What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs. Canberra Raiders Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Canberra Raiders vs. Brisbane Broncos
GIO Stadium, Saturday 12 June 2021
Kick Off: 7:30pm

CANBERRA-2021.png

1. Bailey Simonsson 2. Semi Valemei 3. Sebastian Kris 4. Matthew Timoko 5. Jordan Rapana 6. Jack Wighton 7. Sam Williams 8. Josh Papali'i 9. Josh Hodgson 10. Dunamis Lui 11. Corey Harawira-Naera 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Ryan Sutton

Interchange: 14. Tom Starling 15. Emre Guler 16. Iosia Soliola 17. Joseph Tapine

Reserves: 18. Elijah Anderson 19. Hudson Young 20. Matt Frawley 21. Harry Rushton​

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Herbie Farnworth 2. Xavier Coates 3. Dale Copley 4. Jesse Arthars 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Karmichael Hunt 7. Albert Kelly 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Thomas Flegler

Interchange: 14. Kobe Hetherington 15. John Asiata 16. Keenan Palasia 17. TC Robati

Reserves: 18. Tesi Niu 19. Cory Paix 20. David Mead 21. Jordan Riki​

Big Pete

Referee
A really bizarre teamlist by Kev, headlined by the return of Karmichael Hunt who will play his first game of NRL since the 2009 Prelim Final against Melbourne. Now the last time Karmichael played in the halves it was against Canberra in Round 21 2009 and it resulted in a then record club loss 56-0.

Interestingly, both Alex Glenn and Dale Copley have returned just in time as the few survivors from that clash.

I find the whole thing bizarre. Karmichael has really struggled to inject himself in QCup and just seems to be that player-coach type of player you see floating around reserve grade. His style is very reminiscent of Gamble, except Tyson seems to be better in all facets. It really seems like Walters is just rotating through his roster to see if he can get anything to stick.

It makes for an interesting story and it's something for the record books but it just seems like a sideshow.

I would have thought the sensible thing would have been to drop Isaako and Flegler, bring Copley and Riki into the team and leave it at that.

DeeJ

Bench
No sure why Gamble was dropped, but I hope Isaako stays out for good.

We have plenty of other wing options and Farnworth was a gun kicker in the Qld Cup.

Last edited:

Nerd

Bench
Having Isaako out of the team can only be a positive. I don't know about Hunt at 5/8 and I can imagine that Canberra will be running a lot of plays in his direction.

Big Pete

Referee
Albert Kelly suffered a hamstring injury at training and will miss the clash.

The Broncos are currently trying to get an exemption to play Tyson Gamble. If he doesn't play, then the halves pairing will be Hunt/Paix.

Both Coates and Haas will back-up from Origin I.

Nerd

Bench
Albert Kelly suffered a hamstring injury at training and will miss the clash.

The Broncos are currently trying to get an exemption to play Tyson Gamble. If he doesn't play, then the halves pairing will be Hunt/Paix.

Both Coates and Haas will back-up from Origin I.
Just what we need. Two new halves that have barely trained together. Should make for another debacle.

Just what we need. Two new halves that have barely trained together. Should make for another debacle.
Sure, but the lime splices backslook like something the cat dragged in.

Perhaps the k.h can relive the glory days when Queensland could lose by less than 40?

Nerd

Bench
Not really a shock considering we are on our I think 7th halves pairing for the year. Losing Kelly a day out means our last tackle options went back to being non existent. Rinse and repeat on unforced handling errors gifting field position to the Raiders who of course made us pay.

I was happy with how Selwyn Cobbo went and hope that Xavier Coates hamstring injury lingers for about ten more weeks. Thought Hunt had a few good touches and didn't look out of place so if Kelly is still out possibly leave him there for another week?

Flegler went ok for a change and no dropped ball or stupid penalties. That call to send off Hetherington was just plain wrong. The attacking player fell straight into him and I don't see how he could have got out of the way. Should have been ten minutes in the bin as it was a straight out accident.

blaza88z

Coach
The players were good, the send off on Hethrington was the worst decision I think I have ever seen.

How they can conclude he went out there to plant one into the head of CHN after the bloke carrying the ball had his legs taken out from under him, it's nearly impossible to even come up with a scenario where it is a send off and anyone who believes it was a send off is either trolling or is just coming back from a 12 hour bender.

League guru

Juniors
Not really a shock considering we are on our I think 7th halves pairing for the year. Losing Kelly a day out means our last tackle options went back to being non existent. Rinse and repeat on unforced handling errors gifting field position to the Raiders who of course made us pay.

I was happy with how Selwyn Cobbo went and hope that Xavier Coates hamstring injury lingers for about ten more weeks. Thought Hunt had a few good touches and didn't look out of place so if Kelly is still out possibly leave him there for another week?

Flegler went ok for a change and no dropped ball or stupid penalties. That call to send off Hetherington was just plain wrong. The attacking player fell straight into him and I don't see how he could have got out of the way. Should have been ten minutes in the bin as it was a straight out accident.
So at least you can't blame Darius & Siebold this year. At this stage Kevie appears to be even worse.

Nerd

Bench
So at least you can't blame Darius & Siebold this year. At this stage Kevie appears to be even worse.
Let's not forget it took Siebold 2 seasons to take the Broncos from a regular top 8 team to the wooden spoon so expecting Kevvie to have this sorted in 14 rounds is a bit unrealistic. It was pretty obvious Darius Boyd played 2 seasons too long.

Bronco18

Juniors
Let's not forget it took Siebold 2 seasons to take the Broncos from a regular top 8 team to the wooden spoon so expecting Kevvie to have this sorted in 14 rounds is a bit unrealistic. It was pretty obvious Darius Boyd played 2 seasons too long.

I mean granted the coach bears a large amount of the responsibility but the fact that the recruitment and retention is left unchanged still is concerning…