What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Cowboys

mickeylane

Bench
The appointment of new coaching staff now would not only give us the best chance of improving our lot for next season, it would also head off Craig Young's moves to appoint his son Dean.
I reckon thats a fait accompli in 2024 w someone like hornby assisting maybe even brownie in a pathways role. It just feels its going to go this way especially w young snr at the helm.
The appointment of new coaching staff now would not only give us the best chance of improving our lot for next season, it would also head off Craig Young's moves to appoint his son Dean.

Smacka

Juniors
We have known for too many seasons now that the Dragons require new people at the helm , with the attitude of ‘ it is a new year and we are playing to win the comp , not to become also-rans ‘

As Mickeylane has said new management, coach and quality players . However the chances of that occurring is
almost nil , as there is nothing to draw decent players to the club without a top line coach and with our old brigade ‘ powers to be ‘ firmly entrenched in their jobs and no way of removing the mongrels .

Sure I am disappointed at our continuing run of losses , but what truly irks me is that I cannot see anyway out of this mess whilst the joint venture’s management remain in place .

I am afraid that the once mighty Dragons will continue to plod along with the occasional win here and there and that will satisfy the hierarchy however we the fans will continue to suffer .
I am over "the Joint Venture". The Dragons rescued the Steelers financially with a promise of a "Junior Nursery". All that's happened is the NRL have raped us , our playing stocks have been spread throughout the League (look at the decision this NRLW season to take our 2 best Players) ; we've been reduced to continual "also rans". THIS JOINT VENTURE POLITICS IS KILLING US.
St George has a small Junior base but I would prefer they stood on their own once more. I'm tired of seeing "Illawarra" performances masqueraded in the red & white jersey. The Illawarra nursery can continue to provide all Clubs with Players , the Dragons can get on with business just like Melbourne (look at their tiny Junior base , they draw their Players from everywhere else).
I'd be happier to see the Saints playing in the NSWRL competition than continuing on in the corrupt , contrived NRL.

BBTB

Juniors
I am over "the Joint Venture". The Dragons rescued the Steelers financially with a promise of a "Junior Nursery". All that's happened is the NRL have raped us , our playing stocks have been spread throughout the League (look at the decision this NRLW season to take our 2 best Players) ; we've been reduced to continual "also rans". THIS JOINT VENTURE POLITICS IS KILLING US.
St George has a small Junior base but I would prefer they stood on their own once more. I'm tired of seeing "Illawarra" performances masqueraded in the red & white jersey. The Illawarra nursery can continue to provide all Clubs with Players , the Dragons can get on with business just like Melbourne (look at their tiny Junior base , they draw their Players from everywhere else).
I'd be happier to see the Saints playing in the NSWRL competition than continuing on in the corrupt , contrived NRL.
Agree, The NRL are ruining our game , you can't be getting paid by NEWS LIMITED to orchestrate games(competitions).For TV ratings. This horrific refereeing is KILLING our game for every FAN that follows Rugby league. All attendances are down, including STATE OF ORIGIN down 30% on last game on tv. Ratings.

The NRL RUINING our game.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Agree, The NRL are ruining our game , you can't be getting paid by NEWS LIMITED to orchestrate games(competitions).For TV ratings. This horrific refereeing is KILLING our game for every FAN that follows Rugby league. All attendances are down, including STATE OF ORIGIN down 30% on last game on tv. Ratings.

So true. Unless you follow one of the darling teams of the commentors. The games are getting so boring I'm flat out watching the game these days.

Old Timer

Coach

This!!!!!
Anyone who thinks that we won the Super League war is kidding themselves.

This was always the end game and the NRL & ARL for that matter copped it right up the arse and then expect us to do so as well.

The game is a farce and the outcomes are being manipulated by poor quality refs operating under instructions and even worse bunker officials.

Kolum Kid

Juniors
This!!!!!

This was always the end game and the NRL & ARL for that matter copped it right up the arse and then expect us to do so as well.

The game is a farce and the outcomes are being manipulated by poor quality refs operating under instructions and even worse bunker officials.
Aided and abetted by a bunch of overpaid opinionated explayers who no doubt are given their riding instructions by the media bosses

Smacka

Juniors
This!!!!!

Especially sad for the Saints. In 1997 at a special meeting of the Football Club (Ordinary Voting Members) we voted to join SuperLeague : every second home match to be played at Adelaide Oval , sponsored by Penfolds , Rod Reddy coach etc. etc. etc. Those that were there in the Leagues' Auditorium will remember sitting through speeches from SuperLeague Proponents v ARL Loyalists (Gus Gould , Senator Graham Richardson & so on. Phil Wilkins - ABC - was the Host). WE , THE FOOTBALL CLUB , VOTED IN THE MAJORITY TO GO TO SUPERLEAGUE but this was later changed by our Leagues Club Officialdom after badgering from Quayle , Arthurson & the like from the ARL. The rest is now history.
Cronulla did extremely well from SuperLeague , Melbourne were brought into the "amalgamated" competition & there have been new Clubs with money (& the right sponsorship) come along. We've copped it like Liberace ever since & there is no light at the end of the tunnel.

George Sancti

Juniors
Especially sad for the Saints. In 1997 at a special meeting of the Football Club (Ordinary Voting Members) we voted to join SuperLeague : every second home match to be played at Adelaide Oval , sponsored by Penfolds , Rod Reddy coach etc. etc. etc. Those that were there in the Leagues' Auditorium will remember sitting through speeches from SuperLeague Proponents v ARL Loyalists (Gus Gould , Senator Graham Richardson & so on. Phil Wilkins - ABC - was the Host). WE , THE FOOTBALL CLUB , VOTED IN THE MAJORITY TO GO TO SUPERLEAGUE but this was later changed by our Leagues Club Officialdom after badgering from Quayle , Arthurson & the like from the ARL. The rest is now history.
Cronulla did extremely well from SuperLeague , Melbourne were brought into the "amalgamated" competition & there have been new Clubs with money (& the right sponsorship) come along. We've copped it like Liberace ever since & there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
Thanks Smacka for the look back at what transpired. I was not aware of the vote taken by members back in 1997. Personally I am glad that we did not go to SuperLeague, but I appreciate the historical account that you have provided above.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
So true. Unless you follow one of the darling teams of the commentors. The games are getting so boring I'm flat out watching the game these days.
What used to separate our game from Rugby was what Rugby cutely called "running Rugby" as practised by Randwick aka the galloping greens and almost no one else in Rugby but universally in the NRL. The ball was kept in hand and the passing skills of backs and the guile of forwards (eg Malcolm Reilly) created the overwhelming majority of tries. NRL has evolved badly with continual grubbers and bombs imo, turning the game into a mish mash of Rugby and AFL.

I was flat out finishing the Dragons game. Their kicking didn't irritate me so much on this occasion because the appalling passing and cohesion and missed tackles got to me before everything else. The NRL would have to pay me to attend a Dragons game based on that performance.

BBTB

Juniors
Thanks for that post, very enlightening.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Intersting enough the Walker Bros have challenged any NRL team to hire them on a 1 year contract w the guarantee of getting any team theyre appointed into the top 8 in the first year...you almost think theyre worth a shot in 2023 and see off Hook...
How can you guarantee top 8? Injuries, suspensions, and Dragons could stop that.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Wasn't there a board meeting to decide to go or stay at the same time Parramatta were doing the sam?. Apparently the 2 boards (Saints & Parra) were talking to each other during the meeting. They both decided to stay.

Smacka

Juniors
Wasn't there a board meeting to decide to go or stay at the same time Parramatta were doing the sam?. Apparently the 2 boards (Saints & Parra) were talking to each other during the meeting. They both decided to stay.
Yep - it was a weird scene - just months before the season kick-off , they could not put a draw together because they didn't know what Teams they would have : bizarre. There were backroom deals , Players getting signed up on "loyalty" contracts.
My point really was the Teams that did go to SuperLeague have been looked after ever since - Cronulla were broke twice & got rescued whereas we inherited the basket case of Illawarra. Manly merged with Norths - that venture broke down - Balmain got shafted & ended up with Wests , Souths eventually were booted in 1999 for not meeting "criteria" , Newcastle were rescued twice by the League. Our financial status slumped & we borrowed from the NRL , Souths got several huge sponsors (Private Owners) & are now a force.
Us - meh.