What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Raiders

blacksafake

First Grade
TEAM LISTS

Behind enemy lines: Round 15​

Author Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au Timestamp Tue 15 Jun 2021, 04:05 PM

Share on social media​

The Canberra Raiders have named their 21-man squad to play St George Illawarra on Saturday, June 19 at WIN Stadium, Wollongong (5:30pm).
The Raiders remain unchanged following their last start win over the Brisbane Broncos in Round 14.

Match: Dragons v Raiders​

Round 15 - Saturday 19th June

5:30pm

Dragons
Home Team

Dragons

Raiders
Away Team

Raiders

Venue: WIN Stadium, Wollongong

thebigredv

First Grade
I’m not totally sold on the Feagai boys. They look to be rock solid but neither look overly big or express pace from what I’ve seen. I hope I’m wrong and admittedly they haven’t had a lot of game time but from what I’ve seen they look more Tim Lafai than Greg Inglis.

I like them from what I've seen. Worth noting, I was pushing for Ramsey to get a shot for a while and then have gone very cold on that. I just think both of them are worth a shot and it is timely to do it now.

They look confident in first grade, are strong and Matt in particular seemed to be an ever present player on his debut, getting to the contest to compete, and finished nicely. I have not seen much of them in lower grades to be fair, but they are athletic and powerful from first impressions.

rasaint

Juniors
Forbes Creek you said what I was thinking. I have heard of then seen a lot of prospective gun junior players going to turn the ship around for a number of years. Unfortunately, most are pretty standard at NRL level. In my view Zac Lomax falls in that category. Dufty has scored the most sublime individual trys at NRL so he can play. However seemed particularly disinterested yesterday.
Certainly Mark Gaz was the biggest name to come through and delivered on the hype. Matt Cooper did develope over a couple of years but he always had top level speed from the get go
Feagai brothers look solid to me but not outstanding. I’m waiting for Sullivan to arrive injury free and get a crack and see how he goes. He went ok but not outstanding in one NRL match I think so far. Amone has big wraps. I’ll wait, scored an NRL try, but doesn’t appear anything over the odds Yet. Cody Ramsey I thought would be a superstar, but hey seems to be handled comfortably at NRL level. Possum has his eyes on a chap called Schiller I think. Another in the mix.
Im not bagging anyone. Just saying no body has thundered on the scene like Teddy, Ponga, Papenhuyzen etc.
Heres hoping.

thebigredv

First Grade
Forbes Creek you said what I was thinking. I have heard of then seen a lot of prospective gun junior players going to turn the ship around for a number of years. Unfortunately, most are pretty standard at NRL level. In my view Zac Lomax falls in that category. Dufty has scored the most sublime individual trys at NRL so he can play. However seemed particularly disinterested yesterday.
Certainly Mark Gaz was the biggest name to come through and delivered on the hype. Matt Cooper did develope over a couple of years but he always had top level speed from the get go
Feagai brothers look solid to me but not outstanding. I’m waiting for Sullivan to arrive injury free and get a crack and see how he goes. He went ok but not outstanding in one NRL match I think so far. Amone has big wraps. I’ll wait, scored an NRL try, but doesn’t appear anything over the odds Yet. Cody Ramsey I thought would be a superstar, but hey seems to be handled comfortably at NRL level. Possum has his eyes on a chap called Schiller I think. Another in the mix.
Im not bagging anyone. Just saying no body has thundered on the scene like Teddy, Ponga, Papenhuyzen etc.
Heres hoping.

Hook, from what it seems, is going to be relying on those players mention + Sloan to build a new team around over the next 2 years. Comparing them to Gaz and Coops is tough as those are giants though point taken. I agree though, and compared to Suali, Walker, Walsh types our juniors look more average. For instance, I'm not particularly excited with Lomax's inclusion this week as if he does play he will probably have a solid game and kick some good goals if we can jag some tries, not much more, not a match winner, not an x-factor. Yet he is the best junior we have produced and held onto in a while. We used to be so good at developing...

For me these 2 years ahead look at best a chance to start a fresh (this club needs that) and give us a foundation to build on and become competitive again but without some great purchases with the mcinness, frizzell etc money the journey out of mediocrity looks long and arduous. I don't know if I will survive it.

zombiebloodlust

Juniors
Hook, from what it seems, is going to be relying on those players mention + Sloan to build a new team around over the next 2 years. Comparing them to Gaz and Coops is tough as those are giants though point taken. I agree though, and compared to Suali, Walker, Walsh types our juniors look more average. For instance, I'm not particularly excited with Lomax's inclusion this week as if he does play he will probably have a solid game and kick some good goals if we can jag some tries, not much more, not a match winner, not an x-factor. Yet he is the best junior we have produced and held onto in a while. We used to be so good at developing...

For me these 2 years ahead look at best a chance to start a fresh (this club needs that) and give us a foundation to build on and become competitive again but without some great purchases with the mcinness, frizzell etc money the journey out of mediocrity looks long and arduous. I don't know if I will survive it.
There were some major errors made under the McGregor regime as he scrambled in vain for instant success to save his own skin, and eschewed future planning. Players like Reece Robson and Luciano Leilua in particular should not have been lost.

But the Steelers SG Ball premiership team contains a nucleus worth building on in the years ahead. Sullivan, Amone and Sloan, then there's the Feagai brothers and Lomax, perhaps Hunt moved to 9. That has something. I'm not sold on many of the forwards so we need something there, but that core looks alright.

Developing from within is important, but good coaching is most important of all. Melbourne Storm continue to be the benchmark because they exceed in both those areas. The bulk of their squad either made their debut at Melbourne, or were rejects from other clubs. And this is despite losing 3 of the greatest players to ever play the game all within the last 5 years, yet they remain on top

denis preston

First Grade
Heres hoping.
Teddy wasn't a instant success and Papenhausen failed to impress the Tigers obviously !

denis preston

First Grade
I’m not totally sold on the Feagai boys. They look to be rock solid but neither look overly big or express pace from what I’ve seen. I hope I’m wrong and admittedly they haven’t had a lot of game time but from what I’ve seen they look more Tim Lafai than Greg Inglis.
Again, with all these juniors hopefully coming through, due to covid last year we are talking about players who would be lucky to have played a dozen games in their life against MEN let alone NRL. If there is one thing worse than our teams lack of resilience it would have to be the supporters patience. There is a plan but the squad changes and Sullivan's injuries hasn't helped the progress.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Beanie for Brain Cancer Round 2021

MEDIA RELEASE

NRL Beanie for Brain Cancer Round 2021​

Author NRL Media Release NRL Media Timestamp Wed 16 Jun 2021, 12:20 PM

Share on social media​

The annual Beanie For Brain Cancer Round will kick-off on Thursday night, with National Rugby League (NRL) clubs, players and fans uniting to raise money for brain cancer research.
The Mark Hughes Foundation (MHF) hopes to raise $3 million during this year’s Beanie for Brain Cancer Round, which will see 272 players, 16 Clubs, thousands of fans and broadcasters Channel Nine and Fox Sports unite.

NRL CEO Andrew Abdo said the Beanie For Brain Cancer Round is an important moment in the season.
“NRL Beanie for Brain Cancer Round is one of our most important rounds – a time when the game gets together for a vital cause,’’ Mr Abdo said. “Every year our supporters, players and clubs respond with powerful generosity.
“We see all the players wearing their beanies in front of packed stadiums, that also feature so many beanies and makes you proud to be involved in rugby league.
“This round is not just about the on-field outcomes – it’s an incredible show of support from all those involved in the game to raise funds for brain cancer research, a disease that kills more children under 10 and adults under 40 than any other disease.”
The NRL’s wagering partner Sportsbet will donate $1000 for every try scored in Beanie for Brain Cancer Round, on top of a $50,000 donation from the purchase of Clive Churchill’s first ever Kangaroos jersey that will sit in the NRL’s Heroes & Legends Museum.
Barni Evans, Chief Executive Officer of Sportsbet, added: “Sportsbet are delighted to continue to support the Mark Hughes Foundation. Since its inception in 2017, we have donated $230,000 to the cause, and we’re only just getting started. Not only that, we are thrilled to be able to assist in another way in 2021, by keeping Clive Churchill’s famous 1948 Kangaroos jersey in the rugby league family.
“Clive Churchill’s name is synonymous with rugby league, he is an Immortal, so for Sportsbet to play a small part in keeping this piece of history within the rugby league community, and make an extra donation to the Mark Hughes Foundation is something we’re extremely proud to do.”

The 2021 Beanie For Brain Cancer Round was launched to coincide with the start of ‘The Big Three’ trek - 30 trekkers walking from NRL Headquarters in Sydney to McDonald Jones Stadium in Newcastle across three days raising funds and awareness for MHF.
Reality stars, journalists and sports personalities across all codes united on the first leg today from NRL HQ to the Sydney Opera House.
“Every single person in the rugby league community has the power to make a difference this week and together we can do anything, even beat this terrible disease,” MHF Founder Mark Hughes said.
“I’m really proud to announce that we are growing the research team that will bring hope to people with brain cancer and their families. We are moving quickly to make sure every dollar gets to where it’s needed.
“It is because of our incredible supporters that this next step is possible and we want to say thank you to everyone that has bought a beanie so far. The success of Beanie for Brain Cancer Round has truly made a difference but the battle has only just begun. We now have better research in place to take on this gruesome opponent - but the final result still weighs on every beanie we sell.”
Round 15 will this year feature matches in seven different locations; Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville, Newcastle, Wollongong, Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast.
In Australia, Brain Cancer kills more children than any other disease and more people under 40 than any other cancer. Supporters are being urged to help raise much needed funds by buying a beanie or donating to the Mark Hughes Foundation. More information is available at markhughesfoundation.com.au.
Beanies will be available from Lowes Australia stores, selected IGA stores and online from the MHF website markhughesfoundation.com.au
Brain Cancer statistics
  • Survival rates have increased by 1% over the last 30 years
  • Kills more children than any other disease
  • Only 2/10 people diagnosed will live more than 5 years
  • Kills more people under 40 than any other cancer
  • Receives less than 5% of federal funding for cancer research
  • One person every 5 hours is diagnosed in Australia

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/06/16/nrl-beanie-for-brain-cancer-round-2021/

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I like them from what I've seen. Worth noting, I was pushing for Ramsey to get a shot for a while and then have gone very cold on that. I just think both of them are worth a shot and it is timely to do it now.

They look confident in first grade, are strong and Matt in particular seemed to be an ever present player on his debut, getting to the contest to compete, and finished nicely. I have not seen much of them in lower grades to be fair, but they are athletic and powerful from first impressions.
I’ve far from written them off, Max looked really good in his couple last year and I really thought with a good off season he’d be pushing for a spot. Bird probably didn’t help as I assume Hook sees him in the forwards but he sees himself in the backs. Anyway time will tell, would love a big tall fast winger like Coates though.

thebigredv

First Grade
My team with the 21.
1. Ramsey
2. Sloan
3. Williame
4. Lomax
5. Ravalawa
6. Amone
7. Hunt
8. Lawrie
9. McCullough
10. Vaughan
11. Sims
12. Bird
13. JDB
14. Clune
15. Kerr
16. Ford
17. Faamasili

When we need someone to quickly drop the ball or give away a dumb penalty we can inject Kerr into the game...

Like williame the last two weeks but id be running with a Feagai or two as we need to.plan for the future. Sloan to FB and Matt Feagai to wing for Ramsey. Was MF in the 21?

No matter how you list it it's hard to see us coming close to canberra given how lacklustre we were on Monday. Haven't used the word lacklustre since Mary days. Another sad weekend methinks.

Crush

Coach
When we need someone to quickly drop the ball or give away a dumb penalty we can inject Kerr into the game...

Like williame the last two weeks but id be running with a Feagai or two as we need to.plan for the future. Sloan to FB and Matt Feagai to wing for Ramsey. Was MF in the 21?

No matter how you list it it's hard to see us coming close to canberra given how lacklustre we were on Monday. Haven't used the word lacklustre since Mary days. Another sad weekend methinks.
Fegai isn’t in 21.
Ramsey is a footballer, give him time.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
5 day turnaround would usually mean a loss. Dufty might come out firing to impress his potential new club. Don't expect much from anyone else though.

Latest posts