What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs. Melbourne Storm Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Melbourne Storm vs. Brisbane Broncos
AAMI Park, Friday 17 June 2022
Kick Off: 7:55pm

MEL2022TEAM.png

1. Nick Meaney 2. Dean Ieremia 3. Marion Seve 4. Justin Olam 5. Grant Anderson 6. Cameron Munster 7. Jahrome Hughes 8. Jesse Bromwich 9. Harry Grant 10. Nelson Asofa-Solomona 11. Felise Kaufusi 12. Kenny Bromwich 13. Josh King

Interchange: 14. Brandon Smith 15. Tui Kamikamica 16. Trent Loiero 17. Chris Lewis

Reserves: 18. Jayden Nikorima 19. Alec MacDonald 20. Jordan Grant 21. Ryan Papenhuyzen 22. Tyran Wishart

BRI2022TEAM.png

1. Te Maire Martin 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Brenko Lee 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Ezra Mam 7. Tyrone Roberts 8. Corey Jensen 9. Billy Walters 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Jake Turpin 15. Kobe Hetherington 16. Thomas Flegler 17. Keenan Palasia

Reserves: 18. Jordan Pereira 19. Rhys Kennedy 20. Delouise Hoeter 21. Xavier Willison 22. Ryan James​

Big Pete

Referee
It's going to be a tough game for the Broncos who haven't managed to beat Melbourne since 2016. With injuries to Reynolds, Farnworth, Paix and Haas racing the clock to be fit it would take a tremendous performance for the Broncos to get up here.

This was shaping up to be Papenhuyzen's return game but unfortunately for Ryan he contracted Covid so he'll miss the game. That will make life easier for the Broncos but with Grant, Munster, Hughes and B. Smith on the field Melbourne shouldn't struggle for points.

I expect the Broncos will make a game of it, especially if the back three can step up. Te Maire Martin especially will be crucial for the game and while he comes in with a rib complaint of his own, if he can help organise the attack and take a hands on role it should help the Broncos shift the ball. I think if the Broncos are to stand a chance it will be through playing an expansive brand of footy and giving Staggs, Cobbo and Oates as much good ball as possible.

Brisbane go into the game as $5.50 outsiders so that should highlight the challenge for them heading into the game.

DeeJ

Bench
Does Gamble still have leg soreness? I think he has shown himself to be adequate at most times as an organiser and 5th tackle kicker and it is a shame he has been left out.

Leaguenutter

Juniors
Does Gamble still have leg soreness? I think he has shown himself to be adequate at most times as an organiser and 5th tackle kicker and it is a shame he has been left out.
Yep, I read about article today that said he has stress fractures in his lower leg

ALX25

Bench
Met a benchmark tonight. Glad to see it not blow out too much. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Big Pete

Referee
Melbourne Storm 32 def. Brisbane Broncos 20 (Oates 2, Cobbo, Mam tries; Staggs 2/4 goals)

9-5

Considering the amount of talent missing I thought the Broncos competed well. They led 16-6 at one stage and were unlucky to let Melbourne back in the game. Melbourne saw Martin in the defensive line and put a kick in behind the line, Cobbo read it but just bobbled it.

They also had opportunities to regain the lead but errors from Flegler and Riki early on just put a halt to the proceedings.

I'd say the theme of the night was Melbourne punishing Brisbane off of set starts. Brisbane would concede a piggyback penalty which would allow Melbourne to run through their formations and they'd eventually find the Broncos out one way or another.

For the Broncos, I thought Roberts stepped up in Reynolds' absence. He had a hand in two tries and largely controlled things nicely at 7. The forwards tolled hard with Capewell leading the way and they did well to match Melbourne for the majority of the night.

Still, I think it's another example of the Broncos being outclassed and outsmarted by Melbourne. The Broncos would have beaten a lot of teams on tonights performance, but Melbourne just made the Broncos pay too often. They just know how to push the envelope and gain every advantage whereas Brisbane lack that attention to detail.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I know there are some positives to take from the game, and we have certainly turned a corner, but I can't help but feel a touch disappointed. We made a few really dumb mistakes and apart from a 10 minute period we looked a level below the Storm. We have played better than that without Reynolds.

Big Pete

Referee
I know there are some positives to take from the game, and we have certainly turned a corner, but I can't help but feel a touch disappointed. We made a few really dumb mistakes and apart from a 10 minute period we looked a level below the Storm. We have played better than that without Reynolds.
The disappointing thing is the Broncos have only been in that position one other time since their last victory. They put themselves in a position to win but errors at key times really hurt them.

It was always going to be a tough ask, but this was the type of game where they really needed that right edge to make a difference and they were all out-played. Cobbo on Ieremia especially felt like a match-up that should have worked in the Broncos favour, but unfortunately Selwyn had an off night.

Leaguenutter

Juniors
You simply cannot give away silly mistakes against the top 4 sides. Flegler's mistake was a classic example.

Showtime

Juniors
The use of the interchange was an interesting one. Palasia is too good of a player to only play 4 minutes. I’m more critical of Riki than anyone else but I just don’t see what he brings to this side.

I know Flegler made a mistake but it’s great watching his improvement. There’s some ridiculous young talent in this forward pack.

Anyone keeping tabs on Mozer and Piakura, is the hype real and how close are they to regular first grade?

Big Pete

Referee
Anyone keeping tabs on Mozer and Piakura, is the hype real and how close are they to regular first grade?

Mozer just made his Queensland Cup debut.

He made an impact when he came on and helped put the Magpies in the lead. Unfortunately it wasn't enough as the Magpies had a player go to the bin and it appeared Mozer copped a knock late in the game. I don't think he'd be able to handle the grind of the NRL physically yet but I can see him getting a taste next year.

Blake will line up for Queensland U/19s on Thursday. It's going to be a tall order against a star studded NSW side.

Piakura has largely been on the sidelines due to injuries and concussions. He has been stringing some games together in recent weeks and starting put some decent touches together. I don't think he's quite put his hand up just yet, but he may get an opportunity later in the year to progress his development.

Deine Mariner also returned this week. Deine was rated as the best schoolboy coming through the Queensland school system but recently had ankle surgery. Apparently he was quiet in his return game against the Falcons. He's one player I'd like to see make his debut before the year ends. He's still very raw, but he has huge upside and I could see him becoming a mainstay in 2023.

I'd say of all the juniors coming through Willison is the closest to earning a jersey. He's been impressive coming off a knee reco and I wouldn't be shocked at all if he plays against the Cows.

It won't happen, but if the Broncos were to pick the best #9 available to them, it'd be Harrison Graham. He's off to the Dolphins, but he's the best young dummy half in QCup and can be a real handful of the bench. I doubt the Broncos will upset the apple cart and will play it long term, but with Turpin on the outer and Mozer a year off I wouldn't be against the move.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Deine Mariner also returned this week. Deine was rated as the best schoolboy coming through the Queensland school system but recently had ankle surgery. Apparently he was quiet in his return game against the Falcons.
13 runs (215m), 2 Line-Breaks, 7 Tackle-Breaks, 2 Tackles (0 Missed).

Would love to see what a solid game looks like.