What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 v Parra

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
That's the main reason I don't usually participate in these threads. I'm so sick of seeing posters trash Simmons and Kingston. Week in week out these blokes bust their arses for our jumper and every week you guys want them gone. :crazy:

Yep, and despite your emotive take on it, I still want them gone.

murraymob

Coach
and others think they have earned and deserve there jersey thats why we are in the stands and cleary is coach .I back Clearys choices they are working pretty well

Puntastic

Juniors
I sincerely hope David Simmons has the opportunity to continue his work with Penrith beyond his playing career. He is a fantastic role model and exactly the kind of influence we need to surround our youngsters with.

Kingston is in a similar boat, would be a fantastic influence if he played for our Reserve side and probably has potential as a coaching staff member down the track.

Nathan Smith, by all reports, is quite the professional too.

TheFrog

Coach
I wouldn't drop Simmons at this stage. He had an adequate game on Friday.

Kingston I'd take to the Gold Coast on the bench or as 18th man. You couldn't possibly drop Segeyaro from the starting side.

For everyone's information Segs made a comment earlier this year that he is committed to PNG and not eligible for SOO in a Qld Jersey .

Great news for the international game but Origin won't stop anytime soon so they have to allow players to play both.

That's the main reason I don't usually participate in these threads. I'm so sick of seeing posters trash Simmons and Kingston. Week in week out these blokes bust their arses for our jumper and every week you guys want them gone. :crazy:

Wanting natural progression and not wanting to carry a hooker on the bench isn't hating on players

Nealo 12

First Grade
Great news for the international game but Origin won't stop anytime soon so they have to allow players to play both.

He did also mention that while he does go for Qld in SOO he is happy to watch because they bash the living daylight out of each other .

roofromoz

First Grade
I sincerely hope David Simmons has the opportunity to continue his work with Penrith beyond his playing career. He is a fantastic role model and exactly the kind of influence we need to surround our youngsters with.

I think I read somewhere once that he wants to get into church ministry post playing career... but most clubs (if not all) do have someone in that capacity, probably not full time, but maybe he can take up that role. But yes, he definitely can play that type of mentoring role.

martielang

Bench
Simmons was marking the most dynamic winger in the game (and leading try scorer) on Friday night in Radradra. Radradra made one half break and wasn't sighted again after that. But yes, we should drop him for someone that most of us have never seen play more than once in Nabuli. Makes perfect sense.

Simmons was marking the most dynamic winger in the game (and leading try scorer) on Friday night in Radradra. Radradra made one half break and wasn't sighted again after that. But yes, we should drop him for someone that most of us have never seen play more than once in Nabuli. Makes perfect sense.

Well said.
I thought Simmons did an exception job on Friday keeping Radradra quite.
There were two chances during the match where Radradra got a little space out wide and I though here we go. But Simmons covered him both times and shut down any sniff of the big man thundering down the sideline in open play.

BxTom

Bench

+1.

Simmons was much maligned by many because his perceived bad defense in the Days of Walsh. Few people could understand that defending for two people (Walsh and himself) would make him look poorer than he actually was. So when Walsh went and he has a good defender inside, he all of a sudden becomes our most consistent scorer. Didn't surprise me like it did many others here. Now they are still trying to finf fault with hiom becsue of there earlier perceptions. No, he isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he is better than some think he is.

Tom.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
To me, the Simmons situation is similar to the Kingston one. Some posters here were very defensive about the idea of questioning Cleary and asking for Kingston to be dropped, going on about his heart and his tackling, and conveniently ignoring (a) his weak points and (b) a better player being available in his position. Lo and behold, Kingston gets an injury, and suddenly our attack looks ten times better and we win a few on the trot.

betcats

Referee
To me, the Simmons situation is similar to the Kingston one. Some posters here were very defensive about the idea of questioning Cleary and asking for Kingston to be dropped, going on about his heart and his tackling, and conveniently ignoring (a) his weak points and (b) a better player being available in his position. Lo and behold, Kingston gets an injury, and suddenly our attack looks ten times better and we win a few on the trot.

Difference is the guy everyone wanted to take Kingstons spot was playing first grade everyweek not an untested rookie. Im keen to see Eto given a chance but not to concerned while Simmons is in his current form, he deserves his spot.

Last edited:

Panther Pete

Juniors
Spot on.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I agree Segs is better than Kingston but who is the better player being available to replace Simmons?

TheFrog

Coach
Wanting natural progression and not wanting to carry a hooker on the bench isn't hating on players

We were able to carry Segeyaro on the bench because of Kingston's ability to play just about anywhere in the pack. He's a utility forward, ideal bench material for tough defensive slogs.

martielang

Bench

What are Simmons weak points? I assume you'll say speed but I honestly can't think of any other weaknesses that ever negatively impact our side.