What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 14

AuckMel

Bench
Blues v Hawks
Pies v Freo
Crows v Tigers
Eagles v Suns
Swans v GWS
Bombers v Dogs
Cats v Port
Lions v Demons
Saints v North

I'm going with all the home teams excluding the Blues.

Hawks by 12
Pies by 36
Crows by 20
Eagles by 66
Swans by 110
Bombers by 40
Cats by 36
Lions by 12
Saints by 24

CyberKev

Staff member
Collingwood will win comfortably.

Geelong should slaughterate Port given how many key Power players are indisposed.

Swans, Eagles, Bombers and Lions in the other meh games.

Will run with the rebounding Crows at home, largely on the back of the Crows taking their turn in the harsh media glare this week. No gimme though.

Similarly, I expect North to run the Saints all the way.

I'll stick with Hawthorn, but without great confidence. Carlton has shown good signs over the past fortnight, and this is just the sort of situation that the Hawks could get a touch-up in.

CyberKev

Staff member
It could be the dispiriting effects of influenza bringing me down here, but confidence levels are showing a distinct southwards trajectory as kick-off time approaches.

Carlton WANT IT and I've got the nauseating feeling that they're primed for a big showing and ready to run amok.

Bugger it!

CyberKev

Staff member
Well, this is the worst case of flu I've ever had :eek:

I couldn't have read it more wrong.

Ambled through it and really should have won by a bigger margin.

Big problems for Carlton, which looked plodding in attack with the big ruckmen.

Bit of a dull game really.

CyberKev

Staff member
They've gone back to a time in which wheels weren't even invented.

Structurally they're deficient and there depth is being tested, but they're clearly down on both overall work rate and confidence to boot.

They're no chance against Collingwood next week and that loss will officially end their top four aspirations.

Sucks to be Brett Ratten right now.

AuckMel

Bench
To think I had them as Premiers either this year or next. I wonder if their time has passed?

CyberKev

Staff member
I'm not sure that their time has passed necessarily, but its hard to get the balance right.

Judd was their best player last night, but even when he's playing well, he's not as good as he used to be.

They badly missed Henderson, but even with him in, they are still a good key forward short. Ironically, a player named Josh Kennedy would slot in nice.

Murphy would certainly improve things, but while they do have Simpson, Scotland & Carrazzo, all of these players are what I'd consider to be very solid, but not gun players.

So Carlton's problems are really two-fold.

Firstly, they lack depth of talent in their top 22 that can have quite an impact when a couple of their better players are out and another couple are down on form.

Secondly, and more tellingly, they lack sound list depth in general.

As I've said often now, you have to be careful in how you assess the tern 'depth' in 21st century football. Its not the same as it was when there was no salary cap and wealthier clubs could stockpile talent in their reserves.

Its a test of any side's mettle these days when they're forced to call upon their 'depth'. The quality of your depth these days translates more to being able to mitigate the extent of your losses, rather than essentially replace them.

Collingwood have good contemporary 'depth', as they've been able to string together a strong winning run despite being down on a lot of personnel. Even then, however, they've been fortunate that their irreplaceables (Cloke & Jolly remain unscathed).

Carlton have certainly had personnel problems, but not as bad as Collingwood, yet their poor depth means they've struggled for wins, of any description, over the same period.

You'd still think that if a bloke like Malthouse took the reins then Carlton could lift again, but they're a quality midfielder and key forward short, even in the best of circumstances.

CyberKev

Staff member
A remarkable 10 on the trot for Collingwood, closing fast on finals qualification.

Fab comeback by Adelaide, but a disaster for the Tigers, with a loss that could have ramifications at season's end.

Likely Final ladder - as of 30 June

1 - Collingwood
2 - Adelaide
3 - Hawthorn
4 - Sydney
5 - West Coast
6 - Essendon
7 - North Melbourne
8 - St Kilda
------------------------
9 - Richmond
10 - Geelong
11 - Carlton
12 - Fremantle
13 - Brisbane
14 - Port Adelaide
15 - Melbourne
16 - Bulldogs
17 - Gold Coast
18 - GWS

AuckMel

Bench
Last night was ugly. 3 terrible games which highlighted the huge gap between top and bottom.

Ladder before todays games. Saints and the Lions to move up.

1. Collingwood
2. Sydney
3. West Coast
4. Essendon
5. Adelaide
6. Hawthorn
7. Geelong
8. St. Kilda
----------------------
9. Carlton
10. Richmond
11. Kangaroos