What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 13 vs. Warriors Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Warriors vs. Brisbane Broncos
McLean Park, Saturday 27 May 2023
Kick Off: 5:30pm

WAR2022TEAM.png

1. Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad 2. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak 3. Rocco Berry 4. Adam Pompey 5. Marcelo Montoya 6. Luke Metcalf 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Freddy Lussick 10. Bunty Afoa 11. Jackson Ford 12. Marata Niukore 13. Tohu Harris

14. Bayley Sironen 15. Josh Curran 16. Demitric Sifakula 17. Tom Ale

18. Ronald Volkman 20. Taine Tuaupiki 21. Ali Leiataua 22. Kalani Going 23. Zyon Maiu'u

BRI2023TEAM.png

1. Tristan Sailor 2. Jesse Arthars 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Deine Mariner 6. Ezra Mam 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Keenan Palasia 9. Billy Walters 10. Corey Jensen 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Kobe Hetherington

14. Cory Paix 15. Xavier Willison 16. Brendan Piakura 17. Martin Taupau

18. Jock Madden 19. Tyson Smoothy 20. Delouise Hoeter 21. Israel Leota 22. Benjamin Te Kura​

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane certainly drew the short straw here. An away game against a team coming off the bye and the Broncos will have to do it without five of their best players. It would go down as one of the Broncos better wins if they pulled it off, but I think fans would settle for a decent effort.

Reynolds returns and he'll be joined by Tristan Sailor, Deine Mariner, Xavier Willison and Brendan Piakura. Sailor was a stand-out in the trials and has been playing nicely for the Magpies. He's a livewire who doesn't die wondering and that can have negative consequences.

Fans are surprised that Mariner has been picked over Pereira. In a game like this, fans thought Walters would value metres coming out of trouble but it appears Walters is using the game to develop the player most likely to replace Herbie Farnworth next year. Interestingly, Pereira hasn't been named as a reserve either with Leota being named ahead of him. So there could be an injury concern there. I don't expect Leota to come in, I'd imagine Hoeter would be the preferred option.

Norths haven't had the best season and Willison and Piakura have been as checkered as ever. However they were the next cabs off the rank and while Walters could have opted for Brendan Frei, Piakura is getting to that stage where he needs opportunities. He's had so many injuries I think it's important to give him these games just to show him that he's in the frame and make that transition easier. The same thought process with Willison who's had knee and shoulder reconstructions, hopefully he can have a big back-end because he has a ton of potential and could be a ready made replacement for Fleg.

Again it's interesting to note Te Kura in the reserves. He's still raw, but if you want to talk about promising reserve grade players he'd be at the top of the list for the Broncos. He's been a real weapon inside the opponent's redzone and the Magpies have enjoyed plenty of success playing to him around the ruck. He still has mistakes in him and is growing into his body but I wouldn't be shocked to see him at some point this season.

Speaking of the Magpies, Mozer supposedly had his best game for the Magpies on the weekend. He hasn't been bad for the Magpies but it seems he's been playing within himself as he gets used to the grind of playing against men. Regardless he scored a double and set up a line-break so he's starting to put his hand up after being fast-tracked.

Even at full strength this was going to be a tough assignment so fans are already beginning to think where the next win will come. There's a freedom that comes with low expectations and fans are just excited to see how some of the new faces perform.

Rich102

Staff member
Well done guys. Reynolds was outstanding. Strange game, we played a lot of the first half in your half, but couldn't get over the try line and get the ball down. Great defence.
A great effort with 5 of your better players out.

Big Pete

Referee
Well done guys. Reynolds was outstanding. Strange game, we played a lot of the first half in your half, but couldn't get over the try line and get the ball down. Great defence.
A great effort with 5 of your better players out.
It would have been a frustrating game as a Warriors fan. DWZ and Fonua-Blake made sure you guys had the better of general play but it just had all the ingredients of a boil-over. Last ditch try-savers, blown tries, critical errors, questionable refereeing and injuries at crucial stages. Don't get me wrong as a Broncos fan I'm proud of their effort and thought a lot of players who stepped in had their best games of the season, but you've got to call it as you see it.

You guys can take a lot out of it. I thought Berry had his best game of NRL and they'll be a lot better with Egan returning next week. Add in Barnett, Te Maire, Walker etc. in the coming weeks and you'll take some big scalps.

Latest posts