years ago. He would see you walking past and bow his head to avoid eye contact or just slightly look up and say one word.
He wouldn't let us down as captain if given the nod.

BxTom

Bench
He is a lot more talkative than people realise. The club miked him up last year as part of their communication directive and were surprised at how vocal he has become. He constantly revs his teammates up and is a lot more willing to give advice out on the field. He is not as talkative as Luai, no one is.But,
he has come along way from years ago. He would see you walking past and bow his head to avoid eye contact or just slightly look up and say one word.
He wouldn't let us down as captain if given the nod.
He would also have the respect of his team mates. And he has a withering glare to back it up.

mxlegend99

Referee
If all our rep players were out. You would want the captain to be someone with experience and a good reputation as he will be dealing with the referees.

I dont think anyone ticks those boxes better than Edwards. It's only a minor upgrade to his responsibilities. His job largely remains the same.

May plays minimal minutes from the bench and would already have a lot more being asked of him just to play 80 minutes in the halves. His reputation isn't the best so I feel referees would react as kindly to him as someone like Edwards

JFH would be my next choice. But not sure he would be vocal with referees. He would be a great leader by example for the boys though.

Latest posts