What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 v Parra

franklin2323

Immortal
What are Simmons weak points? I assume you'll say speed but I honestly can't think of any other weaknesses that ever negatively impact our side.

Does he break a tackle? Does he bend the line back? Does he have footwork? The half chance he had if he had footwork would of scored inside the opposing winger.

He is great a being in the right place at the right time exactly where he should be. However the time will come when he is overtaken by 1 of the many young players coming through

maple_69

Bench
+1.

Simmons was much maligned by many because his perceived bad defense in the Days of Walsh. Few people could understand that defending for two people (Walsh and himself) would make him look poorer than he actually was. So when Walsh went and he has a good defender inside, he all of a sudden becomes our most consistent scorer. Didn't surprise me like it did many others here. Now they are still trying to finf fault with hiom becsue of there earlier perceptions. No, he isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, but he is better than some think he is.

Tom.

I don't think anyone here has ever taken issue with his defence. Walsh copped the brunt of that and deservedly so. He is good defensively and very good under the high ball. I'm not sure how you related hos defence to suddenly becoming our top point scorer either. This year he is on the side of the field that is less successful because Whare has switched (most games) and Soward is a stronger attacking option than Wallace. The reason is, has abd will always be his attack. We think we can get more firepower on that wing. In a side that has struggled for points for most of the year but is fine in defence, an attacking winger is something we need more than a solid winger.

Im fine if we font drop him because he hadn't done much to warrant dropping but I think we would be stronger with a Naiqama or Nabuli in there. It could also just be a few games to see what Nabuli has with an eye to the future.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
We were able to carry Segeyaro on the bench because of Kingston's ability to play just about anywhere in the pack. He's a utility forward, ideal bench material for tough defensive slogs.

No, a billion times no. The reason why Segeyaro didn't show the greatest form was BECAUSE Kingston was played in the pack when Segeyaro came on. We would bring on someone who looks great behind a pack getting go forward and weaken that go forward with Kingston. It's not rocket science.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Does he break a tackle? Does he bend the line back? Does he have footwork? The half chance he had if he had footwork would of scored inside the opposing winger.

He is great a being in the right place at the right time exactly where he should be. However the time will come when he is overtaken by 1 of the many young players coming through

This is my answer too.

Pomoz

Bench
No, a billion times no. The reason why Segeyaro didn't show the greatest form was BECAUSE Kingston was played in the pack when Segeyaro came on. We would bring on someone who looks great behind a pack getting go forward and weaken that go forward with Kingston. It's not rocket science.

Billy, the only flaw in your logic is that last year in identical circumstances (Kingston still on the field) Segyaro looked way better than Kingston. I'm a fan, but at the start of this season he was not playing better than Kingston and looked down on form and unfit. Not surprising since he had a shoulder reconstruction. He is starting to get back to his best now and it has nothing to do with Kingston being in the team. Poor old Kevvie, he is blamed for keeping Seggy out and then blamed for making him look poor! Segyaro simply wasn't playing well at the start of the season.

franklin2323

Immortal
To be fair, every time Brown got the ball he came back inside, basically playing Simmons out of the game.

No doubt mid game injuries always mess up the attack or defence.

There was nothing stopping Simmons from coming in looking for the ball or having a set or 2 in the centres. Yeo doesn't pass either yet Mansour had no trouble getting the ball.

No tries got scored past him though so it's not like he was terrible.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Billy, the only flaw in your logic is that last year in identical circumstances (Kingston still on the field) Segyaro looked way better than Kingston. I'm a fan, but at the start of this season he was not playing better than Kingston and looked down on form and unfit. Not surprising since he had a shoulder reconstruction. He is starting to get back to his best now and it has nothing to do with Kingston being in the team. Poor old Kevvie, he is blamed for keeping Seggy out and then blamed for making him look poor! Segyaro simply wasn't playing well at the start of the season.

So you honestly like Kingston starting and then moving into the back row during the game? You think that this is the best use of our playing resources?

And you don't think Segeyaro is disadvantaged by always coming off the bench to play in a considerably weakened forward pack?

betcats

Referee
No doubt mid game injuries always mess up the attack or defence.

There was nothing stopping Simmons from coming in looking for the ball or having a set or 2 in the centres. Yeo doesn't pass either yet Mansour had no trouble getting the ball.

No tries got scored past him though so it's not like he was terrible.

Simmons ran for 144m. If you want Nabuli in fair enough but lets not invent bad performances. Simmons was good, keeping Semi quiet is no easy task he has been the most explosive and dangerous winger all season. I seriously doubt any of our other wingers could do it as well as simmons did.

martielang

Bench

100% I agree the time will come when he is overtaken. But that times not now.

Simmons doesn't bend the line back with power but I'd argue nearly every time he gets the ball off a scrum win or from dummy half he manages to get us on the front foot by poking his nose through the line and getting a quick play the ball.

As for footwork, I agree, he's not twinkle toes but his positional play and combination with his centre is that good, he rarely needs to be.

Most of you talk like he hasn't scored a try in his life. You all realise he was the NRL's leading try scorer yeh? Oh that's right that was all down to Whare.....

The time is close IMO.

Simmons may well hold his spot this year but I very much doubt he can next year. Especially if we re-sign mansour.

franklin2323

Immortal
Simmons ran for 144m. If you want Nabuli in fair enough but lets not invent bad performances. Simmons was good, keeping Semi quiet is no easy task he has been the most explosive and dangerous winger all season. I seriously doubt any of our other wingers could do it as well as simmons did.

How is it inventing bad performances? Where did I say he was terrible. Just virtually invisible.

franklin2323

Immortal
100% I agree the time will come when he is overtaken. But that times not now.

Simmons doesn't bend the line back with power but I'd argue nearly every time he gets the ball off a scrum win or from dummy half he manages to get us on the front foot by poking his nose through the line and getting a quick play the ball.

As for footwork, I agree, he's not twinkle toes but his positional play and combination with his centre is that good, he rarely needs to be.

Most of you talk like he hasn't scored a try in his life. You all realise he was the NRL's leading try scorer yeh? Oh that's right that was all down to Whare.....

Who got the tries off Whare's 17 try assists then?

The point is NSW Cup are 1st. With 2/3 leading tryscorers in the comp so what do they do to get in?

Like Merritt and Williams at Manly he's not a bad player just may not be the best option for the team going forward

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
Simmons now is far superior to Merritt or Williams now. He had a good game on the weekend, I don't know what some people are on about. It's not like we are paying much for him either. Good finisher, safe hands, great positional play, top try scorer 2013, all for a budget price.

Are we just scared we're going to lose some young guys? Because that is a legit fear.

franklin2323

Immortal
Are we just scared we're going to lose some young guys? Because that is a legit fear.

For development purposes they need to get some experience. As we did in lower grades last year Simmons can come back in the last month or so leading into the finals.

What if either winger goes down later in the year? Or Simmons retires at season's end. We have Dallen with 2 games and Kev with 15 or so...That's it. Ideally Smith has a few, Nabuli has a few and Dallen 5 or so.

betcats

Referee
How is it inventing bad performances? Where did I say he was terrible. Just virtually invisible.

Saying he was invisible because he didnt score or run over someone is exactly what I mean. Implying he didnt touch the ball when he went 144m with a backrower who almost always comes back infield playing inside of him for most of the game, he is only invisible to you because you are desperate for someone else to be given a run.

Last edited:

Latest posts