What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - Rabbitohs vs Knights: Saturday 12th June 5:30pm @Stadium Australia

callmack1

Staff member
Yeehaaa!! A good win tonight from the lads!! Certainly wasn't the most attractive game of Footy ever, it was slow and grinding but the boys put in a gritty performance and proved too strong. It's always good to win this style of game, always good to grind it out.

I thought the boys played well within themselves tonight as there wasn't much intensity or 'oompf' to our performance. It seemed like we went out there, knew we were the better team and just did enough to get the win. This resulted in a showing that certainly wasn't the greatest but the result was never in doubt. Playing like this at this time of year during the Origin period certainly isn't a bad thing and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of instruction from Wayne in this regard. He is the master man manager after all. I'm convinced this was the case because you look at the tries we scored, we looked a bit slow leading upto them but were suddenly able to flick the switch, up the intensity for one play and score some beautiful tries off a shift as a result. The boys knew when they needed to turn it on and they did that.

Made far too many errors in the first half and I was actually pretty unhappy at half time. However, the second half was much better and we never looked troubled in the end. Enjoyed the defence tonight, especially in that second half!! We kept them to ten points which is impressive and we were dominant in general play, the first up contact, line speed and kick chase was mega from the lads tonight and that's really pleasing as it's the main area where we've been lacking in recent Rounds.

Adding to the gritty game was the Refereeing. I thought it was atrocious tonight with Newcastle being allowed a very skinny ten all night. In fact, there were moments where they were two meters offside and the Ref did nothing about it.

Just happy to come away with an important two points in our first game during Origin. Great work lads!!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Yeehaaa!! A good win tonight from the lads!! Certainly wasn't the most attractive game of Footy ever, it was slow and grinding but the boys put in a gritty performance and proved too strong. It's always good to win this style of game, always good to grind it out.

I thought the boys played well within themselves tonight as there wasn't much intensity or 'oompf' to our performance. It seemed like we went out there, knew we were the better team and just did enough to get the win. This resulted in a showing that certainly wasn't the greatest but the result was never in doubt. Playing like this at this time of year during the Origin period certainly isn't a bad thing and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of instruction from Wayne in this regard. He is the master man manager after all. I'm convinced this was the case because you look at the tries we scored, we looked a bit slow leading upto them but were suddenly able to flick the switch, up the intensity for one play and score some beautiful tries off a shift as a result. The boys knew when they needed to turn it on and they did that.

Made far too many errors in the first half and I was actually pretty unhappy at half time. However, the second half was much better and we never looked troubled in the end. Enjoyed the defence tonight, especially in that second half!! We kept them to ten points which is impressive and we were dominant in general play, the first up contact, line speed and kick chase was mega from the lads tonight and that's really pleasing as it's the main area where we've been lacking in recent Rounds.

Adding to the gritty game was the Refereeing. I thought it was atrocious tonight with Newcastle being allowed a very skinny ten all night. In fact, there were moments where they were two meters offside and the Ref did nothing about it.

Just happy to come away with an important two points in our first game during Origin. Great work lads!!
My voice is struggling a bit tonight Callmack after that. The 10 metres was short for the Knights like as our guy was getting up and hadn’t played the ball they were already 2 metres offside some of them 3 metres offside. Also the ruck speed was a crawl and they seemed to hold us down for an eternity but when we did it he gave them six again.

The Knights did turn up and we knew they’d put in a better performance. I also wasn’t that happy with the first half, coming up to half time our completion rate was something like 55 percent. To the boys credit though we tackled well and scrambled for one another.

Cody did lots of little things right tonight his kicks he did were bang on as was his kick chase and defence. I thought our best player was Keaon though he was enormous.

Trell: Made some very good defensive plays and had a couple of line breaks with kick metres. He was dodgy under the high ball a bit though and had some errors. Can’t be too hard on him though was an enormous effort to back up and in the second half we had to move him to the wing at times. At the end he looked like something was bothering him so I’m not sure he will be ok to play next week, it’d be 3 games in 8 days.

AJ: Had that error that handed the Knights their second try and as usual was shaky under the high ball. I thought he was good at the shit work carries tonight though and the tries he scored were awesome 2 of them he still had lots of work to do and lots of other wingers wouldn’t have scored those tries.

Campbell: Seemed to cop a knock early on I think to his sternum and he was in pain most of the match from what I could tell but he kept turning up in defence and made some very tough carries. I’m bloody proud of him. Hope the sternum isn’t anything too serious.

Burns: Well it was a very good game for him he was very involved and he had some runs where he came charging onto the ball with great energy and got fast play the balls away. He was hungry for work and his defence was on song. He went down a couple of times clutching something so I hope he’s ok. I’ll forgive him for his couple of errors.

Milne: He also looked sore during the game I think his ribs still aren’t right and are giving him trouble. He also was clutching his leg at times in the second half. Overall his defence was good except for the try he let in it was a bad read. He did give a penalty or two away I think but I loved his shit work carries and a couple of kick returns where he charged into the defence even with how sore he was he was still giving it his all. Certainly I think he deserves to hold the spot over Mansour.

Cody: Well I touched on him early. But his ability to create on the edges when needed is bloody good. Some might say he didn’t have a good game which ive seen a few say but I thought he was right up there as one of our best. It was a dewy field and I thought he controlled play nicely.

Reynolds: Was a very solid performance. I thought most of his kicks were very good, his defence was on song and his goal kicking was at its brilliant best.

Nicholls: Went about his work as he does. Made 38 tackles with 0 missed and had 13 hit ups for 97 metres. You don’t always realise the tough stuff he does but he needs to be commended for his consistency. He didn’t let us down.

Benji: I was a bit disappointed he had a few errors and his passes were off overall. Credit to him for his defence though he did well handling the Knights big boys and did not shirk away from tough contact.

Tatola: Was a solid game from Junior he had a couple of very strong carries. He had 37 tackles 0 missed and 10 runs for 90 metres. His metres are a bit down on last year though. I want to see him back making 120-130 metres consistently.

Koloamtangi: Well I’d love to know what he learnt coming out of origin camp. Keaon was enormous for us our best player tonight. He was in everything made 30 tackles did not miss any. He had 16 carries as well and in every one he was fighting for an extra metre with powerful leg drive. He seems to be getting every week.

Host: Was very solid did his job made some good no nonsense hit ups. He made a try saver on Clifford as well. In defence though he missed 8 tackles so this needs to improve. The rest of the team only missed 8 tackles between them all so really Hosty missing 8 tackles is not up to standard.

Sele: Had a solid first stint but a very short second stint. I didn’t notice him much but he did his job I guess.

Su’a: A better performance from Su’a had good energy in his carries and was better in defence. Loved his try where he kicked the loose ball ahead re gathered and scored.

Tom: I am gonna be brutally honest here and say that was an unacceptable performance from Tom. He had a couple of poor errors and he was the most flat footed I’ve seen he just did not run onto the ball at all. He had something like 11 runs for 62 metres, we need more than that. For a player of his quality it’s not good enough. It makes me wonder if he’s carrying an injury?

Mamozoulos: Played 33mins and did not let us down. His service from dummy half was good and he held his own in defence. He had 1 or 2 nice darts out of dummy half as well. He’s one for the future. I look forward to watching him again in round 17

So all in all a pleasing win all things considered with who we have out!

GLORY GLORY BELT IT OUT LOUD AND PROUD GO YOU GOOD THINGS SOUTH SYDNEY MARCHES ON!!!

P.S. got a photo with the great and legendary Mario Fenech as well.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
My voice is struggling a bit tonight Callmack after that. The 10 metres was short for the Knights like as our guy was getting up and hadn’t played the ball they were already 2 metres offside some of them 3 metres offside. Also the ruck speed was a crawl and they seemed to hold us down for an eternity but when we did it he gave them six again.

The Knights did turn up and we knew they’d put in a better performance. I also wasn’t that happy with the first half, coming up to half time our completion rate was something like 55 percent. To the boys credit though we tackled well and scrambled for one another.

Cody did lots of little things right tonight his kicks he did were bang on as was his kick chase and defence. I thought our best player was Keaon though he was enormous.

Trell: Made some very good defensive plays and had a couple of line breaks with kick metres. He was dodgy under the high ball a bit though and had some errors. Can’t be too hard on him though was an enormous effort to back up and in the second half we had to move him to the wing at times. At the end he looked like something was bothering him so I’m not sure he will be ok to play next week, it’d be 3 games in 8 days.

AJ: Had that error that handed the Knights their second try and as usual was shaky under the high ball. I thought he was good at the shit work carries tonight though and the tries he scored were awesome 2 of them he still had lots of work to do and lots of other wingers wouldn’t have scored those tries.

Campbell: Seemed to cop a knock early on I think to his sternum and he was in pain most of the match from what I could tell but he kept turning up in defence and made some very tough carries. I’m bloody proud of him. Hope the sternum isn’t anything too serious.

Burns: Well it was a very good game for him he was very involved and he had some runs where he came charging onto the ball with great energy and got fast play the balls away. He was hungry for work and his defence was on song. He went down a couple of times clutching something so I hope he’s ok. I’ll forgive him for his couple of errors.

Milne: He also looked sore during the game I think his ribs still aren’t right and are giving him trouble. He also was clutching his leg at times in the second half. Overall his defence was good except for the try he let in it was a bad read. He did give a penalty or two away I think but I loved his shit work carries and a couple of kick returns where he charged into the defence even with how sore he was he was still giving it his all. Certainly I think he deserves to hold the spot over Mansour.

Cody: Well I touched on him early. But his ability to create on the edges when needed is bloody good. Some might say he didn’t have a good game which ive seen a few say but I thought he was right up there as one of our best. It was a dewy field and I thought he controlled play nicely.

Reynolds: Was a very solid performance. I thought most of his kicks were very good, his defence was on song and his goal kicking was at its brilliant best.

Nicholls: Went about his work as he does. Made 38 tackles with 0 missed and had 13 hit ups for 97 metres. You don’t always realise the tough stuff he does but he needs to be commended for his consistency. He didn’t let us down.

Benji: I was a bit disappointed he had a few errors and his passes were off overall. Credit to him for his defence though he did well handling the Knights big boys and did not shirk away from tough contact.

Tatola: Was a solid game from Junior he had a couple of very strong carries. He had 37 tackles 0 missed and 10 runs for 90 metres. His metres are a bit down on last year though. I want to see him back making 120-130 metres consistently.

Koloamtangi: Well I’d love to know what he learnt coming out of origin camp. Keaon was enormous for us our best player tonight. He was in everything made 30 tackles did not miss any. He had 16 carries as well and in every one he was fighting for an extra metre with powerful leg drive. He seems to be getting every week.

Host: Was very solid did his job made some good no nonsense hit ups. He made a try saver on Clifford as well. In defence though he missed 8 tackles so this needs to improve. The rest of the team only missed 8 tackles between them all so really Hosty missing 8 tackles is not up to standard.

Sele: Had a solid first stint but a very short second stint. I didn’t notice him much but he did his job I guess.

Su’a: A better performance from Su’a had good energy in his carries and was better in defence. Loved his try where he kicked the loose ball ahead re gathered and scored.

Tom: I am gonna be brutally honest here and say that was an unacceptable performance from Tom. He had a couple of poor errors and he was the most flat footed I’ve seen he just did not run onto the ball at all. He had something like 11 runs for 62 metres, we need more than that. For a player of his quality it’s not good enough. It makes me wonder if he’s carrying an injury?

Mamozoulos: Played 33mins and did not let us down. His service from dummy half was good and he held his own in defence. He had 1 or 2 nice darts out of dummy half as well. He’s one for the future. I look forward to watching him again in round 17

So all in all a pleasing win all things considered with who we have out!

GLORY GLORY BELT IT OUT LOUD AND PROUD GO YOU GOOD THINGS SOUTH SYDNEY MARCHES ON!!!

P.S. got a photo with the great and legendary Mario Fenech as well.
Good analysis, I concur with your thoughts

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Pretty bloody good game from Trell. Yes, it wasn't his absolute best but when you consider that he was backing up from a huge Origin game, the performance he did put on was pretty remarkable. He was heavily involved, taking a lot of runs and tough hit ups, and cleaned up a lot of the scraps off Newcastle grubbers and attacking kicks. Just quickly, I want to make mention of him as a decoy. His presence on the end of our shifts is now massive and him just being there is a great decoy. In the two tries we scored off Cody's cut out balls, it's Tuala who rushes in on Latrell to create the space. Really enjoyed some of his defensive work too. Made two scintilating line breaks out of nothing that were awesome to watch and it's just a shame we couldn't finish them off. Latrell certainly did look a bit tired, he maybe could have scored off both those plays if he wasn't so fatigued. The only real nagative to his game was his work under the high ball, he looked a bit shaky there. However, you can't knock his performance too much. Well done Trell.

Johnston: Brilliant game! Started the game on fire as he took that pass from Burns early on attacking their line and just burned the men inside him with pace to stroll over. His second try was much the same and then hius third was amazing, such a great finish!! He had a lot of work to do for that one and leapt from a fair way out but with his entire body out, he managed to ground the ball in. An amazing finish to complete his hattrick. In between all the flashy tries, I liked all the other areas of AJ's game too. Didin't put a foot wrong in defence (apart from maybe batting it back when the Knights scored their second), I thought his kick returns were really good and he went looking for work and made some tough runs. One of the better games I've seen him play.

Burns: Speaking of someone who had one of their better games, that was also the case for Burnsy last night. He was in everything. Chimed into the backline well all game and it was his quick hands that laid on the try for AJ. His running game coming out of trouble was quality too, constantly taking tough carries to take the pressure off the forwards and he got though a mountain of work. This can be seen in the stats as he picked up 144 meters, a huge effort. Got stripped of the ball twice in the only real negatives to his game but even with those I thought he was a bit hard done by as it seemed to me the tackle was already complete each time.

Graham: Didn't have a super outstanding night but didn't have a bad one either. He was solid and did his job. Loved Cammy's defence as he was constantly shutting down plays down that right edge of ours and not a lot got past him apart from that one try where him and Taane made a bit of a misread. His defensive effort on the kick chase was mega as he put on some good shots with great first contact or he was able to hit and stick, and drive them back. Solid running game all night too.

Milne: Taane had a pretty good night also. Rolled his sleeves up and got down and dirty for the full eighty minutes as he was constantly taking the tough runs and getting through a lot of the shit work. He did well there too, winning most of his collisions. Getting over 100 meters for a winger is a bloody good effort. Pretty impressive in defence too, jammed in and shut down a lot of the Knights play before they could find that final pass but there was one that got past him which was a bit of an error. I've just been quite impressed by Milne since he made his debut, he certainly keeps Mansour out of the side at the moment.

Walker: He's been criticised a bit fro not being super involved last night but I thought Cody had a super game as he really took control of the opportunities we had. It was that grinding style of game with a lot of Footy being a battle in no mans land through the middle which meant Cody had limited opportunities. Still, when we were attacking the line and had some opportunites, man he was amazing! Had a hand in AJ's frist try on that shift and then AJ's next two were a direct result off Cody. Both times it was Cody with the great vision to through two perfect face balls across everyone to send AJ over. They were beautiful passes both times, two awesome try assisits. I was probably most impressed with Cody's defence though, he was mega in that area. Constantly lead the kick chance and got a few really good, aggressive, belting shots in on Tex Hoy. Shut down countless plays on our line too.

Reynolds: A good, solid game from Reyno. aside from the one that was caught in goal, his kicking game was near on perfect! He constantly had Newcastle coming off their own line or out of their own 20 meter zone and there was even a few kicks he put in that got us out of trouble. Not to mention his goal kicking, that was sublime!! Had three kicks from the left sideline and nailed them all! His defence was on song and he was creating a few opportunities with his passing game.

Nicholls: A nice, consistent performance. He was great in both his stints and did a lot of the tough stuff that went unnoticed. Our real unsung hero last night. Ran for 97 meters and man his defence around the middle was impressive too, 38 tackles with NONE, yes, NONE missed!

Marshall: Feel a bit bad to be harsh on Benji as he didn't have a shocker but I was a bit disappointed with him. Don't get me wrong, it's good to have him as a back up hooker when we get desperate but last night just proved he's better suited to a bench role. Came up with a few errors out of dummy half like forward passes and knock ons. Gotta give credit to his defence though, he was pretty good in that area in an unfamiliar middle position.

Tatola: Junior was one of our better forwards in my opinion, especially in his first stint but he had a pretty big impact throughout the whole game. Strong, charging carries and it was good to see he has that aggression back in his game. 99 meters off 10 runs and 37 tackles with just one missed is a pretty good night!

Koloamatangi: Probably our best forward was Keaon though, he was massive!!! Played long minutes and didn't disappoint. Constantly charged into the Newcastle defence with real aggression and intent. Even after contact, he kept those legs pumping and fought for every meter which shows in his post contact meters (61). Had 133 meters which was the most of any forward for us. Just as colossal on the defensive side too as the aggression was there also, he put on some great shots!

Host: Pretty decent game from Hosty, got through his work well with plenty of no frills hit ups. 87 meters for him which isn't bad. Was putting some big shots on in defence and also made a crucial try saver on Clifford late in the second half. However, he did miss seven tackles which isn't great.

Sele: Awesome in his first stint! Helped set the tone and was making some good impact with his carries. Had a really short second stint though which was less than eight minutes so he wasn't noticed much after that. Not sure what happened there.

Mamouzelos: Really solid debut!! So cool to see him run out in first grade for his beloved Rabbitohs and he didn't let anyone down. Came on and didn't put a foot wrong as his service was good and he was bringing the forwards onto the ball well. Had one really good run too. One thing I already know from the 30 minutes he played is that this boy loves to tackle! he's not the biggest bloke but holds his own pretty damn well in the middle.

Su'A: Has had a few really underwhelming games lately, Origin 1 included but last night was an improvement. Had some good carries, seemed to be more keen to get involved and how about his try?!! Amazing skill from a second rower to kick ahead with a nice touch like that and chase through to score. Awesome heads up play.

Knight: Knighty wasn't bad. Had a few decent carries and there was a couple of sets where we were struggling and it was him that took the run to get it going. 75 meters and no errors ain't bad.

Burgess: Now, I'm going to be harsh on Tommy here but he deserves it. Really disappointed with him last night, his performance just wasn't good enough. Was back to trotting into the line and he provided little impact. It just looked like he didn't care last night. I was especiallu pissed off with his error, that was pathetic. He got tackled in our own half and made no effort to get up quickly at all. Man, he got up slow. Yet, he still dropped it!! Poor effort and Tom has a lot of work to do.

Happy Bunny this weekend!! Awesome to get the two points and that's all that matters.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Waiting in line to replace Cookie eventually.
Does need to put on size but he will. I agree I think the club has big plans for him.

Just re Ilias one of my mates got there early to see the reserve grade match yesterday and said Ilias was pretty ordinary and has a lot to work on.