What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 v Chi wow waaz

Dragon David

First Grade
But it's always the dragons who end up not being competitive, by getting flogged by the dogs again who have only won two games one being us this year..
Against a side on the bottom we were never in it
That's a piss poor effort.
And we only scored one try from a kick.
What the F is Elliott doing with our attack and what the F is Gentle doing with our defence and what the F is Griffin doing with our motivation. Our players just didn't Bundy on today and all effort remained in the sheds.

We are the laughing stock I am sure at the moment - Bulldogs defeat the Dragons (Hahahahah).

Gareth67

First Grade
When will all this heartache end ? We follow the game for enjoyment, a couple of hours each weekend and with a win that enjoyment stretches out to the entire weekend and beyond . However when our chosen team - which we have followed for an eternity- puts in an effort such as today’s , they all but destroy our spirit .

To be able to once again be proud of our Dragons a complete clean out is necessary , starting firstly with the board . Anyone there whom is not held accountable for their decisions should never have been placed there in the first instance .

We require someone with both financial clout and positive administration skills who can take the Joint Venture into this the 21st century ( which most unfortunately the current board does not realize began 21 years ago ) .

The coach can only work with what he has , salary cap restraints have limit his ability to secure the type of quality players that he needs . His first half year with a club that has struggled for 10 seasons and he finds he is walking through the mud up to his armpits .

Our current team , there would be more players than not whom are hot one week and cold the next , not good enough to get to the semis , let alone win a premiership.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Sorry mate the reason was an emerging junior base & a absolute shitload of. Cash. From the leagues club,. Facer was good but he had enough cash to buy 2 x five eights & a pommy second rower so nobody else could. His biggest f**kup was getting Langlands but ignoring Fulton ( hence later buying Branson & Hawthorne for a motza )
Let me get this right, are you saying Langlands signing was a f..up?.
One of the best fullbacks in the history of the Dragons

thebigredv

First Grade
Rather than be angered by the players for letting us down, let's instead look upon them with admiration that they can pick and choose on which occasions they wish to complete their work and still take home the massive pay check that every one of them does. Wow, I wish I could do that!! And they've been doing it for years now. I am super envious.

All criticisms aside, I am blown away that teams like us, GC, Warriors, Tigers can be so very up and down in a professional sport. We were beaten before we ran out. That was our mindset and it couldn't have been more different from that of the very hopeful fans. From a psychological standpoint this is an incredible phenomenon. We had 100 reasons to play well today and zero excuses, but alas, the same crap.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There was something very amiss with the Dragons today, even reserve grade played rubbish.
It appears to me that more than just Dufty and Norman have had "the conversation" with Hook, and maybe a few others who know "the conversation" is coming.

Energy and 'vibe' are important elements in the psyche of players. That was missing in most of them today, both in 1st and reserve grade. Once you drop your bundle, it's a struggle to get it back. Those that can, realise that opportunity will rise if they put in and play well. It may be next week or a few weeks, who knows, it's up to each individual.

blacksafake

First Grade
We've got to stop this bullshit belief that just because sides are below us, we should win! SInce when? Canterbury turned up like they do most weeks, even when we beat them last time it was an even money bet at half time. We are and have been battling to avoid the spoon, and with this squad we have never been a chance for a top eight IMO. They play ok sometimes and bog average the next and unfortunately i just can't see that changing. Just hope we can develop at least half a dozen players by the season end and then start to see some culture change. We'll win again, but let's just temper the enthusiasm and the expectations until consistency becomes the standard.
Very sensible post, leaving emotions out of it.

We’re not a good enough side with several match winners to expect a win, even against sides below us. The dogs completed at almost 100% & got every bounce of the ball, along with plenty of six agains.
In today’s game when this happens to you it’s near impossible to wrestle back momentum, especially a side like us.

getsmarty

Immortal
But it's always the dragons who end up not being competitive, by getting flogged by the dogs again who have only won two games one being us this year..
Against a side on the bottom we were never in it
That's a piss poor effort.
And we only scored one try from a kick.

So does it count ? LOL

Gourley's Socks

Juniors
If that's a sneak peak of the defence-oriented mindset Hook is trying to instill in the club then there's probably a dozen players who should be getting a tap on the shoulder.

But let me espouse an alternate theory: the six-agains and high-shot lottery have now meant that "tackling your way to victory" is a thing of the past. Successful teams need the ability to attack from their own half. The pressure that was once built through playing conservatively for field position is now instead delivered by the ref courtesy of arbitrary ruck infringements and errant face slaps. But this can only be used to your advantage with ball in hand.

I was pleased when Hook was appointed as I believed that the club needed an "old head". However, I'm beginning to wonder whether he's just an "old-fashioned head" and is struggling to adapt to this new game.

It would be unfair to write him off this soon given the muscle-memory of the Macgregor years but we need to start seeing glimpses of a future. Otherwise like yesterday, we're going to keep turning up on game day in a pair of bell-bottoms and clutching a bottle of Spumante.

matPORTS

Juniors
Have woken up with a much clearer mind than when I was on the beers around about 18 hours ago:

First of all to our 1, 6, 7 and 9...

If, as has been massively portrayed in the media/social media during the past week, Dufty is our best (or rather only) attacking weapon then we are in real trouble. The Norman/Hunt halves combination that Mary wanted two years ago, and that Hook wanted to try and spark hasn't worked. McCullough is a tough work horse but he can't do it all on his own.

Overall, our spine needs a massive overhaul which I guess by sending Dufty & Norman packing is already underway. I saw a comment from someone saying that Shaun Johnson on a 1-2 year deal might be something we should consider in an attempt to spark our attack, and it would also allow some further breathing room to bring Sullivan through to the top grade (given he's been injured for a good chunk of this year). I tend to agree with this approach. We could do worse.

Our forwards are just simply soft as butter, and the opposition coaches will be licking their lips. The Tigers & now Bulldogs have shown how to get under our skin. Molo won't be the total answer to our problems. We need at least one more middle & edge forward next year. But who is on the market? Hopefully JDB comes back to full match fitness sooner rather than later, but I'd say he's going to need another full pre-season before he gets anywhere near his best again.

Don't know what else to say? I'm not too concerned about Hooks ability to both perform the necessary roster overhaul and also coach the team each week, as even still he is only on a two year deal. This time period all the way through the next pre-season and into Round 1 2022 is make or break for his career one would think.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Bullseye....hence the cleanout has begun.

Young is running the show, having already (thankfully) overruled Hook on Norman

Imagine Bennett copping that?

Nah Hook is stopgap & interim & not calling the shots.

The players see this & he has lost the Shed IMO - especially after his lame duck pressers re Duff

Duff’s performance yesterday was a dispirited upyours belonging to the realm of psychological dissociation after being mercilessly dissected & crucified.

Stick the kid at 5/8 this week (where he should’ve been from Rd1) & extend him 12 months to rescue team morale for this year

I was quite ashamed to see the doubling down on Duff - given his obvious treatment & circumstances.

Weaker individuals would’ve been tipped over the edge by now

Had to laugh when others were trying to emulate Duff’s cutouts to the wingers

The true Cleanout will begin with Young’s removal

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
We've got to stop this bullshit belief that just because sides are below us, we should win! SInce when? Canterbury turned up like they do most weeks, even when we beat them last time it was an even money bet at half time. We are and have been battling to avoid the spoon, and with this squad we have never been a chance for a top eight IMO. They play ok sometimes and bog average the next and unfortunately i just can't see that changing. Just hope we can develop at least half a dozen players by the season end and then start to see some culture change. We'll win again, but let's just temper the enthusiasm and the expectations until consistency becomes the standard.
Good post Inisai, you make some valid points.....theres only 1 thing I dont do, and thats in your opening statement.....I never believe that we should win because we are playing teams below us ....tbh mate sadly these days I dont believe and am confident we can beat anybody