What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 - Titans vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 3rd June 5:30pm @Cbus Super Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to dump that last game, learn what we can from it and move onto the next. Onwards and upwards as we march forward into Round 14. This Round, we're back on the road as we take on the Titans up there on the Gold Coast this Saturday night in a huge clash in the context of our Season. Because of what's happened the last two weeks, this game is an absolute must win. If we want to finish top two, then this is a game we simply must be winning, or those hopes will start to slide. We've hit a slight flat spot in our Season, a mini slump, there's no doubt about that so this week, this game is all about ensuring that's all it is, just a flat spot and a mini slump. We simply cannot afford to drop this one.

It's a tough little road trip heading up to the Goldy for this one but I'm sure it's one the boys will be looking forward to. In years gone by, you'd look at a game against the Titans and think 'easy win,' however, I no longer believe that is the case. While at times they still remain a bit inconsistent and patchy, the Titans are a much, much better side this year than they have been in years gone by. Certainly, a much more dangerous side so we genuinely can't go into this one underestimating them. Genuinely, I believe that if they played to their potential, they are capable of beating anyone on their day and right now, they're in with a massive chance of a top eight spot so motivation will be high for them. They play a pretty exciting, free flowing brand of Footy build on speed, mobility and offloads. This is a style which has troubled us this year, so we'll need to be better against that. Significantly, over the past few Seasons, they've built a pretty good roster up there on the Gold Coast. There's genuine speed and excitement machines all over the park. A pretty potent backline with the likes of Campbell, Kelly, Sami and the new young fulla Khan-Pereira. They'll be hard to handle. Tanah Boyd is in good form, and he has the experienced Foran beside him running the side. They then have a pretty formidable forward pack lead by the likes of Fifita, Fotuaika and Fa'asuamaleaui. Obviously, we're not 100% sure if Tino and Fifita will back up from Origin and play, but we must prepare like they are. What's more, they'll be well rested and raring to go as they're coming off the bye. So, the Gold Coast can be seen as a formidable side on their day now in my eyes, I don't want to see us go into this week thinking it'll be an easy win.

For us, the stakes are pretty high this week. The boys have really dropped their standards the past two weeks and we simply cannot afford for that to be the case three weeks in a row. As I said earlier, this game is a must win. We're still in a decent position to finish top two, but these are the games you simply cannot drop if you want that to happen. I'm sure all the boys will know that, they'll be well aware, and JD will be driving that all week. I hope they're all also hurting because of the last two weeks and because of that, we have no excuse not to come out firing in this one. Pick the standards back up and get us back on track. The focus of this week is pretty simple. Defence, defence, defence. We've gone from being a top two defensive side, to conceding 30 points two weeks in a row which is not acceptable. defend like that again, and the Gold Coast will do a number on us. We need to get back to our defensive standards that have been working so well for us. We know we have the attack, we proved that over the weekend, it's just the D that needs fixing. I'm not sure what has happened the past two weeks because it was so good prior to that, but we just need to get back to it. I'll back the lads in to do that. Significantly, we should get some troops back for this one which will really help. We're near certain to get Stretch back by the sounds of it which is a massive in on his own. However, we may also be a chance of Tom returning and I have a sneaky feeling we may just see Havili come back too in a timely boost. Obviously, we've got our three Origin boys coming off that game and have no idea whether they'll play or not. Guess it all depends on how they pull up but hopefully they'll be good to go as we kind of need them, even if it is for reduced minutes.

So, it's a very important week this one that's for sure. Get back to doing what we know we can lads! Looking forward to it!

Glory, Glory.

Rabbits20

Immortal
BIG ORIGIN NEWS; Latrell Mitchell out of Origin. Calf injury. Stephen Crichton in @9NewsSyd @NRLonNine

Terrible for Souths puts a big dent in our top 4 chances if he’s out a while

Steenson123

Juniors
Demetriou needs to re-set everything before this gets out of hand. Re-fresh and get some stick in that forward pack!!
I do not know what ails Tom B, Moale and Havili [ankle surgery?] BUT the squad badly needs them ON THE PARK. Mitchell II and Suluka-Fifita need to be in there too. Opponents are attacking our relatively small pack and charging through the gut at us. In fact they are stomping on us!! Balmain almost succeeded in doing this and the next two followed that up. They watched the Balmain pack take us on. Chee-Kam and Cartwright need to fall to reserve grade as does Liam K. Knight is a pure enigma. He is either excellent or dreadful, all extremes.
Tatola recently lost his padre so his mind has been elsewhere. He looks slow and distracted. He probably needs a break.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted line up for Round 14 against the Titans,

1. L.Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Tass
4. Graham
5. Milne
6. Walker
7. Ilias
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Sele
11. Koloamatangi
12. Host
13. Murray (C)

14. Chee Kam/Duncan
15. Arrow
16. S.Mitchell
17. Burgess

Keep in mind that this is what a think will get named tomorrow, the actual side that goes out there on Saturday could be different.

But basically, I think everyone gets named.

Firstly, in the backs. They'll name Trell I think. His calf injury is reportedly extremely minor and while it won't quite be right for Wednesday, it could be sweet for Saturday. So, I think they name him and give him every opportunity to play. In saying that, if there's even the slightest bit of doubt, DO NOT play him. If that happens, Taaffe comes in. But it's just a wait and see and I really hope he's good to go because that would be big. I'm confident Stretch will return in a HUGE boost, while the rest of the backline and halves will remain the same.

I don't see many changes in the pack. Yea, they've been poor the last couple of weeks, but we don't need to panic, they just need to lift. Both Cam and Jai will get named and we'll just see how they feel. This is generally what happens. I'd be inclined to rest Cam but in saying that, I think we need at least one of Jai or Cam to play.

The bench is self-explanatory. Shaq deserves to keep his spot. I have a feeling they'll name Tom and just see how he goes this week too. Other guys like Duncan, Cartwright, DSF, and maybe even Havili coming in all depends of Murray, Arrow and Burgess.

Pretty excited for this team list Tuesday!!

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs NRL squad for Round 14 against Titans: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/rabbitohs-nrl-squad-for-round-14-against-titans

Team list Tuesday baby!! And a very interesting one at that!

Obviously, the big news is no Trell. To be honest, I thought he was gonna get named but not to be, probably best to give him a rest if he has a niggle. We simply cannot afford to risk him. Great to see Stretch named to return, that's a big in and Richie named on the wing outside him is pretty interesting. Didn't expect that but Taane has been dropped. Carty has too actually so JD is obviously responding to what happened on Saturday which I don't mind.

Our pack remains mostly the same with Cam and Jai named to back up. Really hope they do to be honest. We definitely need at least one of them to but obviously, it all depends how they go tomorrow night, and we can assess it properly from there. The other significant news is Knighty dropped (rightly so), and still no Tom. I'm starting to get a bit concerned about him, this will be the fourth game he's missed. Also, no sign of Havili who I was hoping would be back this Round.

So, a few omissions I'm sure we were all hoping to have in, but it's still a pretty strong side, especially if Jai and Cam play. I'm confident the boys can do this on Saturday, even without Trell and Tom.

Saturday arvo can't come quick enough!

callmack1

Staff member
Far out, Kennar has been copping it big time on other forums since the team came out. I admit, I'm, not a huge fan of him and I don't think it's overly ideal to have him in the team. personally, I would have kept Taane there and given him a chance to redeem himself as he's been so good this year.

But you know what? I'm gonna go against the grain here. If JD is willing to back Richie, then that's good enough for me and I'll do the same. He is capable of doing a job. Played that game against the Knights last year and did great! Played again in the Prelim and although he wasn't perfect, I didn't think he was bad. From memory, he wasn't a bit contributing factor to the loss. On top of all this, he comes in with a point to prove so I'm going to back him in for a good game. Let's hope so anyway. He'll have Stretch alongside him which will help massively. I'm excited to see him play on Saturday.

What this also does, is put the team on notice. Some guys are perhaps buying into our success this year a bit to much and have got a bit comfortable the past few weeks. By JD dropping Taane and Jed, it shows that despite how well you're going, your position is not safe. One poor game and you could be gone. I think that is only a good thing in terms of setting the standards.

callmack1

Staff member
On another note, Foran is out for them which is big.

He's been in really good form this year and is their experienced head that provides so much for them. It also means that Campbell is playing out of position at 5/8 and in the frontline defence. While he is an absolute freak of a plyer that can play anywhere, I'd be targeting him.

Foran's absence also means they have a rookie at fullback. I know nothing about him, could be a great player, but that's another guy we should be going at. Over to you Lachy and Cody, test him out with your kicking game.

Rabbits20

Immortal
About the best we could name. Glad JD is sending a notice that nobody is safe and that we have high standards and we haven’t met those the last two weeks have not been South Sydney football.

callmack1

Staff member
Right, with Origin done and out of the way for the week, it's time to really start looking forward to what actually matters this week.

Do we think Cam and Jai will back up? Cam played 50 minutes, Jai played 39. I think you can kind of say the same for both that they didn't have a massive, really intense game. They played well but didn't have a huge, huge impact and work rate if that makes sense.

I think both back up and play. I hope so anyway, we need them!!

callmack1

Staff member
Behind the jersey with Tallis Duncan: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/behind-the-jersey-with-tallis-duncan

Saw a few of these training pics and more on Instagram today and got a bit surprised when I saw a pic of Shaq wearing a red training jersey. There was also one where he was clearly doing a defensive drill with the starting 13. So it ran through my mind that maybe he was going to start? But then I realised that he'd be there covering Cam and/or Jai haha.

So I think the team will stay as named.

callmack1

Staff member
Bit of news out of the captain's run, just watched the Bunnies TV stream. Cam was not training with the boys. He was there but wasn't wearing the starting 17 jersey, was wearing the normal green shirt. Also had strapping on his knee so he could be getting rested.

Jai was there, in the starting 17 jersey but did not do the regular warm up with the boys. He was on the side of the field jogging up and down.

In saying all that, there was a ball work warm up drill they did that was just the top 17, NSW cup guys were down the other end including Tallis and Knighty. You'd think if Jai and Cam were out, those two would be doing that ball work drill with the rest of the starting guys? I don't know if I'm reading too much into it.

So a bit up in the air but my gut feeling is that Jai plays, Cam doesn't.

callmack1

Staff member
Start fast, finish faster the focus for JD: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/start-fast-finish-faster-the-focus-for-jd

Great stuff from JD once again. Loved hearing him talking about our defence and getting back to what works for us tomorrow. I also loved hearing that there was a bit of tough love from him towards the boys earlier in the week, they probably need a bit of a rev up.

He also confirmed that Cam and Jai were just resting today and will play so that's great news!!

Latest posts