What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - Titans vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 11th June 3pm @Cbus Super Stadium

Rabbits20

Immortal
Can someone please answer me how we don’t get a six again all game? So the Titans are perfect please…..

callmack1

Staff member
Sorry for my late reaction to the game as I went out straight after but yoohooo great to chalk up another win!! It certainly wasn't super pretty and I certainly aren't happy with the over all performance but for the most part, it was a good, competent display. The result was never in doubt really and I don't think we got our of second gear. Came here with a job to do and we did that which is a great feeling!

As I said, it wasn't an overly impressive performance as we looked pretty tired and disinterested at times, had some poor discipline with piggy-back penalties and errors, and the defence was very soft when we conceded.

However, it wasn't all bad. The other areas of our game were pretty solid. When we executed in attack we looked unstoppable, particularly down that left side and despite soft defence when we conceded tries, the boys did manage to turn them away a number of times.

To the Titans credit, they turned up and played really well but we did enough to secure the 2 points in Tommy's 200th and Keaon's 50th. A win's a win.

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbits20

Immortal
Well I have watched the replay and I don’t think it was as bad as some are making out. I mean at least we only made 10 errors compared to most of the season where we have been making 15 errors a game and at least we completed at 74percent (yes we must get better) and not 60percent. The Titans were desperate yesterday they came hard and completed at 92percent they deserve some credit they were always gonna come hard and not many would’ve stopped Tino yesterday. For us at times we threw too many passes inside our own 20 coming out of trouble I didn’t like to see that it’s very risky. Our discipline at times was poor but I didn’t think all the infringements against us were all warranted. You have to also factor in from the 12th min on we lost the infringement count 7-1 which I thought wasn’t right with no six again all game thanks to Adam Gee who gave us absolutely nothing as always. So the boys had to work hard for one another we made around 400 tackles I think that’s a lot of work. Coming off a bye round it’s just always good to win. At times though we were arm grabbing too much we need to work on this. I think people who were expecting us to win by 30 plus was not reasonable we are not the 2021 Rabbitohs after all we lost and we’ve pretty much had Trell out all year I think for the squad we have we are about where we should be. So yeah I wouldn’t say it was a bad win or a great win it was a good solid win though!

Rabbits20

Immortal
Nikorima: Was all at sea under a couple of those contested high balls didn’t have much clue but some other high spiral bombs they put up he managed to take really well. He was solid on kick returns even at times managing to put another of our backs in space. I think he ran over 150 metres and managed to get low so he couldn’t be driven back. I would’ve liked to see him a bit more involved in attack though. His GK was very good.

AJ: Well what a game a couple of those 3 tries he had lots of work to do they weren’t just straightforward tries some great stuff and finishing from AJ. Also on the kick returns and shit work he was very busy loves his work was scheming for extra metres all the time. In defence as well forcing that Titan into error coming out of their end was a big play. 13 runs for 160 metres great stuff AJ was in our 3 best players yesterday.

Campbell: Well what can you say how the Blues didn’t pick him for origin 1 is lunacy. He’s having a career best year getting better and better is Stretch. He was best on ground for us yesterday. So many tough carries out of yardage some great runs when in space too a great tip on to put AJ away for a try I can tell Campbell is working on his passing game to go next level and I’m loving it. His defence was also faultless. 19 carries 210 metres with 19 tackles what a performance.

Milne: Did have 1-2 poor reads should have done better on Marzhew to stop that try. But I liked his work apart from that very busy taking tough carries had 12 runs for 131 metres had a couple of nice plays where he offloaded and put Jaxson done the sideline as well. Scored that good try too running hard and direct off Cook. Milne did clean up a lot of Ilias missed tackles as well. So yeah overall good game from Milne and I’m not sure why he’s getting roasted by some on social media as I didn’t think it was warranted yesterday.

Paulo: Well it was an up and down ride with good and bad. That effort on Marzhew to leak the first try was poor I expect a bit better from Jaxson there at this level. His bombed try where we would’ve went up 16-4 he was too casual I don’t know why he didn’t have the ball in 2 hands that was not good enough and it swung the game a bit and put pressure on us. However off Lachy last tackle bomb the take for the try was a great play so Jaxson has it in him. He did Jake good tough carries and good metres but overall it was more rocks than diamonds from Jaxson yesterday. The alternative is Sauce who is worse so I think we need to stick with Jaxson.

Cody: Also rocks and diamonds yesterday. The bad were the couple of loose errors in his game that killed our momentum. Plus he sold Campbell up the river on our own try line with that hospital pass was a stupid play. A couple of his last tackle grubbers were poor too. But the good was that great long ball try assist for AJ early in yesterday and also setting AJ up for a try in the second half. So yeah a mixed performance from Cody yesterday. He needs to work on getting those errors out of his game.

Ilias: For Lachy the bad was he missed 10 tackles yesterday some of his first up contact was very poor and it put pressure on Milne outside him a lot. Lachy tackling technique was out of whack yesterday. He also didn’t take on the line direct enough. The good though was the good bomb to give Paulo a shot a that try in the air which came off. Overall most of Lachy kicks were good and accurate and he did get us a repeat set as well. He did have a few poor kicks in there though too. A couple of times he dug into the line too to link up with Cody I loved seeing that and we need to see more of that so well done Lachy on that. Overall a solid game with a bit to work on.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Tatola: Was a very good game from Junior good leg drive and post contact metres in his hit ups. I thought his second stint was the better of the 2. He made 14 made 14 carries for 155 metres. He did have an error in there where he turned the ball over though.

Cook: Well what an effort to back up playing 68mins. I thought Cookie was one of our best for mine it was harder for him to run with a slow ruck and us not getting a six again at all but when he darted he looked dangerous. He had 7 runs for 61 metres and 5 tackle busts. I thought he brought the forwards onto the ball well and the try assist for Taane was good crafty work. He was tireless in defence too making 45 tackles and only missing too after having made 54 tackles in origin a few days prior. What a machine Cookie is.

Tom: Well it was a very good game for him in his big 200th. Had 15 carries for close to 180 metres good leg drive and post contact metres in his work. He is so crucial to our go forward and we saw that again yesterday well done Tom.

Keaon: The bad was some of his defence he was arm grabbing a bit which he’s done quite a lot this year and he’s not sliding well enough which is putting pressure on Lachy, Taane and Jaxson. The good was his carries he was back to his barnstorming best terrorising that Titans edge he had 17 runs for over 160 metres busted out of tackles and had some good offloads. So a better game from Keaon but his D still needs work.

Arrow: Was very busy Jai made 35 tackles fell off a few though and had 16 carries for around 140 metres a very tradesman like performance no doubt about that. But coming off not playing origin I know this might sound a little harsh but I expected a little more just how I felt.

Murray: What an effort to back up. No doubt that shoulder is troubling him still but he made32 tackles with none missed. Made 78 metres as well. Some of his passes though ball playing were a bit off so he wasn’t at his best. Played 44mins though and we should all be thankful he backed up and helped keep our middle tight whilst he was on.

Mamozelos: Just played 12mins had one good dart and his service was good. He did miss a couple of tackles though which was the only negative.

Nicholls: Was busy with 8 for 78 metres and 27 tackles very solid and tradesman like. Could’ve been more alert to stopping the Titans second try though.

Havili: What am impact again. I lost count of the amount of times I was saying GO SILIVA what a run and had a couple of 15-20 metre runs where they couldn’t put him down his legs just kept pumping. I think he ended up with 9 carries for around 110 metres. Another big game from him and I’m loving his consistency right now and great impact off the bench.

Sele: Similar to Havili once again had a great impact off the bench also having a couple of 15 metre runs with strong leg drive. He made no errors as well. Avg around 12 metres a run over 100 metres as well. Geez I hope he stays fit because as we know when he is he’s a tank off the bench.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Nikorima: Wasn't bad at all. Nothing super flashy but was solid. Safe at the back under the high ball and with his positional play, some good kick returns and he seemed to get more involved in our attack. A strong running game with a big 156 meters and some nice passes too, highlighted by his pass to Stretch in the lead up to Taane's try. That was really clever. So not a bad arvo for Kodi, he didn't put a foot wrong.

Johnston: World class performance as we have come to expect. Started the game absolutely on fire as he scored off his first touch. It wasn't an easy try for AJ either as when he took the pass from Cody, he had some work to do. But some sharp footwork and acceleration got him over the line. Again for his second try to open the second half, he had some work to do too and he showed his speed as well as a little in and away to crash over. The third try to bring up his second hattrick in two games and his 150th career try was a bit more simple for him but he still had himself in a position to score. Between all the try scoring plays he was great as well. No issues under the high ball, some really strong carries for 160 meters and nothing got past him in defence. It was just a super classy performance from AJ.

Graham: Speaking of classy performances, that's exactly how I'd describe Campbell's game yesterday too. He was fantastic, showing once again that he is made for Origin and not having him there is a real crime. I thought he was one of our best as he was just so solid in everything. Didn't get the accolades that perhaps AJ did but his role was just as, if not more crucial. Outstanding with his carries coming out of trouble as he always put his hand up to take a tough run. There was a few times he found himself in space too and he did well there. All up he had 210 meters and that topped the run meters for us for the game. Showed his class with his passing game too, getting a few nice ones away to AJ, particularly his quick hands for AJ's second, that was brilliant. Without the ball, Stretch was just as good as nothing got passed him. Particularly in the first half, he had some big one on one tackles to make and he did it with ease. Well done to him! Take note Freddy!!

Milne: A mixed arvo for Taane but I think it's fair to say he had more good than bad. A really bad attempt at tackling Marzhew when he scored. Yes, Jaxson's miss was worse in that play, but Taane was still in the frame to stop him but came up with a poor attempt and let him slip straight past. Again, a bit later, he had a bad miss on Fermor that lead to a line break. But whatever he lacked in his defensive game yesterday, he made up for it in his efforts with the Footy. Gave 100% in all his tough hit ups and some of them were really quality. He also looked fairly dangerous attacking the line. At one time there he put on a fantastic move on his opposite and then got a ball away to Jaxson which almost lead to a try. Taane picked up his try with a barge-over effort off Cookie but it was good stuff from Milne to read the space and charge into the hole.

Paulo: A lot like the guy inside him, Jaxson had a mixed day. I mentioned it before but that was a terrible attempt at tackle on Marzhew when he scored. That should have been easily covered by Jaxson if he went in hard and went low but he showed some real soft stuff and a lack off effort. As a result, Marzhew slipped straight past him for a try. That was really disappointing. However, his defensive error was made up for with an amazing aerial effort just minutes later. What a play to sore through the air, take that kick and score. He did it again later in the half with a tip on to Keaon which we almost scored off. Some more negatives in his game were the two tries he bombed, that simply wasn't good enough. But hey, I guess he went okay. Just want to see him improve and put in 100% effort every time.

Walker: Gotta be honest, I'm disappointed in Cody's game yesterday and he's lucky the rest of the side around him went well. He was a bit of a passenger for a lot of that game to be fair as he seemed to struggle to inject himself or come up with the right play. A couple of errors too which killed attacking raids. However, there was a few touches of brilliance, particularly for all three of AJ's tries. Cody had a hand in all of them. The first was probably the best as that was fantastic vision from Cody to throw the long, lollipop ball and AJ did the rest. Later in the game, Cody showed some lovely quick hands and combined beautifully with Lachie and Stretch to put AJ over again. And then our 5/8 was at it again later to put AJ in for a third. That was good tempo from Cody as he took the ball almost walking before delivering the pass. Great stuff. On another note, a pretty poor attempt at tackle on Tino late but I guess there was a big size mis-match there so I don't blame him too much for that one.

Ilias: I thought Lachie was really, really good yesterday. Showed some really good game management which he has copped some flack for so far this year. His kicking game wasn't anything super outstanding but it was effective as he constantly put the polish on the forwards hard work with a good kick to trap the Gold Coast down their end. It seemed like this was happening all game and Lachie's kicks are a big reason for that. A couple of beautifully placed bombs for Paulo, one of which yielded a try assist for him and another almost got a result. Pretty nice short kicking game too, forced a drop out there at one stage in the second half. In terms of his ball playing, I thought this area of his game was fantastic also. He really created some chances and seems to be starting to vary his passes in terms of their length, speed and also whether he passes early or takes it forward and digs into the line. Combined really well with Cody for two of AJ's tries which is a great sign for their combination. They look really good when they link together and we need to see it more often. I also thought Ilias was very solid in defence too, not much got past him.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Not as impactful as the last full game he played (Round 10 against the Warriors) but still did his job through the middle with some strong runs and that one-two punch with Burgess was a big reason why we got on top through the middle. 14 runs for 155 meters 22 tackles and no errors. Very good from Junior.

Cook: A mammoth effort in backing up after Origin, playing that long and playing that well. I was really impressed with him. On top of making over 50 on Wednesday night, he added another 45 to his shoulders in the space of three days. That alone is huge. Not only that, but he was great in attack too. Awesome service, just look at the pass to Lachie for AJ's second, made some great darts out of dummy half which threatened, and then put Taane over later on with some scheming work. That was brilliant play, just completely sucked in the Titans defence and created the hole. Well done Cookie, you deserve a bit of a rest over the next few days.

Burgess: 200 games for Souths was a huge milestone and Tommy made sure to mark the occasion with a huge individual performance. he was really strong through the middle and the Titans found him quite hard to handle. That is evidenced by his 177 meters, 86 of them coming post contact which is big. I thought he was one of our best forwards actually.

Koloamatangi: I've been a bit tough on Keaon recently but he bounced back in this game that's for sure. he was back to looking like he actually cared and the effort areas in his game picked up. He went looking for work and seemed to run with more purpose and aggression like he used to. This yielded a big 165 meters for him which is the most he's run for a number of weeks. Not only were his hit ups great but he looked dangerous in attack, constantly threatening to offload and he managed to get a few nice ones away which created a few chances of half chances. I especially want to give Keaon a wrap for that big play with about 8 minutes to go in the first half. We were under the pump and Sexton went to kick, Keaon blocked it with his foot, regathered, and then slipped a beautiful offload away to Jaxson for a line break which really saved our asses. So I think over all special K went well. However, there was still one really lazy effort there. In fact, it wasn't even an effort. he let Tino stroll straight through for his first try, shied away from the contact and didn't even attempt a tackle which is simply not on.

Arrow: Didn't put a foot wrong in a tradesman like performance. His game seemed a bit quiet to me at first but upon reflection, he was actually really goo, probably just overshadowed by some forwards who were even better. Jai did everything that was asked of him. Took his carries for 139 meters, executed his role as a decoy and tackled everything that came his way. Well done Jai.

Murray: A huge effort from the skipper as well to back up after Origin and play the minutes that he did. Probably wasn't as effective as usual to be fair but that's not to say he still wasn't pretty good. Some good carries in there, good ball playing and plenty of defensive work as always.

Mamouzelos: Didn't play a lot of minutes but he went well when he did come on. Good service, one nice run and nothing fazed him defensively.

Nicholls: Wasn't bad at all. Did his job through the middle and we didn't lose anything while he was on. Not a great attempt to stop Tino when he scored but at least he tried.

Havili: It's a big call but I think he's quickly turning into the most underrated signings of the year. Once again he was huge off the bench! Came on and made a real impact with some amazing runs. I was actually blown away by some of the carries he had. A real ball of energy and aggression. That's two games in a row he's been up there with our best.

Sele: Loved his impact too, especially in tandem with Liva. Hame carted it forward super strongly and refused to go down easily all game. 126 maters from 10 runs for him which is very good.

I feel a lot better about our performance after watching the replay. At fulltime I was a little bit annoyed at how we played but upon reflection, it actually wasn't so bad. I still think we did some poor stuff, could have been a lot better and I still think we made the Titans look a lot better than what they were. However, the result was never in doubt, we paced ourselves and still did enough to win.

It was an effort that we continue to build on and I think we're finally heading in the right direction.