What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 v Parra

Big Mick

Referee
As weird as it sounds...I think after last night Mansour might stay.

The offer we have made is competitive...but just well below Canberra's offer but the thing to keep in mind is that after tax that incremental difference isn't as much along with having all the moving costs associated with going to Canberra as he'd have to be based there permanently.

So those factors may result in him staying if it is a negligible difference.

Here's hoping anyway.

Panthers888

Juniors
Not sure why people are saying Simmons should be dropped.... DWZ had a run in first grade and didn't set the world on fire, yes he needs development but that's what the reserves are for, at least while there's still a very competent first grade winger in Simmons doing his job.

Not sure why people are saying Simmons should be dropped.... DWZ had a run in first grade and didn't set the world on fire, yes he needs development but that's what the reserves are for, at least while there's still a very competent first grade winger in Simmons doing his job.

For me its a couple of things.

Our backline needs more pace. Simmons has lost half a yard & is the oldest member of the backline. And he was never that fast to begin with.

We also have a stack of talent behind him. That needs attention otherwise we'll lose them.

maple_69

Bench
DWZ isn't the only guy pushing for Simmons spot though. Naiqama and Nabuli are pushing hard.
I'm just watching a replay actually. Early in the first half we had some lovely ball movement ending in a quick pass by Moylan, Whare batting it on to Simmons in heaps of space. Simmons runs for the line and is forced to pass a few metres out. I think Naiqama, Mansour and Nabuli all score that try. That's one example of why people are saying he could be dropped.

I think he could be but doesn't really deserve it, he's good, the team is winning. Wouldn't be fussed if he was though.

maple_69

Bench
Moylan made two great try savers last night as well. He's improving in every aspect of his game. Would love to see him taking a few kicks.

Panther Pete

Juniors
DWZ isn't the only guy pushing for Simmons spot though. Naiqama and Nabuli are pushing hard.
I'm just watching a replay actually. Early in the first half we had some lovely ball movement ending in a quick pass by Moylan, Whare batting it on to Simmons in heaps of space. Simmons runs for the line and is forced to pass a few metres out. I think Naiqama, Mansour and Nabuli all score that try. That's one example of why people are saying he could be dropped.

I am a Simmons fan but did say to my son at the time if Simmons was faster he would have scored then. On the flip side, I seem to recall DWZ dropping the ball cold on a couple of occasions with open space in front of him which I have never seen Simmo do so I guess it goes both ways.

I am a Simmons fan but did say to my son at the time if Simmons was faster he would have scored then. On the flip side, I seem to recall DWZ dropping the ball cold on a couple of occasions with open space in front of him which I have never seen Simmo do so I guess it goes both ways.

The difference being that ball handling is easier to improve than pace.

Likely DWZ ball handling will just naturally get better with more time in FG.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

I think he could be but doesn't really deserve it, he's good, the team is winning. Wouldn't be fussed if he was though.

Yes, and he also let Radradra go early in the game as well. Gus (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) always says that youngsters shouldn't be introduced into a losing team, so really this season is the perfect time to get some of our young backs the experience, I think. Simmons is easily the most replaceable of our backline.

Kilkenny

Coach
You have to ask yourselves what has David Simmons done wrong?

Has he cost us a game.

Is his defence an issue.

Is he shirking his work bringing the ball back out from our own twenty metre zone.

David Simmons has always been a no frills kinda player. Never going to figure in reps selections talks but geez the guy is super dependable.

I take my hat off to the guy. He drives a beat up Hyundai Excel (well he was last season) and is still on minimum wages and yet delivers for us week in week out.

Like Kevin KIngston, David Simmons has been sensational for us since he came over from the Sharks and we have paid him bugger all. Shame really. I wish we could pay him what is his truly worth which is far more than his contract.

Underrated and underpaid. I take my hat off to David Simmons. He is an unsung hero of our game. Not just the Panthers an unsung hero of the NRL.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

Has he cost us a game.

Is his defence an issue.

Is he shirking his work bringing the ball back out from our own twenty metre zone.

David Simmons has always been a no frills kinda player. Never going to figure in reps selections talks but geez the guy is super dependable.

I take my hat off to the guy. He drives a beat up Hyundai Excel (well he was last season) and is still on minimum wages and yet delivers for us week in week out.

Like Kevin KIngston, David Simmons has been sensational for us since he came over from the Sharks and we have paid him bugger all. Shame really. I wish we could pay him what is his truly worth which is far more than his contract.

Underrated and underpaid. I take my hat off to David Simmons. He is an unsung hero of our game. Not just the Panthers an unsung hero of the NRL.

And someone we can improve on.

Blues Riff

Bench
Yep, I've got a lot of time for Simmo, Kevvy too. I'm sure they'll step back when the time's right, help the reserves a bit, step up when needed, without massive egos. I'd like to think they'll stay with the club after retiring.

No one is saying he's not a great bloke who doesn't give his all.

Unfortunately for him though that's not how teams should be selected.

franklin2323

Immortal
Comparing DWZ off 2 games is the pouring rain is hardly a fair comparision.

On Mansour look at the NSW Cup team besides Moss they are all very big. With more speed and versality. So getting 15-20 hitups for 150m (good stats for wingers) is very possible so we made our offer & that should stay. Like with Gordon we have to draw a line in the sand.

Simmons strength is his positional play Dallen showed the same things in the Canberra game. You won't get them dominating like they do in lower grades for a good 10-20 games.

As long as the basics are there we are fine Simmons can comeback at the end of the year or if they struggle big time.

Comparing DWZ off 2 games is the pouring rain is hardly a fair comparision.

On Mansour look at the NSW Cup team besides Moss they are all very big. With more speed and versality. So getting 15-20 hitups for 150m (good stats for wingers) is very possible so we made our offer & that should stay. Like with Gordon we have to draw a line in the sand.

Simmons strength is his positional play Dallen showed the same things in the Canberra game. You won't get them dominating like they do in lower grades for a good 10-20 games.

As long as the basics are there we are fine Simmons can comeback at the end of the year or if they struggle big time.

150m is good for a winger.

Mansour ran for 270m the other night.

The bloke is exceptional. Very few players can do what he does.

That's not to say we should overpay him, but other players are going to need to step up big time if we lose him.

Another thing on Mansour.

What happens with Idris could also be a factor in retaining him.

Sure, Mansour isn't a centre but idris is another back who can make serious meters. If there's a feeling we may never see Jamal play again it wouldnt surprise me if we upped our offer to Mansour.

Pomoz

Bench
you have to ask yourselves what has david simmons done wrong?

Has he cost us a game.

Is his defence an issue.

David simmons has always been a no frills kinda player. Never going to figure in reps selections talks but geez the guy is super dependable.

I take my hat off to the guy. He drives a beat up hyundai excel (well he was last season) and is still on minimum wages and yet delivers for us week in week out.

Like kevin kingston, david simmons has been sensational for us since he came over from the sharks and we have paid him bugger all. Shame really. I wish we could pay him what is his truly worth which is far more than his contract.

Underrated and underpaid. I take my hat off to david simmons. He is an unsung hero of our game. Not just the panthers an unsung hero of the nrl.

+1000000

Nugget10

Juniors

Has he cost us a game.

Is his defence an issue.

That's the main reason I don't usually participate in these threads. I'm so sick of seeing posters trash Simmons and Kingston. Week in week out these blokes bust their arses for our jumper and every week you guys want them gone. :crazy:

Nealo 12

First Grade
For everyone's information Segs made a comment earlier this year that he is committed to PNG and not eligible for SOO in a Qld Jersey .

Latest posts