What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 15 vs. South Sydney Rabbitohs

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. South Sydney Rabbitohs
Suncorp Stadium, Thursday 17 June 2021
Kick Off: 7:50pm

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Xavier Coates 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Jesse Arthars 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Karmichael Hunt 7. Tyson Gamble 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Thomas Flegler

Interchange: 14. Kobe Hetherington 15. John Asiata 16. Keenan Palasia 17. TC Robati

Reserves: 18. Cory Paix 19. Jordan Riki 20. Rhys Kennedy 21. Dale Copley​

SOUTHSYDNEY-2021.png

1. Latrell Mitchell 2. Alex Johnston 3. Dane Gagai 4. Campbell Graham 5. Taane Milne 6. Cody Walker 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Mark Nicholls 9. Damien Cook 10. Tevita Tatola 11. Keaon Koloamatangi 12. Jai Arrow 13. Cameron Murray

Interchange: 14. Braidon Burns 15. Hame Sele 16. Thomas Burgess 17. Jacob Host

Reserves: 18. Blake Taaffe 19. Liam Knight 20. Josh Mansour 21. Jaydn Su'A​

Big Pete

Referee
Only a couple of changes from last week's disappointing loss against the Canberra Raiders. Xavier Coates returns after he suffered a hamstring twinge in the warm-up, while Palasia rejoins the bench after being omitted for Cory Paix.

Walters has resisted the temptation to go with Farnworth at fullback and is willing to back Niu who looked the most likely of all the Broncos against the Raiders.

Karmichael Hunt also remains in the team and it will be his first home game since the St. George Illawarra Semi from 2009.

I get the sense that Walters is making minimal changes and just waiting for Round 16 when the Broncos will be coming off a week off to make any big changes. After the Seagulls game it was a little surprising to see Oates' omitted from the teamlist, but I'd imagine the short turn-around played a factor. I watched the game on Sunday and while Oates played well, it wasn't like he was in everything.

Interestingly Palasia has been named despite playing the Sunday game. I would not be surprised at all if he was a late omission with either Kennedy or Paix to come in.

For the Broncos it's the same old story. They were too soft against the Raiders and letting them run for 60 odd metres on the opening set was deplorable. They were never in that contest and it was really just dumb luck they only found themselves down by two converted tries on half-time. If they go in with the same performance against the Rabbitohs it will be much like their last meeting where it took Brisbane far too long to get into the game. Run hard, tackle hard, hold the football and do it for 80 minutes - that should be the gameplan.

Showtime

Juniors
Happy to see Niu given another opportunity to play fullback after his performance on the weekend. I’d like to see Oates get a start on the wing, his work coming out of our own half is invaluable and despite his exit clause he’s actually going to be here next year whereas Coates isn’t, i dont need to see anymore from him.

I don’t live in QLD anymore so I’m not in the loop but who’s the best fullback prospect, Niu, Farnworth or Cobbo?

blaza88z

Coach
Souths are one of the beatable top 4-5 teams in the comp, they rely heavily on that edge for points and there have been a few games this year against teams that probably won't even make the 8 where they've looked gone

If we hold the ball and restrict where they get their ball, we could make them earn it because I do think if you look through the forwards, we will have no issue getting into their red zone. But if we hand it over in our half and give them 6 tackles to line up that edge, it's going to be a long night

blaza88z

Coach
Happy to see Niu given another opportunity to play fullback after his performance on the weekend. I’d like to see Oates get a start on the wing, his work coming out of our own half is invaluable and despite his exit clause he’s actually going to be here next year whereas Coates isn’t, i dont need to see anymore from him.

I don’t live in QLD anymore so I’m not in the loop but who’s the best fullback prospect, Niu, Farnworth or Cobbo?

Cobbo for sure but he's still only a kid.

Farnworth is a bit dodgy under the high one, Niu looks to have some real quality in attack but we've seen that before, probably need to see him show something defensively

Nerd

Bench
What's to say. Just outclassed by a way more experienced side. I lost count of how many times we turned the ball over on the 1st tackle. One was a strip, one was the runner dragged back near on 10 m back over our try line, one was into touch on the first tackle. We looked like kids playing against men there at times.

One thing I have started to notice with Haas is that he lets quite a few tries in near our posts as he seems to go for the grab instead of putting his body on the line and going for heavy body contact. Saying that he is still far and away our best forward with the ball.

Big Pete

Referee
I actually thought they showed some improvement over last week. I thought they competed in the opening 20 but once they lost Cobbo it just became too tough for them. Once again, I don't think they received too much luck with the officials. Turpin ruled to have knocked on when Koloamatangi was all over the ruck. Last week Hodgson obviously milks one and gets the penalty, this time Turpin tries his best to get around a forward and knocks on making a genuine attempt. 3 infringements in a row to gift them the opening points, I find it difficult to understand why some of those are infringements and why others aren't. Arthars cops a knee but it's ruled accidental, meanwhile CHN trips into Kobe Hetherington and somehow he gets sent off the field. Meanwhile CHN continues to play on, but Brisbane receive nothing? Reynolds comes off for a suspect HIA right as the Broncos have a 20m restart and Souths back-peddling. Mitchell loses the ball twice, but somehow Souths regain possession. Cobbo and Pangai are driven back 10m and the official never thinks to call held with the second being incredulous.

Don't get me wrong for a second, the officials didn't lose Brisbane the game but it's hard to gauge an accurate assessment when so much is going against one team.

Strangely the 46-0 loss took a back-seat to all the Pangai Jr news. I really don't know what to make of that move especially since Pangai Jr has been one of the few shining lights. I do think long term it maybe in the Broncos best interest because it just seems like a matter of time before Pangai Jr has a stint on the sidelines, but I don't see how Su'A fixes the situation either.

It really does seem like the club somehow manages to hit another low.

I actually thought they showed some improvement over last week. I thought they competed in the opening 20 but once they lost Cobbo it just became too tough for them. Once again, I don't think they received too much luck with the officials. Turpin ruled to have knocked on when Koloamatangi was all over the ruck. Last week Hodgson obviously milks one and gets the penalty, this time Turpin tries his best to get around a forward and knocks on making a genuine attempt. 3 infringements in a row to gift them the opening points, I find it difficult to understand why some of those are infringements and why others aren't. Arthars cops a knee but it's ruled accidental, meanwhile CHN trips into Kobe Hetherington and somehow he gets sent off the field. Meanwhile CHN continues to play on, but Brisbane receive nothing? Reynolds comes off for a suspect HIA right as the Broncos have a 20m restart and Souths back-peddling. Mitchell loses the ball twice, but somehow Souths regain possession. Cobbo and Pangai are driven back 10m and the official never thinks to call held with the second being incredulous.

Don't get me wrong for a second, the officials didn't lose Brisbane the game but it's hard to gauge an accurate assessment when so much is going against one team.

Strangely the 46-0 loss took a back-seat to all the Pangai Jr news. I really don't know what to make of that move especially since Pangai Jr has been one of the few shining lights. I do think long term it maybe in the Broncos best interest because it just seems like a matter of time before Pangai Jr has a stint on the sidelines, but I don't see how Su'A fixes the situation either.

It really does seem like the club somehow manages to hit another low.
Players aren’t responding to Kevvie. At least he’s brutally honest. I respect him for that.

renouf

Juniors
I go back to the decision to let McCollough go at the start of the season, in a year which was always going to be tough, they let him go,.. like wtf? Who cares if he wanted 3 years, they should have just sorted it out, they've managed to f**k up everything else.

Latest posts