What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 - Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles: Saturday 22nd August 7:35pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to shift our focus and look towards yet another massive game this week against Manly on Saturday night. I know I've been saying every game lately has been a big game but the reality is, every game from now on is huge! This one in particular carries a lot of weight. Not only because the Sea Eagles are a big rival of ours, but because they are one of our main contenders for a top eight spot. Therefore, this game is huge and it's absolutely crucial to get the win. This game really could make or break our Season.

Manly are a bit lower on the ladder than they'd like to be and have been smashed by injuries but that doesn't mean I'm taking them lightly and I hope the boys aren't either. They are a tough, gritty side that fights til the end and never gives up. Even with their injuries, they still have a heck of a lot of quality there. You look at guys like Cherry-Evans, he's gonna be the focal point that we have to look to shut down on Saturday night, but even their pack is outstanding. Lead by big Taupau (he will most likely return for them) and Trbojevic, and with others like Thompson and Sironen, they'll be hard to stop and the forward battle is going to be absolutely key so I hope our lads are ready.

Last week against the Cowboys, while getting the result, probably didn't go the way we wanted it to so I'm hoping the boys will be fired up and ready for a big improvement on Saturday night. Wayne will be back mid week which will help. W can't afford to be off our game like we were last Round. The boys must complete well because Manly are the type of side that if we give them chances, they'll certainly take them so our defence needs a big improvement too. We also face a stiffer, more gritty defensive side so I'm hoping our attack can continue to improve and we'll have to find new ways to break them down. We need a bounce back from Latrell and Cookie in particular for this one.

So yea, it's such a huge game, such a crucial game in the 2020 Season that could go a long way to deciding who makes it and who misses out. We can do this!!

callmack1

Staff member
Liam Knight takes early guilty plea: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/16/liam-knight-charged-by-match-review-committee/

So Knighty will miss this one. That's a blow for us. Really hoping that Sironen is good to go (no word on his injury yet) and/or that Hame is good to return because we need them this week. Obviously Johns could come in but I really don't want us to be forced into handing Dillon a debut in such a big game. If both Sironen and Sele are out, do we reckon Cartwright could get a look in?

The top eight is decided. So who wins the five-way battle for the top four?: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/7fea319af9f4855c2e22b9fb0f9a1e7b

Top eight is not decided in my opinion, anything can still happen. We can't afford to have the attitude that the top eight is decided, we must keep being desperate!

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 15,

1. Mitchell
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Gagai
5. Paulo
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Tatola
9. Cook
10. Burgess
11. Su'A
12. Sironen
13. Murray

14. Nicholls
15. Johns
16. Mago
17. Koloamatangi

Most of the side should remain the same I think apart from the pack reshuffle due to Knight's absence. Really hoping that no news is good news in relation to Siro's injury and if that proves to be the case, he'd probably start on the left edge with Murray moving back to lock. Jack Johns will most likely come into the side for Knight. If Siro isn't good to go then god knows what we'll do.

callmack1

Staff member

Travitoh

First Grade
If AFB comes into the side, it's a strong lineup that Manly will have.
Quality halves, dangerous backs, strong pack. They're a better side than their results would suggest.
If Souths can contain them early, Manly's big boys will run out of steam and the Rabbitohs should run over them the longer the game goes on.

Last edited:

Hellray

Juniors
Quality halves, dangerous backs, strong pack. They're a better side than their results would suggest.
If Souths can contain them early, Manly's big boys will run out of steam and the Rabbitohs should run over them the longer the game goes on.
We will need Reynolds kicking game to be on point as I think the high ball will be our greatest attacking weapon against some very untested back 3

callmack1

Staff member
Matty Johns steps out of limelight as sons make name for themselves: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/20...f-limelight-as-sons-make-name-for-themselves/

'Embarrassed' Bennett to rejoin Souths bubble as players rap Demetriou: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/em...as-players-rap-demetriou-20200819-p55nco.html

I think Fonua-Blake is still out for a week or two. I know he's on the reserves for them but I think he's still out, here's hoping because he'd be a massive in for them.

And yep, I agree. We need to start well, give them a sniff and we'll be in it up to our eye balls.

callmack1

Staff member
Buggar!! Jack Johns is out due to Season ending surgery on his finger. That's a pretty big blow to be honest.

MATTY’S MIXED FEELINGS IN BIG WEEK FOR SONS

It’s been a hectic lead-up to the NRL debut of his youngest son Cooper for the face of Fox League, Matty Johns.

Cooper Johns, 21, will make his debut for the Storm on Thursday night in a top four showdown against the Parramatta Eels at BankWest.

Matty’s eldest son, South Sydney backrower Jack, made his NRL debut against the Raiders in July and was due to make his third appearance for the Bunnies against Manly on Saturday night.

The Johns family feat would have marked the first time the brothers have played in the NRL on the same weekend together.

That was until Jack Johns suffered a compound finger fracture at training on Wednesday.

Matty had to drive Jack to the hospital for season-ending surgery on Thursday, get him back home, then get to Fox League in time to watch Cooper’s debut and host his Thursday Night With Matty Johns Show.

Good judges reckon Cooper is a straight out chip off the old block.

Training Gallery - Round 15: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/08/19/training-gallery-round-15/

I'd say it'd either be Cartwright or Dillon coming in. I'd be inclined to say Dillon because in this gallery, he's seen training in the green shirt.

callmack1

Staff member
Fonua-Blake looks set to play. That's a massive in for them, makes their forward pack even stronger so we certainly have a job to do in the middle tomorrow.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My match preview:

So let’s look at the forward battle:

Manly: AFB Levi, Taupau, Waddell, C. Sironen, Jake Turbo, Croker, Paseka, Gosiewski, Keppie

Souths: Tatola, Cook, Tom, Su’a, B. Sironen, Murray, Nicholls, Koloamatangi, Mago, Dillon

No doubt Manly have the edge in the forwards AFB and Taupau will look to bust tackles and offload at will plus eat up every metre they can with massive leg drive. Waddell will run strong lines and Curtis they’ll try getting him running one on one on Cody plus charging into Bayley. Jake Turbo will be his usual strong self looking to create as well. The Manly has very strong impact, Paseka is a man mountain and was fantastic against the Knights pack last week. We all know what Gosiewski offers in charging onto the ball and hitting hard in defence and Keppie has really stepped up this year and done a job for them.

Onto us now and we need to bring the energy right from that start and that starts with Junior getting into his work with his solid strong charges, we really need Junior to charge onto the ball, Tom as well we need him to get his legs pumping for every metre matching Marty and AFB, we need more from Su’a for mine we need him to run good lines and also get his legs pumping looking for an offload or 2 if we can. Bayley we just need him to run good lines and get fast play the balls to help Cookie plus do some ball playing if he can chime in as well as hold Curtis up DONT LET CURTIS OFFLOAD. We all know what Murray brings don’t need to say much on him but surely he’s due a meat pie. Off the bench we just need Nicholls to be his steady old self making his hit ups and strong in defence. Koloamatangi is our key off the bench for me in that he needs to match Paseka and even better him. I wanna see Koloa in beast mode like he has been the last couple of weeks with a real purpose to his work eating up the metres with his leg drive. Mago will probs be used in a 20mins burst and we also need him to just go hell for leather giving it his all. I don’t expect Dillon to get more than 10mins.

The battle of the spines:

Manly have had Garrick play fullback before and he can do a job, he’s fast on his feet and has energy and will chime in on both sides of the field, Cust can play no doubt about it we need to watch him and not give him time. Shutting down DCE is the key he’s gonna wanna be enormous tomorrow so we can’t take our eyes off him for a second as he’s an ultimate competitor. Nullifying DCE as best as we can will go a long way to winning this game, thing is nullifying him is no easy task at all. Then there is Levi who doesn’t mind a scoot from dummy half for a try so our markers have to be right on.

Looking at us I wanna see Latrell taking more kick returns. I also wanna see Latrell pop up a bit more in attack. Also he will be greatly tested under the high ball so must be up for it. We need Latrell creating on both edges of the field as well we need him busy and in the game for long periods. Cody we know his support play will be good but it will be things like him putting in a kick to the corner or making a strong tackle early will be the things we look for, for him to get up and running. We need Cody to play both sides of the field like Latrell as well. Most of all we need Cody to be strong in defence as we all know Manly will send loads of traffic his way. Reyno well his kicking game needs to be right on some and we need him to get us repeat sets, also his goalkicking could b the difference. I’d like to see Reyno take on the line a few times as well as feeding Su’a and Campbell ball in some space. The Manly wingers love to jam in as well so a chip over the top to AJ could be a good trick. As for Cookie we need him to not hesitate we need him on the ball being decisive especially in attack he needs to get the ball to our halves and we can’t keep trying crash ball after crash ball as it won’t work. I wanna see Cookie run as well when he can and not stop and then think pass just run and go for it.

On a separate note in the backs Gagai up against Suli worries me. I think Gags has to tackle Suli low that’s the only way he stops him. Manly will be giving Suli lots of early ball that’s for sure so Gags can not back track he needs to confront Suli and not give him time.

Being disciplined will be key as well as Hasler kicked up a massive stink speaking with Bernard Sutton in the week about the reffing and 11-3 penalty count against them last week and said they should’ve had more penalties yes they got it wrong. So Bernard no doubt will have told Gerard Sutton tomorrow to give Manly more calls and penalties so that’s what I expect to happen.

Also if we make to many errors it just invites DCE to take charge of the whole game so we need to make sure our completions are high.

I believe Cody and Latrell can get us home in a nail biter, this will be a great game. I’m gonna say Souths by 4 as we have just a little to much class at home.

callmack1

Staff member
Well here we are, Game Day is finally here!! What a massive Game Day it is too, probably our biggest game of the year tonight and it'll be huge in the context of our Season. Win, and we most likely tie up a top eight spot, lose, and the Finals race is wide open again and we start to look a little shakey. So yea, tonight is the biggest game of the year.

Not only that, but we're up against a traditional rival and our history goes way back. It's no secret we don't exactly like Manly and our clashes are always firey. Tonight will be no different. The Sea Eagles will be tough to get by tonight, there's no doubt about that. The quality of their roster does not translate to their position on the ladder and despite their injuries, they are still an incredibly quality side. They will be playing this one like it's a Grand Final. With their Finals spot potentially on the line, the will be desperate so our boys need to match that desperation because our Finals spot could be on the line here too, we don't know what will happen in the final Rounds. The forward battle is the key for tonight. With both Fonua-Blake and Taupau returning for them, it'll be no easy task but we just must match them through the middle. DCE is also the key, you will never fully stop him but we need to keep his effectiveness to a minimum.

For us, as I said, we need to be desperate too tonight. We can't fade in and out of games like we have in the past this year, it just has to be a fully focussed, fully committed and desperate performance from the opening minute. The boys will no doubt realise how big a game this is so we need to see a response. Our completions and defence are the big areas of improvement that we need to see tonight. Manly will punish us if we don't improve those areas. I'm really hoping our spine will fire tonight and we need a lift from Latrell and Cookie. Dillon is also on debut so I'm quite excited to see how he goes.

Man, this is just such a big occasion. I know that we can do it!!!

callmack1

Staff member
Steven Marsters will make his debut tonight. No idea who he comes in for though. Hope no one has been a late withdrawl.

Travitoh

First Grade
Steven Marsters will make his debut tonight. No idea who he comes in for though. Hope no one has been a late withdrawl.

I look forward to seeing him play. Looks good from the limited footage I've seen.
Kinda hoping he's in at centre for Paulo with Gagai shifting to the wing.

Edit: In for Gagai. Going to miss his workrate.

Last edited:

Latest posts