What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 v Tigers

Spazer

Juniors
Depends which tigers team decides to turn up, they're very inconsistent and can be good one week and sh*t the next. Watched some of their player interviews and they're desperate to get a win to keep their finals hopes alive with a tough draw coming up after our game.

However, we aren't playing at home so our chances drastically increase.

rasaint

Juniors
Inadvertently bumped into an ardent dragons fan today after missing him for a few years.

He straight away lamented the apparent pushing of Matt Dufty out of the club. He actually spoke of Dufty setting up trys with speed and sublime passing against the Storm whilst we were 1 man down before Duff injury. That led to a lively reminiscing of many of Duffs 40 plus NRL trys. His unforgettable Anzac Day 2019 solo try of decade won the day.

With Dufty’s current type of injury will we see him again in the red V? If we don’t buy Papenhuyzen / Turbo type player then forget about the hyped storm reserve fullback. We need blistering speed to win games.

I agree Tigers will be hot favourites.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Inadvertently bumped into an ardent dragons fan today after missing him for a few years.

He straight away lamented the apparent pushing of Matt Dufty out of the club. He actually spoke of Dufty setting up trys with speed and sublime passing against the Storm whilst we were 1 man down before Duff injury. That led to a lively reminiscing of many of Duffs 40 plus NRL trys. His unforgettable Anzac Day 2019 solo try of decade won the day.

With Dufty’s current type of injury will we see him again in the red V? If we don’t buy Papenhuyzen / Turbo type player then forget about the hyped storm reserve fullback. We need blistering speed to win games.

I agree Tigers will be hot favourites.
Nicho Hynes? I highly rate him.

With JP & Beale up against Talou & Roberts this week we’ll get to see a lot of Ramsey’s defensive abilities.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Big win this weekend which will re-kickstart our season.

troops back in board in the coming rounds and towards seasons end we could be again challenging the top sides.

getsmarty

Immortal
remote.axd

Coach's preview: Indigenous Round v Wests Tigers

TEAM LISTS

Presented By

24-hour warning: Indigenous Round v Wests Tigers
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Thu 27 May 2021, 07:50 PM
Share on social media
St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has trimmed his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Indigenous Round clash against the Wests Tigers at Bankwest Stadium, Home of the Burramattagal People on Friday, May 28.

Gerard Beale has been named in the centres for his first game for the Dragons since Round 26, 2014. Talatau Amone reverts to the bench with Adam Clune named in the reserves.

Cody Ramsey and last start debutant Jaiyden Hunt have been named despite their HIA woes in the Dragons' Round 11 golden point loss to the Sharks. The same cannot be said for Max Feagai who has been replaced by Brayden Wiliame (calf) on the wing.

Tariq Sims returns from suspension in place of the coincidentally suspended Josh Kerr in the back row, while Paul Vaughan has been named to start in the front row in place of benched prop Poasa Faamausili.

Despite acting as the Dragons' 18th man last weekend, Daniel Alvaro still featured and returns to the 17 in place of reserves-bound forward Kaide Ellis.

Jayden Sullivan and Billy Brittain are the first two players to make way from Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

The Dragons will wear their 2021 Indigenous jersey this weekend. All 17 jerseys, plus two team-signed items, will be auctioned off to raise funds for the club's Community Foundation.

Updated NRL squad for Indigenous Round v Wests Tigers –
1. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by EFEX
2. Brayden Wiliame – sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Jack Bird – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Gerard Beale – sponsored by Floormania
5. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by TripADeal
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Billy Burns – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
13. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria

Interchange:
14. Talatau Amone – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
15. Poasa Faamausili – sponsored by Deicorp
16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Jaiyden Hunt – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
18. Kaide Ellis
19. Adam Clune

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/05/25/nrl-team-announcement-indigenous-round-v-wests-tigers/

getsmarty

Immortal
jack-bird-doordash-210525_bc_0560-.jpg

INDIGENOUS ROUND

Doing it for Nan: Discovering Indigenous heritage part of Bird's journey
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 26 May 2021, 04:07 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Share on social media
Jack Bird will play in honour of his late nan when St George Illawarra take on Wests Tigers in Friday night’s Indigenous Round match at Bankwest Stadium.

Bird’s maternal grandmother was the person who first told the former NSW Origin star about his Indigenous heritage when he was in his teens and playing for the Berkeley Eagles in Wollongong.

He returned to his junior club on Tuesday with Dragons teammates Josh Kerr and Tyrell Sloan to do some coaching and promote the NRL’s Indigenous Round.

The 26-year-old centre said he had only found out about his ancestry through a conversation with his nan and her brother.

The 2017 All Stars representative wants to learn more about his Indigenous background but they both passed away last year while he was in Brisbane with the Broncos.

"I am going to be playing for them and my family on Friday night," Bird said. "I am proud of who I am so it means a lot to me to play in this game.

"I have only realised over the last few years that I am Aboriginal so I want to learn a little bit more about it. It was to do with the stolen generation but to be honest I don’t know too many details about it.

"We were just talking one day when they told me. It was a bit of a surprise and I didn’t realise.

jack-bird-doordash-210525_bc_0581-.jpg

Jack Bird with the Berkeley Eagles juniors. :copyright:Brett Costello/NRL Photos

getsmarty

Immortal
PART 2

"I am still trying to learn a bit more about my culture and my background, and I have still got a bit to go.

"I didn’t really get to speak to my nan too much about it because I was in Brisbane and she was down here, and then her brother passed away from cancer not long after. He knew a lot more about it."

After three injury-plagued seasons with the Broncos, he is enjoying his football again and playing well enough to be considered for Blues selection when the Origin teams are named on Sunday night for the June 9 series opener.

Not even the online abuse Bird has endured over footage of the teary-eyed centre in the sheds after last Friday night’s 13-12 loss to Cronulla has dampened his renewed enthusiasm for the game.

"I wear my heart on my sleeve and I like winning, I don’t like losing," Bird said.

"I played with the Sharks for three years and won a comp there, so it was a bit hard to take losing to them.

People blow up if you are on the field and you lose and you are laughing with the other team.

getsmarty

Immortal
Part 3

Jack Bird
"But people blow up if you are on the field and you lose and you are laughing with the other team, so I guess if someone shows emotion why do you get upset?

"I would much rather do that than be happy. I do care about the team and I do care about the boys and I want to win another premiership. Losing isn’t going to get you that so obviously I get disappointed.

"I am an emotional person and I guess I’m just competitive. I love the game and it has taken so much for me to get back on the field and so much to get back playing good footy.

"I haven’t played more than 10 games in a season for three years and that was the first time so that probably could have been part of it as well, but I definitely don’t like losing and especially in a tight game like that."

Since joining the Dragons this season, Bird has been attending junior training sessions at Berkeley of his own accord and was joined on Tuesday night by Kerr and Sloan to conduct a skills session for about 60 young players.

The St George Illawarra stars handed out Indigenous footballs and DoorDash, the NRL’s Indigenous Round presenting partner, surprised the junior players with a delivery from Sneaky Burger for dinner.

DoorDash is putting its partnership to good use, providing the NRL School to Work program with $25,000 to help students reach their goals.

"Birdy always comes down to training off his own bat and I’ve met a few of his mates so I want to start coming down too because they all just love football," Kerr said

"Everyone down here loves him because he is a such a community man and that is something I really admire about him. He is just a really down to earth person and for someone who has been through a few hardships for him to just come down here and give his time is pretty awe-inspiring.

"For two years virtually, he has been out of the game but he has worked so hard and I think he has put himself back into the window for Origin.

"He is a very good player and he just wants to win. You saw last week how passionate he was, with a few tears in his eyes after we lost so I really hope he gets the opportunity at Origin."

After shoulder, sternum and back-to-back knee injuries that limited him to just 17 matches in three seasons with the Broncos, Bird said his goal was to play every game and regain his love of the sport.

"I am doing that and if I get selected for Origin that’s a bonus but there are a lot of good players playing good footy," he said.

"Hopefully one day I will get back into that arena but for now I am just enjoying playing footy and enjoying being home."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/202...ng-indigenous-heritage-part-of-birds-journey/

getsmarty

Immortal
I know people are having some fun with it, I am too, but underneath, I’m really excited to going to the game!

I’m desperately hoping JDB will be able to squeeze into your side somehow and I can genuinely welcome him back- despite the ominous threat he poses to my Tigers.

It would be great to see all the players having a go and prove the pious, sickening, self aggrandising flogs ( critics of both sides) wrong!

Could be fantasy, but here’s hoping!

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
I'm seeing Norman Man of the Match performance 3 try assists 5 line breaks , 2 tries then a 3 year extension ..... :p

Latest posts