What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14 vs Raiders Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I realise Offa didn't get through much work last week but he generally has been good for us. I'm surprised that he's dropped.

I'm satisfied enough with Blair being demoted to the bench, I think this year he generally hasn't been as effective. Mind you I'm not sure what Thaiday has done to earn his starting spot...

some11

Referee
The whole team needs a kick up the butt.

If they don't respond here the slump is real.

Snappy

Coach
Good to see some changes to let blokes know they cant take their spot for granted.

Last weeks performance was
cf55183f20bcb144fada2043f2d74e2d.jpg

Leagueaddict

Juniors
I thought before the kiwi belting last week that if we went down to them we'd be absolutely flogged by the green machine the week after. Some reason I'm feeling optimistic with this game now and hopefully the baby broncs will gel in this one and get home with a tight one.

Broncos should win by at least 12. They had an off week against the Warriors, didn't really affect the ladder much and don't blame them for going over the ditch and just having a run.
Bulldogs and Storm in the next few weeks and the results of those games WILL be much more important.

DeeJ

Bench
3. Boyd
2. Parker
1. Mcguire

I know we had some injuries and reshuffles, but why don't even ever completely smash opponents? When we win, we do enough then just sit back.

Pickem

Juniors
3. Boyd
2. Parker
1. Mcguire

I know we had some injuries and reshuffles, but why don't even ever completely smash opponents? When we win, we do enough then just sit back.

We're just not the sort of side that can really steamroll anyone besides the absolute dregs of the competition, especially in situations like tonight where we're a bit thin due to injuries and a little fatigued from three games in eight days for a lot of the team.. We don't have a forward pack with the size & impact to really roll through too many teams and allow the halves to go to work against a back pedalling defense.

Teams like the Cowboys have that and that's why they can really tear a lot of teams to bits and rack up big scores.

I think Brisbane is a season or three away from potentially being where the likes of the Cowboys currently are

Nightward

Juniors
Just as well we have the bye next week, hopefully it will let Kahu and Glenn shake off their injuries.

Have heard through the grapevine that Reed's injury is really severe and may be the end of his career, is anyone else hearing that or do I have a chicken little on my hands? The news releases made it sound... well, not routine, but certainly something that can be repaired and returned from.

I think we were lucky the Raiders decided to keep going to their left instead of attacking on their right where we had Nikorima filling in as a centre and Glenn out.

3. Boyd.
2. Parker.
1. Milford.

Honourable mention: Tevita Pangai, Jr had an outstanding game. Hopefully he can continue in that vein.

Dishonourable mention: Greg Eden. Needs to be permanently exiled to Queensland Cup.

Surely Bennet will take action on Eden, Broncos can't take a player like that through to the finals.
Seems like this season the Broncos lose a bit of commitment in the last 15 minutes, used to be THE team that played the absolute full 80 minutes.

Nerd

Bench
Boyd must be the premier fullback in the comp at the moment. On the other hand I feel sorry for Greg Eden the guy seems to have a bit of pace and trys hard but just doesn't seem to be up to NRL standard.

3. Boyd
2. Gillett
1. McGuire

Maroon4life

Juniors
3. Boyd
2. Parker
1. Mcguire

Look no further than the forward pack.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Parker
2. Boyd
1. Blair

Good to get the win I guess, given our last 5 weeks or so... Psychologically good going into the bye too.

But again we are yet to show evidence of going one better this year. There is still time to come good and hopefully Bennett has a few tricks up his sleeve. But at the moment we'll just be making up the numbers in the finals.

Our depth in some of our positions is horrendous, including wing. Eden is just not NRL standard and then there is Maranta who is generally safe but will never set the world on fire, and had a shocker last week. It's a real shame that no-one else (e.g. Seve/Anderson/Pearson/Opacic etc) is really putting their hand up. There is a spot there for someone who really wants it.

user_nat

Coach
So I've never really noticed it until last night, but Hunt's tackling technique is kinda bad. Particularly when defending in the other teams half up to half way. He kind just throws himself into people and bounces right off half the time.
It's weird cause when he wants to he is actually a decent defender.

Last edited:

some11

Referee
He has to do that against bigger guys like Paulo, going front on or taking the legs takes him out of the defensive line for the next tackle - essentially a speed bump for other guys to clean up afterwards.

Reed has been doing it all season.

Bronco18

Juniors
3. McGuire
2. Boyd
1. Parker

Good to see Pangai Jr. have a go. Offloads + big shots made for a bit of spark off the bench. I like him having a big hit in defence but he's prone to shoot out of the line to do it, it came back to bite him against the Warriors.

What are the options if Reed is goneskis? I haven't been following much of the QCup... is Opacic a first grade chance? I'd rather not have Eden here, especially as it looks like he's leaving as is.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Another tough encounter but great to see us get the win. No baby broncos about it (That's what happens when you live in the deep south). Full deck onboard unfortunately a few injuries coming out of this one. Everyone played pretty solid except for GE. Held my breath everytime he had the ball. Rather Maranta there anyday. And not sure where Hunt's head is at - Kicking/tackling...geezus?

3. Boyd
2. Gillett
1. Parker

Snappy

Coach
Thought Waddell had his best game.

Blair coming off the bench had a real positive impact, and because of this I expect Bennett to use him like that more often.

That was a pretty gritty effort to hold out the Raiders in the first 15 mins when they were all over us. Good to get the two points and hopefully we've turned the corner.

Also, Ben Hunt has been using that method to tackle big blokes for years, but now people are having a sook because he bounced off Paulo a few times ? It's generally pretty effective in slowing the bloke down until other defenders can help out. Paulo is a man mountain and bumps off blokes like that every week.

Last edited:

Latest posts