What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 12 vs Souths

Old Timer

Coach
There's good news and bad news..
The good news is that we have the potential to play some really exciting football as witnessed in the first 15 min this week and last week...I mean exhilarating stuff which is equal to any leading teams attack including Roosters.. the flip side is that we cant maintain it for long periods of time and that tells me that the attack is in transition and only now getting used to the new playbooks or style because it's evident the attack has been tweaked...if you're looking for an answer you only had to look at how much more involvement Flanagan had both in the box and the dressing rooms last night in running of the team - in fact, the NRL could conceivably come down on him if they wanted to because last night he looked anything but an assistant coach...the merkin was running the show!
I wonder how much difference JDB would have made to our defences discipline last night...i just think he brings so much fortitude and energy to our team...i
Sorry mickey but that is a load of old codswallop

On many occasions in many games we have looked excellent but almost entirely off the back of individual efforts and only for brief periods (the Broncos SF the exception)

People are wanting to believe something has changed which us just fooling ourselves.

Our defence held for a few games and it was the “Flanno factor”

We scored a few points and had a couple of wins “Flanno factor”

So called better team selections “Flanno factor”

It is all a myth take out the individual efforts of brilliance by Dufty & Lomax and we have SFA. No different to when Dufty was combining with Widdop.

The defence is thread bare and opposition sides can run us down easily after they concede big starts to us.

The team selection remains shit as does the bench usage.

The notion that anything has changed for the better (team wise) or there is in fact a “Flanno factor” is all smoke and mirrors and the greatest con job perpetrated on the fans and even surpasses the Gould review for a complete snow job.

In fact nothing has changed and for all the hype about Flanno and how good he is I think we have actually got worse and I sure as hell hope he gets f**ked of with Mc Fookknuckle.

Last edited:
Sims is either unfit or disinterested

Lawrie tries very hard but is simply not an standard NRL prop

Jackson Ford had a dig as did Friz but he often looks bewildered and punch drunk

Vaughan well below his best

McInnes always give 150% and can’t be blamed for the collapse

Host has had such little game time it’s hard to criticise him

Fuimono lacked his usual aggression. Had very little game time.

Kerr isn’t getting sufficient game time.

The halves weren’t effective because the forwards lacked serious bite.

The irony of it all is that our “power game” was supposed to be our strength.

Sorry mate , no sympathy for the coach at all.... The buck stops with him .... He has had 7 years in the helm and if the players are not performing drop them ..... If they are not following instructions drop them.... He said he had the team he wanted ..... its been the same crap for 6 years ...... I know you said you were kinda sorry for him , I would of kinda felt sorry for him too if he hadn't given me 6 years of crap coaching ... Im sure he doesn't feel sorry to all the supporters ...... Nah like I said the buck stops with him ....
McGregor turns up every month and picks up his big fat pay cheque.
Regardless of how the Team performs.
Spare a thought for the poor old fans who spend their hard earned to become members, buy merchandise and go to games.
The only tragic victims here are the fans.
7 years and counting...

qld redvee

Juniors
Spot on. Their managers might suggest another club would revive their career's. That's why Mcmuffin needs to go after this season as the further damage he will do next year sets us back further.
Denis, I would like to see host transition to prop - similar to matt prior . host has the height and leg speed and can tackle at least coming off the bench for prop rotation gives us a bit of size and if the move came off would be a cheap alternative for us

RPG437

Juniors
Sims is either unfit or disinterested

Lawrie tries very hard but is simply not an standard NRL prop

Jackson Ford had a dig as did Friz but he often looks bewildered and punch drunk

Vaughan well below his best

McInnes always give 150% and can’t be blamed for the collapse

Host has had such little game time it’s hard to criticise him

Fuimono lacked his usual aggression. Had very little game time.

Kerr isn’t getting sufficient game time.

The halves weren’t effective because the forwards lacked serious bite.

The irony of it all is that our “power game” was supposed to be our strength.
Jackson Ford looks promising. Simms has been Maryised unfortunately. Lawrie tries hard but a plodder. With no meaningful signings 2021 more of the same.

TruSaint

Referee
There's good news and bad news..
The good news is that we have the potential to play some really exciting football as witnessed in the first 15 min this week and last week...I mean exhilarating stuff which is equal to any leading teams attack including Roosters.. the flip side is that we cant maintain it for long periods of time and that tells me that the attack is in transition and only now getting used to the new playbooks or style because it's evident the attack has been tweaked...if you're looking for an answer you only had to look at how much more involvement Flanagan had both in the box and the dressing rooms last night in running of the team - in fact, the NRL could conceivably come down on him if they wanted to because last night he looked anything but an assistant coach...the merkin was running the show!
I wonder how much difference JDB would have made to our defences discipline last night...i just think he brings so much fortitude and energy to our team...i

Mickey, its not just yesterdays game.

When you have time, just scroll though the NRL website and look at our game stats. A few minutes worth while.

In the games we have lost after leading, we literally capitulate in the 10-15 mins either side of half time. Theres something wrong in the mindset with our players which I can only assume is lacking confidence and missing the involvement of highly paid spine players.

Both of those may be a result of the coaches game plan, and habit.

Until there is a change in culture, led by a change in coach and until some very highly paid players start aiming up, then I dont see any upside.

It took Dufty, a player who only recently has secured his spot to step up and create opportunities. he will probably be maligned for " going too far" , which is exactly what shouldn't happen as it will just deflate his confidence.

Como Connection

First Grade
Denis, I would like to see host transition to prop - similar to matt prior . host has the height and leg speed and can tackle at least coming off the bench for prop rotation gives us a bit of size and if the move came off would be a cheap alternative for us
Has to be better than Lawrie surely.
CC

Has to be better than Lawrie surely.
CC
Lawrie is playing to instructions - bash and barge. Bush footy coaching philosophy.
When he first appeared in the top grade he was not as fit as he is now but he displayed good ball skills.
He was always looking to offload and did so proficiently.
I believe he has been molded into a one dimensional "plodder" who has been given a job to do and that's all.
You never ever see him offload nowadays.
Lawrie is only playing to a fraction of his capability and a different coach may well improve him out of sight.
Just my opinion.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The best thing to happen to Souths last night was Reynolds getting injured. It brought walker to life & along with it being indigenous round he took it upon himself to destroy us.
He played well, all their indigenous boys did. Not making excuses but meeting Souths during this round was always going to be tough. We let that game slip no doubt after an early lead but credit where credit is due, they did play very well.

Datramp

Juniors
The bewildering things about this game.

1 - We go into a game vs one of the biggest packs in the league and carry only 1 prop on the bench
2 - Rather than keep the good formula we have going with Hunt at hooker, Mcinness at lock we move Hunt for what? Sailor could have just slotted in the halves. Would have allowed another forward on the bench
3. A winger who stops to offload to a fullback needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Its weird... we used to fade out 1/4 of the way through the season. now we just fade out 1/4 of the way through each game.

getsmarty

Immortal
The bewildering things about this game.

1 - We go into a game vs one of the biggest packs in the league and carry only 1 prop on the bench
2 - Rather than keep the good formula we have going with Hunt at hooker, Mcinness at lock we move Hunt for what? Sailor could have just slotted in the halves. Would have allowed another forward on the bench
3. A winger who stops to offload to a fullback needs to take a serious look at themselves.

Its weird... we used to fade out 1/4 of the way through the season. now we just fade out 1/4 of the way through each game.

= McGregor....

Dragon David

First Grade
He played well, all their indigenous boys did. Not making excuses but meeting Souths during this round was always going to be tough. We let that game slip no doubt after an early lead but credit where credit is due, they did play very well.
Souths did play better than us, however those intercepts were the icing on the cake for them If not taken or the long cut out passes were firmer and direct to our player, then the tables could have been turned. I know that Souths, even though we lead, will fight back, but gee we made it easier for them and our heads were dropping like flies after the intercept tries.

Dragon David

First Grade
I know that this is a Dragons v Souths thread, but last week against the Sharks we had a good chance of winning with a bit of luck, their forwards though were too big and fast and committed. The Sharks win against us was because they have been drilled very well. Take their game against the Broncos. They had to bring in 9 other players into the team because of injuries, and they fought back and won easily in the end because of this commitment to win and never give up.

Flanagan would be loving this and probably wishing he was at Cronulla as the coach again.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Souths did play better than us, however those intercepts were the icing on the cake for them If not taken or the long cut out passes were firmer and direct to our player, then the tables could have been turned. I know that Souths, even though we lead, will fight back, but gee we made it easier for them and our heads were dropping like flies after the intercept tries.
Yeah it was a game that after leading 16 nil we really needed an A grade game manager, someone that after getting a solid lead like that could kick to the corners, get a few dropouts and try to take the air out of their tyres before half time.

TruSaint

Referee
I know that this is a Dragons v Souths thread, but last week against the Sharks we had a good chance of winning with a bit of luck, their forwards though were too big and fast and committed. The Sharks win against us was because they have been drilled very well. Take their game against the Broncos. They had to bring in 9 other players into the team because of injuries, and they fought back and won easily in the end because of this commitment to win and never give up.

Flanagan would be loving this and probably wishing he was at Cronulla as the coach again.

Sharks showed yesterday what we don't have. Footy smarts.
And the Broncos showed what we have in common . A piss poor coach.

You're spot on about the Sharks yesterday.
Gutsy, resilient and worthy winners.
I never thought I would say that about them.

possm

Coach
1. New fullback - maybe A Johnston from Souths.
2. Ramsey.
3. Lomax.
4. Williame.
Ravalawa.
6. Dufty.
7. Clune.
8. New Prop to replace Graham.
9. Hunt.
10. Vaughan.
11. T Sims.
12. New Back row forward to replace Frizell.
13. McInnes.

Bench
Kerr.
Blacker.
Ford.
Fuimaono.

Gone or to be let go
Aitken (350k), Lafa (400k)i, Norman (850k), Luke (200k), Host (200k), K Sims (300K) Sailor (200k) - approximately 2.5m.

Maybe gone
De Belin (600k) - Could take up the new prop position.
Saab (150K) - may go or stay depending on new coach or not.

Recruitment

The projected cost for the recruitment of 3 marquee players to fill the positions of Fullback (1m), Prop (700k), and Backrow (700k) - approximately 2.4m.

Reserve Grade
Sailor, Sullivan, Pereira, Saab, Ellis, and Lawrie should all play in the Canterbury Cup Competition as ready replacements for NRL selection.

Latest posts