What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs Raiders

getsmarty

Immortal

Dragons give unwanted fullback Matt Dufty every chance to overcome shoulder injury for Raiders clash​

Matt Dufty is battling a shoulder injury but could play against Canberra on Saturday according to Dragons coach Anthony Griffin.

Matt Logue

St George Illawarra will give fullback Matt Dufty every chance to play against Canberra on Saturday despite the unwanted flyer battling a shoulder injury.

Dragons coach Anthony Griffin will monitor Dufty at the captain’s run on Friday before deciding if he needs to select another player.
Griffin refused to confirm if Dapto junior Tyrell Sloan would make his NRL debut if Dufty is ruled out.
“I’m not sure about that (Sloan) – we’ll have a look at Matt first and worry about that later,” Griffin said about Sloan, a former NSW under 18s representative.
“He (Matt) has had a shoulder injury that has been troubling him since Magic Round and he got another knock on it late last week, so we’ll have a look at him today.”
Matt Dufty and Corey Norman have both been told they are unwanted at the Dragons beyond this season. Picture: Grant Trouville

Matt Dufty and Corey Norman have both been told they are unwanted at the Dragons beyond this season. Picture: Grant TrouvilleSource:Supplied
Griffin praised Dufty and five-eighth Corey Norman for handling the news that they are unwanted beyond this season with class and professionalism.
“Matt knew three or four weeks ago,” he said.
“It is a sign of respect from our club to be honest with them and let them know where they stand, so they can play well for our club.
“The club has been very good to them, and I know they both understand that, but they can also secure their future somewhere else.”
Griffin expects Dufty and Norman to play crucial roles in the Dragons’ finals push in the coming weeks.
“They are part of our playmaker group and they’ve had some really good games this year,” he said.
“But collectively we need to be better.”
Griffin confirmed centre Zac Lomax is edging closer to a return after dislocating his thumb in round 8, which required surgery.
“No, Zac won’t play, it has just come around too quick,” he said.
“He is progressing really well. He had the operation, and he got the wire and pins out last Tuesday and if it were another four or five days, he would be right, but it is just too quick.
“Long-term we’ll make sure that we look after him and he’ll be ready for our game in two weeks.”

getsmarty

Immortal

Dragons to boost forward pack in overhaul​

• Pamela Whaley​

National Sport

Anthony Griffin (r) is keen to boost St George Illawarra's forward pack for next season.

Anthony Griffin (r) is keen to boost St George Illawarra's forward pack for next season.

Cash freed up from the departures of Corey Norman and Matt Dufty will be invested in St George Illawarra's forward pack amid a roster clean out of the battling NRL side.
Both Dufty and Norman have been told they won't be re-signed by the club at the end of the season with coach Anthony Griffin saying it was a sign of respect to be honest with the backline stars.
Since Griffin joined the Dragons at the start of the season, he has begun overhauling the roster.
He said on Friday he would continue to do so.

"We'll continue to try and build our forward pack over the next six months," he said ahead of Saturday's clash with Canberra.
"At the moment we're just dealing with what we've got to deal with in sorting out our list. The forward pack has always been our focus.
"At the moment we've got (Junior) Amone and (Jayden) Sullivan who are in our system, both have been elite halves in the juniors and lower grades.
"Jack Bird can play in the halves as well so we're well covered there."
Gerard Beale, Andrew McCullough and Josh McGuire have all joined the club under Griffin's reign, while Dufty, Norman and Cameron McInnes are on the way out at the end of the season.
After two wins from their past nine games, it's crucial the Dragons get their roster overhaul right with Griffin outlining the type of players he wants at the club.
"The simple things. Players who want to play for the team, their talent," he said.
"It's a funny thing building a list and roster management ... not just with our club but in other clubs, it's always a moving piece.
"I'm really happy with where we're heading at the moment."
News of Norman's future broke during last week's shock loss to Canterbury, leading to speculation the tough conversations had taken a toll on the playing group.
But Griffin said it was in the best interest of Norman and Dufty to play well over the last 10 games of the season.
"It's a sign of respect from our club to be honest with them and let them know where they stand so they can play well for our club, the club has been good to them in the time they're been here," Griffin said.
"Obviously they can play well to try and secure their future elsewhere.
"That all ties in together.
"If they don't play well individually it doesn't help them but also as a club we have a lot of respect for our players and I'm sure they'll repay that."
Meanwhile, Dufty is in doubt to play on Saturday with a shoulder injury while Zac Lomax is aiming for a return against Manly in round 18.

getsmarty

Immortal

Gallery: Score Dragons captain's run​

The Score Dragons held their Captain's Run ahead of their match against the Score Raiders at WIN Stadium on Saturday. Zac Lomax, MIkaele Ravalawa, Jackson Ford, Tyrell Sloan and Junior Amone also came along to help out.

getsmarty

Immortal
24-hour warning: i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round v Raiders

TEAM LISTS
Updated

Presented By TripADeal

24-hour warning: i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round v Raiders​

Author Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au Timestamp Fri 18 Jun 2021, 05:31 PM

Share on social media​

St George Illawarra coach Anthony Griffin has amended his squad ahead of the Dragons' i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round clash against the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Saturday, June 19 (5:30pm).

Zac Lomax (thumb) will remain on the shelf for another week after being excluded from Tuesday's 21-man squad. Talatau Amone is the other odd man out - Adam Clune replaces him on the interchange.
The Dragons will raise much needed funds for families in need as part of the club's fundraising efforts for the i98FM Illawarra Convoy and Illawarra Community Foundation.
$3 from every ticket sold will be donated to the i98FM Illawarra Convoy, the largest truck convoy in the southern hemisphere, and one of the largest regional one-day fundraising events in Australia.
The Score Dragons will excitingly act as a curtain-raiser to the NRL as they take on Score Raiders from 4:45pm. The Knock On Effect Cup Dragons will precede them at 3:05pm.
The Dragons, alongside the NRL, will also take part in Beanies for Brain Cancer Round this weekend. You can buy a beanie here.

Updated squad for Round 15 v Canberra Raiders –​

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Cody Ramsey– sponsored by Aspec Masonry
3. Brayden Wiliame– sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
4. Gerard Beale – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Carinya Village – Jindabyne
7. Ben Hunt (c) – sponsored by Narellan Pools Illawarra
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Gym Solutions
9. Andrew McCullough – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox and Jones
11. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Jack Bird – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
13. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TLE Alexandria
Interchange:
15. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Sneaky Burger
16. Daniel Alvaro – sponsored by Manna from Heaven
17. Jack de Belin – sponsored by TripADeal
18. Adam Clune – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
19. Poasa Faamausili
20. Tyrell Sloan

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2021/06/15/nrl-team-announcement-round-15-v-raiders/

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I'm sure it does happen, But I'd like to think it is a small minority.
Even those on lesser contracts are doing better than a lot of others who are making coffee, digging holes, cleaning toilets etc. These types would be better worrying about their own game & trying to improve in order to get a better contract. Maybe Hook is in the initial stages of cleaning them out & attempting to change the mindset of some.
I agree with you Im not condoning it..... and your 100% correct, most of these blokes that play NRL are far better off than blokes that work hard and long hours to feed their families or just to survive week in week out....for to long some of these blokes that play footy and get extraordinary amounts to play the game are coasting...and hopefully your right that Hook will change the attitude of some in the future or move them on

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Posted earlier in the year that i thought for us to be chance Kerr and Lawrie have to go to another level. They were doing this early in the first few rounds, but fallen off since, and haven’t really put their marks on the games for a while now. Our problems lie in the forwards IMO, not the halves; not dominant enough.

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Posted earlier in the year that i thought for us to be chance Kerr and Lawrie have to go to another level. They were early first few rounds but fallen off since, and haven’t put their marks on the games for a while. Our problems lie in the forwards, IMO, not the halves; not dominant enough.
Lawrie has had a go like he always does, he’s just limited in ability but Kerr has been disappointing.

Latest posts