What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs. Melbourne Storm

Talanexor

Juniors
Tal, not having a go here mate but,

What in holy hell has Henry achieved in two seasons that would warrant, or give you confidence, to give him such power?

Henry's been bloody disappointing and he needs to wear a lot of the blame.

But as coaches go he's not too bad. In 2009 he inherited a one-man team that didn't think they could win a damned thing. Our defence improved out of sight, as did the players fitness - it was just our disjointed attack and injuries to key players that cost us a finals berth. He started 2010 with the worst backline in the NRL and a bunch of well-paid players who were putting in rubbish performances week in week out. A lot of players suffered form slumps too - Payne, Thurston and John Williams most notably.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you can sack the coach and the entire squad, but nothing is going to improve while Parr, Lancini and the rest of the management are still in place. Besides, who would you realistically replace Neil Henry with? The only experienced NRL coach on the market is Ricky Stuart - no thanks.

Canard

Immortal
It amazing Ive never seen a head coach get such a free pass from his fans.

We are missing the finals for the second straight year under his leadership and its a) the players fault or b) the boards fault.

Seems like N Henry is in the Tim Sheens category of protected species.

BDR

First Grade
Nah mate, nobody is giving him a free pass.

Henry has definitely contributed to our downfall, and he definitely deserves the lion's share of the blame. BUT - who can we replace him with? The only NRL standard coach on the market is Sticky, what has he done that has convinced you he will do better than Henry? On top of that is the fact that Henry was signed to a 5 year contract, and sacking him means we need to pay out 3 years on a fairly hefty contract for no gain.

The problem is the board who signed Henry to such a geniused contract and left us in this untenable situation. So while at the moment we can't do anything about Henry, we sure as hell can get rid of Lancini, Parr & Co. who are dragging our club down hard.

Big Pete

Referee
I don't know if you can really blame Henry for the slide. He was responsible for the slow start in 2009 and the silly trade Farrar for Bani trade otherwise I don't think you can really knock him.

He needs to get all his players back on board, fully fit and needs to get a better backline to work with.

I didn't see the game last night, but sounds like another flogging.

Canard

Immortal
I don't know if you can really blame Henry for the slide. He was responsible for the slow start in 2009 and the silly trade Farrar for Bani trade otherwise I don't think you can really knock him.

He needs to get all his players back on board, fully fit and needs to get a better backline to work with.

I dont rate Stuart as an NRL coach whatsover, rode on Graham Murray's coat tails at the Roosters with a team loaded with superstars. Im failing to see what "gain" we get from continiuing to employ him for the next 3 seasons? Dwindling membership, falling sponsor dollars and inability to attract top line talent to the club??

Henry had nothing to do with the Bani/Farrar thing, that was due to a Farrar's sick family.

As for all his players back on board?? Last night we were full strength barring LOD, who hasn't really been "there" for the Cowboys in about a year now anyway.

Talanexor

Juniors

Henry inherited a team in 2009 that was woeful in defence, unmotivated and unfit. It was always going to be a slow start to the season. You can't blame him for losing Farrar either - Farrar's mum got cancer and Hasler offered to swap him - Newcastle is about 2 hours from Sydney and about 2 days from Townsville.

The game was brutal. Poor ball control, poor completions, constantly getting penalised, poor kicking game, terrible defence. Every time Melbourne spread the ball wide we fell apart. It was like 2008 all over again.

I wouldn't waste my time watching it tbh Pete.

Canard

Immortal
I watched it live and it was the worst game Ive seen them play since 2008, and they had excuses then.

No excuses last night. Was embarrased to sit there in the crowd to be honest.

Big Pete

Referee
Henry had nothing to do with the Bani/Farrar thing, that was due to a Farrar's sick family.

Untrue.

That was the popular belief on here, the real reason was the Cowboys didn't have any concrete plans for him in the future and Manly needed somebody for Stewart. Cowboys weren't interested in releasing him until the Sea Eagles offered a swap in Bani which attracted Henry.

Farrar's mum had been struggling with health for years. It didn't just occur at that time.

Canard

Immortal
Untrue.

That was the popular belief on here, the real reason was the Cowboys didn't have any concrete plans for him in the future and Manly needed somebody for Stewart. Cowboys weren't interested in releasing him until the Sea Eagles offered a swap in Bani which attracted Henry.

Farrar's mum had been struggling with health for years. It didn't just occur at that time.

That wasn't just popular belief on "here" there were articles that came out in the mainstream media after the event.

At first the Cowboys stupidly tried to claim it was just a straight swap, then came clean as to why we got some Manly cast-off?

Big Pete

Referee
Like this one?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...stand-by-his-mum/story-e6frexnr-1225757047600

Read the entire story.

Especially this part.
Off contract at the end of the year, Farrar approached Cowboys management mid-season to ask about their plans for him.
The Cowboys weren't prepared to make an early call. With his mother's health a major consideration, Farrar looked at his options.
In the space of a few short weeks, the centre/winger moved from the Cowboys to Manly after coach Des Hasler showed interest in him. "It wasn't straightforward because the Cowboys baulked at it initially, but then Manly offered them Michael Bani in a swap and the deal was done,'' Farrar's father, John, said.

Talanexor

Juniors
Well that makes me very f*cking pissed off!

Farrar is one of the best young centres in the game, and he can play anywhere 1-5 (or 6 in an emergency).

Fair enough if the mum-had-cancer thing is true, but if the coaching staff couldn't see we were onto a winner with this kid, they shouldn't be coaching!

Canard

Immortal
But that CLEARY states the Cowboys didn't want to part with him. And he argued that he wanted to be closer to his sick Mum. And the Cowboys didn't want a bar of it, but only came around after another player was offered in the swap.

In fact thats no different to what Tal and I have been saying.

Charlie124

First Grade
can we just get the f**k over the fact that Farrar is gone??!!!! please??!!

I dont think even bulldogs fans complain about losing Thurston as much as some people on here go on about losing Farrar, he's an ok player who left the club over a year ago......deal with it people. Its not like he's bloody Greg Inglis or something.

Canard

Immortal
Agreed fringe first grader at best.

Best centres in the game is a bit of stretch!