What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Cowboys

Dragon David

First Grade
I can see the 2024 Coaching regime
Dean Young Head Coach
Hornby Ass Coach
Me too. Brown has to come into it as well. Even though a lot have said that ex Dragons players have not really been successful head coaches, the ones that I have mentioned will do a darned sight better than the ones we have at the present.

Dragon David

First Grade
Meanwhile casual fans are not bothered with the team. Crowd numbers are down, Dragons Army has shrunk. Club is seen as old fashioned and unable to attract quality players and coaching staff. Unless massive change and direction occurs we will be forever ‘just about there’ and ‘there’s always next year’ or the ever present ‘rebuilding year’ on loop.
And so be it, amen.

Mojo

Bench
I think we were all hoping for either a win or a close defeat last night and obviously are all bitterly disappointed.

Clearly we don't have the ability to challenge top 8 sides and based on last night's showing we're not even looking like getting close.

It's a bitter pill to swallow for all of us as supporters.

Now is certainly the time for Hook to wield the axe and drop some of these plodders to send a message. On the chopping block this week should be:

Lomax - Attitude seems to be his problem and he could do with a wake up call running around in KOE cup for a couple of weeks at least.

Lawrie - Soft as butter up the middle and as inconsistent as they come. He needs to learn the best front rowers perform every week. Give Jaiyden Hunt a go, he seems like a good agressive front rower and has more upside than Lawrie.

Bird - Made a big fiasco about his contract and is now showing why no other clubs were that keen on him anyway.

Start with these three to send a message to the rest, they can come back when their attitudes improve which I reckon would take 2-3 weeks. If they don't like it, shop them around to some other clubs.

Time to give Sullivan some more game time and let him play half back even if for one half of the game while Hunt goes to hooker to relieve Mbye or McCullough.

Surely Hook will come to realise that if this playing group don't shape up, he will be shipped out, so time to get serious with these inept performances.
Exactly!

kit66

Bench
After the dust has settled and stats etc have been updated, there is a very very clear picture emerging, and that is opposition teams have worked out where our defensive deficiencies lie.

In last nights game we missed 42 tackles (yes, Cowboys actually missed 41), however nearly half came from 3 players ie: Bird missed 6, Amone missed 8 and Hunt missed 5. That's 19 from 3 players.

Rd 11 v warriors same 3 missed 13 or 33% of all missed tackles
Rd 10 v titans same 3 missed 15 or 31% of all missed tackles
Rd 9 v storm same 3 missed 22 or 44% of all missed tackles
Rd 8 v tigers bird didn't play but the other 2 missed 14 or 25% of all missed tackles

Need I go on!

Another point is the total missed tackle count in each game is getting beyond ignorance by our coaching staff.
42 v Cowboys
56 v tigers (how did we win that game!)
50 v storm (yes, we got hammered)
49 v titans (and lost in GP)

Whoever is the defensive coach/s are either oblivious or are just seeing things through rose-coloured glasses.

Young Amone I love as a player, but he is being targeted relentlessly both in attack and defense, basically nullifying his game. Bird has re-signed but surely a move onto the bench is a better solution to his defensive woes. And Hunt, although he is probably our 'best' player currently, his defense has always had a question mark over it, yet some want him at our prime defensive position. I think the best solution for Hunt is for him to move into the hooker position on some plays during the game, as yes, attacking wise he would add some variation. we don't see that event happening atm.

If we cannot reduce our total tackle count, at least by 1/3, but realistically by half, we will always be where we are, that is trying hard but giving up so many points, it's almost impossible to come back from.

I will look at the error count in another post, but that too is a bane on our play.

You can throw Lawrie in there as well - 13 games 41 missed just 2 behind Amone - 13 games 43 missed. You expect halves to miss tackles, especially rookies but not props and certainly not 2nd rowers. 2nd rowers should actually be working overtime to protect and take pressure off their halves, that's their bloody job.
I've been saying it for weeks, Bird isn't a 2nd rower and is being targeted as a weak link.

Another stat that effects our defence is our terrible lack of completions early in games, poor ball control and ill discipline is robbing us of possession and tiring out our forwards in the opening 20 minutes nearly every week. I believe it's because our guys just aren't fit enough or too old.

blacksafake

First Grade
Hilariously funny that he was Hooks "impact" player to come on from the bench. I was working but after seeing the replay today, what is the deal with that ranga ref? He couldn't wait to call out held as quick as possible and give them pens and 6 agains. The one where Hiku went over touch was pathetic, momentum never stopped at all. I can't stand the ref bias these days that just adds to how crap Saints are.
He looks like he’s got no eyes 👀 & refs accordingly does Ranga.

mickeylane

Bench
Meanwhile casual fans are not bothered with the team. Crowd numbers are down, Dragons Army has shrunk. Club is seen as old fashioned and unable to attract quality players and coaching staff. Unless massive change and direction occurs we will be forever ‘just about there’ and ‘there’s always next year’ or the ever present ‘rebuilding year’ on loop.
We need a new energetic Mgt team led by a new hands on owner..
A board that understands strategy
A Killer CEO who knows how to manage
A Very Resourceful Recruitment Mgr
A New Age Coach w new age ideas
A Smart Defensive Coach
An innovative Attacking Coach

the above sounds like a clean out from top to bottom..

BBTB

Juniors
A Smart Defensive Coach

Yes agree 100%, but how?

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
A Smart Defensive Coach

Agree. What has happened to Ryan Webb? I held high hopes that he would lead the Dragons to the Promised Land, but he seems to have become the Invisible Man! Where are you Ryan? Show the leadership qualities I believe you have!

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Agree. What has happened to Ryan Webb? I held high hopes that he would lead the Dragons to the Promised Land, but he seems to have become the Invisible Man! Where are you Ryan? Show the leadership qualities I believe you have!

Good point. Used to hear from him regularly, now hardly at all. Different industry but I remember when Ansett Airlines fell over. The CEO in an interview said he went to the Board 6 times with 6 different plans to save the company, but was vetoed each time. I hope it's not the same with Webby.

Dragon David

First Grade
Intersting enough the Walker Bros have challenged any NRL team to hire them on a 1 year contract w the guarantee of getting any team theyre appointed into the top 8 in the first year...you almost think theyre worth a shot in 2023 and see off Hook...
They can say anything Mickey because they know that no club will hire them. I'd like to see if they could do it but what club in their right mind would accept the challenge.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
Why is Reuben copping it.
Did he lose us the game?
Did he give away stupid penalties or throw shit passes.
He didn't,he wasn't our worst by a long way.
When lomax kicked for himself he was backing up but slomax took the wrong option.
we are just having a bit of fun, i cant see anyone saying he played shait or anything like that

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
They can say anything Mickey because they know that no club will hire them. I'd like to see if they could do it but what club in their right mind would accept the challenge.
I think the Warriors should think seriously about accepting the Walker brothers challenge. The Warriors have talent and usually attack with the best of them. Ideally suited to the Walker brother's philosophy

Gareth67

First Grade
We have known for too many seasons now that the Dragons require new people at the helm , with the attitude of ‘ it is a new year and we are playing to win the comp , not to become also-rans ‘

As Mickeylane has said new management, coach and quality players . However the chances of that occurring is
almost nil , as there is nothing to draw decent players to the club without a top line coach and with our old brigade ‘ powers to be ‘ firmly entrenched in their jobs and no way of removing the mongrels .

Sure I am disappointed at our continuing run of losses , but what truly irks me is that I cannot see anyway out of this mess whilst the joint venture’s management remain in place .

I am afraid that the once mighty Dragons will continue to plod along with the occasional win here and there and that will satisfy the hierarchy however we the fans will continue to suffer .

Gippsy

Bench
It's worse than the continued run of losses. It's how we're playing, not only in the losses but in all our games. Yes, sometimes we jag a win but even the commentators are saying we play like under 8's.

At the very least under Bennett, we knew we were going to compete in every game, and other sides would have to play out of their skin to beat us. That's what I want to see again.

possm

Coach
The appointment of new coaching staff now would not only give us the best chance of improving our lot for next season, it would also head off Craig Young's moves to appoint his son Dean.