What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 - Rabbitohs vs Raiders: Saturday 27th May 7:35pm @Accor Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Another Monday rolls around which means it's time to put a terrible Indigenous Round behind us and move on to the next game. Very much looking forward to this one as we take on the Raiders back at Accor on Saturday night in Round 13. This game marks the beginning of a new block of the Season. Certainly, a tricky period, but an all-important one too. That's right, the Origin period begins this week. For the next six weeks, we're going to have guys coming and going which is really going to test our squad and test our depth. However, as JD himself has said, we have to look at it as a really exciting phase of the Season as we get to have a look at more of our squad. Some of the young guys and fringe guys will get a chance to step up and that's pretty exciting to be honest. It's going to be interesting but we can do it, we can navigate them well.

A really tough test this weekend against Canberra without our Origin stars. With a full complement of players for us, I'd go into this extremely confident. And while I certainly think we can do this and that we can get a result this weekend, the task is made all that tougher missing some of our key guys. It's made even tougher by the fact that the Raiders are potentially going to be missing no one. Wighton and Papali'i are retired from Origin, and no one else in their squad will likely get picked. Young and Horsburgh are a chance, but I think it's unlikely. So, it's going to be a huge test for us against a full Raiders squad. In fact, I'd even go as far as saying this is one of our toughest games of the year. Canberra have been in great form recently, one of the form teams in the comp and after a slow start to the year, they've really found their mojo and had a real resurgence. They won five in a row coming into the last Round and in that time, they've proven themselves to be a real finals dark horse by beating the likes of Brisbane and the Dolphins. So, they're no slouches, they're not the easy beat Raiders they have been in the past. They did get clapped last night against Manly; they looked pretty terrible, but I think that was probably a one off. No chance they turn up and play that bad against us. If anything, I think that result yesterday makes them even more dangerous coming into this one because of the bounce back factor. They won't be happy and are going to come out firing in order to right the wrongs.

Speaking of the bounce back factor, that's something that should certainly be there for us too in a massive way. Last Round was extremely disappointing. Way below our best, a real reality check. So, off the back of that, I hope our boys are really motivated, pumped and excited to get out to this one and take on the Raiders to hopefully make amends. We need to, it would be a huge result if we could. No idea about who's going to line up for us right now, because we have all these potential Origin selections up in the air. However, we know we're certain to be without Trell and Cam. Jai is likely and Cooky and Stretch are a chance. So, we'll just see what happens with the announcements today and go from there. Whoever is there, whoever puts on that Red and Green jersey on Saturday has to do a job in a tough game. Not going to be an easy one to be thrown into but I'm backing the guys that will be asked to step up to do so. I'm confident in our depth and actually really looking forward to seeing some of those fullas have a crack. As it is with most weeks, if we get our game right this week, we will be in with a chance against Canberra but we're going to have to be good. Certainly, a lot better than we were on Friday night. There's no excuse after that to not be switched on and to not be motivated because a win in this one would be huge for our Season. I'm backing the boys in, they can do this!!!

So, a testing period begins but if the boys really set their minds to it, they can pass that test. I'm excited to see how we handle a strong Raiders side and as I said, I'm gonna back our boys. We can bloody well do this! Bring on Saturday let's gooooooo!!

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Graham Withdrawn From Origin 1 by Blues: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/22/graham-withdrawn-from-origin-i-by-blues/

Origin mystery as snubbed star pulled from NSW squad, given chance of playing NRL this week: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/st...y/news-story/8a73e33caf8225a95a497847670579bb

Gutted for Stretch that he misses Origin but VERY excited that he is a chance of playing for us on Saturday night. That would be massive and would give us a huge boost. Hope that happens.

Also gutted for Cooky that he misses too but it's great for us to have him available. Hopefully a big one from him as he'll have a point to prove.

So, just missing Trell, Cam and Jai to Origin. If we have Stretch and Tom hopefully passed fit to play, we're in with a real shot against Canberra.

Hellray

Juniors
Taffe
Johnston
Tass
Graham/Milne
Milne/Thompson
Walker
Ilias
Sele
Cook
Tatola
Chee Kam
Host
Knight

Mamazoulous
Mitchell
Saluka Fafita
Cartwright
Lovett/Duncan (if TD is eligible (not sure he is yet) I’d have him debut

Rabbits20

Immortal
Taffe
Johnston
Tass
Graham/Milne
Milne/Thompson
Walker
Ilias
Sele
Cook
Tatola
Chee Kam
Host
Knight

Mamazoulous
Mitchell
Saluka Fafita
Cartwright
Lovett/Duncan (if TD is eligible (not sure he is yet) I’d have him debut
Thompson is injured mate he had surgeey last week foot or ankle.

If Campbell is out Milne will move to centre and Kennar wing.

Hellray

Juniors
Thompson is injured mate he had surgeey last week foot or ankle.

If Campbell is out Milne will move to centre and Kennar wing.
Damn really? He just can’t stay fit atm can he?
Do we give Karapani to get a chance at all?

callmack1

Staff member

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 13 against the Raiders,

1. Taaffe
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker (C)
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Chee Kam
12. Host
13. Knight

14. Cartwright
15. Suluka-Fifita
16. S.Mitchell
17. Burgess

That wouldn't be a bad looking side at all. Quite good actually. Wasn't expecting to have Stretch and Cookie available so that's a huge bonus!

I think our whole backline and halves remains intact aside from Trell missing, Taaffe in. I'm assuming Graham will be named and see what happens during the week. The starting pack remains unchanged apart from Knight in for Murray I reckon. On the bench, we'll certainly have Cartwright back, hopefully Tom with him. That'd be a huge in. Finally, Shaq earns his return to first grade too I reckon. I think Cody will be named captain.

Going to be one of the most interesting team list Tuesdays tomorrow!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Damn really? He just can’t stay fit atm can he?
Do we give Karapani to get a chance at all?
Karapani has played quite a bit of Flegg this year mate think he hasn’t kicked on yet as much as the club has hoped. JD mentioned Kennar over the origin period a few weeks ago.

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 13 against Raiders: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/23/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-13-against-raiders/

Team list Tuesday!!! And a very interesting and exciting one at that! We finally find out who will be stepping in for us.

Taaffey is the man to replace Trell as expected. Really excited for him, he'll be chomping at the bit for this one and will have a point to prove. I'm backing him in to do a job for us. He's done it before in 2021, and while 2022 didn't quite go to plan, there's no reason why he can't get back on track with a great showing in this one. The backline and halves remain unchanged with Stretch being named HUGE news for us. Man, that's a massive in if he is indeed fit to play. Cody captain so it will be a special night for him.

In the forwards, the starting pack remains almost the same. Just Knighty in at lock is the only difference. While he was poor last week, he's probably the logical choice to replace Cam as he has a bit of ball playing skills. The rest of the pack really needs to put their hand up and stand up against one of the better packs in the NRL. The boys failed to do so last week so looking for a rebound in this one. Fantastic to have Cooky available for this one!

The bench is almost completely different to last week. Jed back, Tallis to earn a debut which I'm really excited about. Huge congrats to him, this will be the most incredible week of his life if he does indeed play. Kid is a real talent and he's earnt this debut. Can't wait to see him show us what he's got. The other big one is Shaq's return, how bloody good!!!

And this doesn't normally happen but we have some BIG news in the reserves with Keaon named there!! Massive news! That basically means he's back, fit, and is a chance of playing this week. Amazing as we thought he was still weeks away. God, I hope he plays! Another needed boost.

The only negative I have after seeing the team is no sign of Tom. Was really hoping to have him back for this one, we really need him. He's become such a key for us that I'd argue his absence is almost as big for us as losing Cam. Big blow to not have him there as we were all hoping.

Still, an exciting team! Pumped to see the boys go at it on Saturday. I really think we can do this. Might be under-strength against a near full strength Raiders, but we are still more than capable of getting this done.

Saturday cannot come soon enough!!

Hellray

Juniors
Duncan named in bench to make his debut is exciting.
Kaloamatagi on the extended bench is also promising I just hope he doesn’t bump Duncan out if he comes in

Steenson123

Juniors
The Bottom Line I believe is that we need to get to that First Bye at 10-5 OR 11-4. Things would be looking good with either mark. I'm not so concerned at the non-performance against Parramatta as I am about the capacity of the squad to attain either of these two targets. To have any hope at this we MUST go at least 2-1 in these next three contests. Start with Canberra at Home. Canberra are an erratic, knucklehead type football squad who tend to play a rugged, bruising style. But as Manly and Penrith showed they can be touched up if you are ready to play.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Duncan named in bench to make his debut is exciting.
Kaloamatagi on the extended bench is also promising I just hope he doesn’t bump Duncan out if he comes in
Atkins ref and Gee bunker doesn’t make it any easier mate.

Hellray

Juniors
Interesting that Munro has been named in the reserves I’m guessing the likes of Kalo Kalo are injured? Be a good experience for the kid to gauge where he is at while training with the main guys

handyman2190

Bench
The club hasnt seen fit to give us weekly injury reports, which is frustrating,what is the problem with tom? It cant be just back spasms, we really miss his go forward

southsport

First Grade
The club hasnt seen fit to give us weekly injury reports, which is frustrating,what is the problem with tom? It cant be just back spasms, we really miss his go forward
Plenty of other supporters complaining about it too handyman.

I had a fall once that caused swelling that pressed against my spinal column and if I moved the wrong way my back would seem to lock up, so I guess football players could have similar issues and it just takes time for the swelling to go down.

handyman2190

Bench
Plenty of other supporters complaining about it too handyman.

I had a fall once that caused swelling that pressed against my spinal column and if I moved the wrong way my back would seem to lock up, so I guess football players could have similar issues and it just takes time for the swelling to go down.
Poor buga hope he is ok