What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - Dolphins

Old Timer

Coach
All this unfit, gassed after 10 minutes bla bla bla is as a direct consequence of the types of players we keep signing and more importantly the body shape of them.

Our side is full of forwards more akin to the size of the great Bronco's sides that kept beating us in in semi's and GF's in the 90's and of course that is >20 years ago.

In today's NRL world our forwards are small fry and we have no big boppas to smash the defence with.

The only big body we have is Kerr and he has no clue how to use it and we keep persisting with him despite years of under achieving.

The only truly intimidating forward we have Musgrove is languishing in KOE cup and the next man up to fill that role is NLT and he is languishing beside Musgrove.

De Belin can tackle but intimidate the opposition in attack not likely and if anyone thinks other teams even think about "cake" well best you think again.

Illusion

Bench
All this unfit, gassed after 10 minutes bla bla bla is as a direct consequence of the types of players we keep signing and more importantly the body shape of them.

Our side is full of forwards more akin to the size of the great Bronco's sides that kept beating us in in semi's and GF's in the 90's and of course that is >20 years ago.

In today's NRL world our forwards are small fry and we have no big boppas to smash the defence with.

The only big body we have is Kerr and he has no clue how to use it and we keep persisting with him despite years of under achieving.

The only truly intimidating forward we have Musgrove is languishing in KOE cup and the next man up to fill that role is NLT and he is languishing beside Musgrove.

De Belin can tackle but intimidate the opposition in attack not likely and if anyone thinks other teams even think about "cake" well best you think again.
X2 ...... Said before wrong type of player , forwards mainly , the game has changed a player needs to be big , fast , athletic agile , something we are not ...... As you say wrong body shape , as much as I like him Lawrie , example ...... Just my opinion .......

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Yep. I'm struggling to see the point in persevering with Sloane at fullback. Everyone is saying "he'll get better he'll get better". Well guess what? Tedesco, Trbojevic, Slater, Dugan, Darius Boyd, all very good fullbacks from their very first games. Sloane as a good fullback is a myth.
Great post and I think this applies to juniors in all positions.

The truly good players show it from the beginning and don't need 50 first grade games to prove it. The Tigers for many years applied the same logic to Luke Brookes and that hasn't worked out too well.

This premise that young players need to be coached basic skills of the game after being picked in an NRL first grade team is a complete fallacy.

What we are really seeing is the roots of the much bigger problem that our pathways and grass roots programs has been so shit house for many years that our juniors are no longer fit for purpose.

Getting this right is the key to our long term success.

This Year?

Immortal
The dangerous tackle on Ray Stone, which saw de Belin sent to the sin bin sparked controversy, but ultimately is the sort of tackle the NRL are attempting to stamp out.

A Grade 1 offence means he is eligible for an $1800 fine with an early guilty plea being the second offence on his rolling 12-month record, while he could be up for $2500 if he heads to the judiciary and loses the challenge.

Nikorima was cited for a high tackle on Jack Bird in the early minutes of the contest.

It also brought controversy with it, with Nikorima taking Bird out in the act of scoring. Calls for an eight-point try were ultimately overlooked, although Nikorima was put on report.

The Grade 1 offence will also see him up for $1800 being a second offence on his record, with $2500 risked by going to the judiciary.

Stone was charged for a dangerous throw on Ben Murdoch-Masila. He is also able to escape with a $2500 fine for an early guilty plea on the Grade 1 offence, but could risk two matches by heading to the judiciary.

So all grade 1 charges JDB gets penalised and binned the other two get fined with no penalty or binning. Why?
Because one of them wears a Red V.
I have no problem with JDB getting binned for it, because it is a scummy act. What I have a massive problem with, is that scummy acts on our players go unpunished during a game.
Why are our players held to a different standard to every other club by the officials?
It's wrong.

*edit* Also I think because of public opinion about BBQgate and JDB's trial are playing a part in it too.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Stick with the young blokes, nothing to lose this year, no chance we make finals.
Especially Sullivan. We need to see what we have got so that we can prepare for next year and beyond.
Enjoy the good bits, try and remain calm through the bad.
And for any cricket lovers, thank goodness that we will have the ashes on soon to focus on, thats where my attention will be heading!

Old Timer

Coach
Stick with the young blokes, nothing to lose this year, no chance we make finals.
Especially Sullivan. We need to see what we have got so that we can prepare for next year and beyond.
Enjoy the good bits, try and remain calm getting towels uo by through the bad.
And for any cricket lovers, thank goodness that we will have the ashes on soon to focus on, thats where my attention will be heading!
Oh yes Warner in England being towelled up by pensioners and being persevered with that will be entertaining

Dragon David

First Grade
Enjoy the good bits, try and remain calm through the bad.
Yeah, staying awake until the early hours of the morning. Great stuff - the best cricket is between us and the Poms and of course us beating them.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Yeah, staying awake until the early hours of the morning. Great stuff - the best cricket is between us and the Poms and of course us beating them.
Yes I agree...as a former professional cricket coach I won't be missing a ball....there's nothing like an Ashes Test match to take your mind off our woes......just watching the Eels v Cowboys game...Fantastic ball movement, defence and committment by both teams....makes you realise we arnt within a bulls roar of most of these teams....

Last edited:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Theres one thing for sure we can't open with Warner (tbh hes bloody lucky to be there)..he just cant handle the Duke ball bowled around the wicket in particular by Broad...their a class outfit the Poms lead by Stokes and coached by McCullum will take some beating..anyhow just my 2 bobs worth on this footy forum...I'll show myself out

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Theres one thing for sure we can't open with Warner (tbh hes bloody lucky to be there)..he just cant handle the Duke ball bowled around the wicket in particular by Broad...their a class outfit the Poms lead by Stokes and coached by McCullum will take some beating..anyhow just my 2 jobs worth on this footy forum...I'll show myself out
You part of Jubilee Ave forum BSE?
There’s a cricket thread in there, good fun to talk about cricket with dragons fans.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Theres one thing for sure we can't open with Warner (tbh hes bloody lucky to be there)..he just cant handle the Duke ball bowled around the wicket in particular by Broad...their a class outfit the Poms lead by Stokes and coached by McCullum will take some beating..anyhow just my 2 jobs worth on this footy forum...I'll show myself out
This year the Aussies will get taught a lesson by a pommie side who play the game more aggressively than they do. Not something I've seen in my life time.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
well how interesting in the eels cowgirls game only 2 6 agains in the whole game according to fox ..
i thought cows were slowing the play the ball down and should have been pinged quite a lot . I wonder what would have happened if they were in the red v
I thought the same thing myself.......tbh last night's officials were a joke

I'm Hornby

Juniors
There's not enough depth in the squad currently to not pick them, @Crush

Most in this forum are now realising the young blokes are not up to it, but you seem to still have your rose coloured glasses on.

How many lacklustre performances do you need to see from these blokes before you realise the bigger issue that you and I have discussed before which is our pathways and grassroots is not where it needs to be?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
we need to announce a coach real quick and a recruitment manager to grab a decent player or 2 whilst there are still players to be got ..
I agree but could we make it a tad more than a player or two.....and I'm glad you said decent....no more used by journeymen thanks....I'm all for grooming our own but sometimes a club needs some decent experienced bodies to guide these young blokes on the paddock.....and by that I don't mean the Mbyes and Birds of this world