What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs. Cronulla Sharks Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Cronulla Sharks
Suncorp Stadium, Sunday July 4 2021
Kick Off: 2:00pm

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Kotoni Staggs 5. Corey Oates 6. Tyson Gamble 7. Brodie Croft 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. TC Robati 13. Thomas Flegler

Interchange: 14. Cory Paix 15. Kobe Hetherington 16. Keenan Palasia 17. Jesse Arthars

Reserves: 18. Jordan Riki 19. Rhys Kennedy 20. David Mead 21. Anthony Milford​

CRONULLA-2021.png

1. Will Kennedy 2. Connor Tracey 3. Will Chambers 4. Jesse Ramien 5. Ronaldo Mulitalo 6. Matt Moylan 7. Shaun Johnson 8. Aiden Tolman 9. Blayke Brailey 10. Aaron Woods 11. Briton Nikora 12. Siosifa Talakai 13. Toby Rudolf

Interchange: 14. Braydon Trindall 15. Teig Wilton 16. Jack Williams 17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

Reserves: 18. Billy Magoulias 19. Sione Katoa 20. Andrew Fifita 21. Mawene Hiroti​

Big Pete

Referee
Following the Sydney Roosters game I would have considered this the most winnable game of all the upcoming matches, but following everything that's happened since it's going to be tough for the Broncos to break their duck. Cronulla have been going from strength to strength and while they had flat spots in their matches, they have points in them. Meanwhile Brisbane have just been battered from pillar to post and at one stage it appeared there was going to be a full-scale mutiny.

That appears to have settled for the time being, although it seems inevitable that Pangai Jr will leave the club in the next 6 months or so. It's a frustrating situation because he's one of the few strike players the Broncos have and he was one of the few match winners they've had since 2018. However, his discipline has constantly let him down, he lacks consistensy and when he's off he's a hindrance to the entire team. With that said, he's a loss for the Broncos who really need all hands on deck as the season winds down.

Fortunately they do welcome back Kotoni Staggs after he successfully recovered from his ACL rupture. He'll be a handy inclusion, but I'm not expecting miracles right away. Even at his peak, Staggs had some glaring flaws in his game and I'm not expecting any serious form from him till the final few rounds of the season. I just hope he can get through these games and build some confidence heading to 2022.

Isaako, Oates, Croft return with Arthars on the bench. I guess this is an opportunity for all three men to make a case for themselves heading into 2022 and Arthars is there for cover. I think all three players deserved to be dropped but with the contracts the way they are they have time on their side. Oates' form in QCup has been deserving of a recall while Isaako has had a couple of weeks to regroup and show whether he has a future as a winger. I think whoever plays better on the weekend will keep their spot with Coates coming in.

9 more games to go. Brisbane have to try and take something out of this period that they can use heading into 2022.

Reactions: gUt

DeeJ

Bench
I hope we choose another forward on the bench instead of Arthars on game day. Additionally, why is Isaako in the side above Mead? Mead has barely put a foot wrong since coming back while Isaako essentially gives the opposition a chance to win everytime he plays.

gUt

Coach
Yeah I've been baffled by Mead being in and out of the side all season. I've been really happy with how he's gone in this dogshit team in a dogshit season so I'm obviously missing something.

Anyway for some reason I'm tipping us this week lol

Big Pete

Referee
Lodge (released) and Flegler (concussion) have been ruled out.

Flegler was another training casualty following injuries to Karmichael Hunt, Brendan Piakura, Albert Kelly and Ben Te'o earlier in the week. Flegler suffered a head clash with TC Robati ruling him out.

Rhys Kennedy and Ethan Bullemor will come into the side while rookie Xavier Willison has been named as a reserve. Willison is a quality young New Zealand prospect who is a couple of years away from regular first grade but he has impressive size and he forced his way into the Norths Devils QCup team following impressing performances at Colts.

Also worth pointing out that when Kotoni Staggs makes his way onto the field, he will become the 34th player the Broncos have used which will be the most amount of players the Broncos have used in one season. Previously the Broncos had used 33 players in 2002 and 2004. I expect that figure to rise with Piakura to get game-time. I would also not be shocked to see Ezra Mam or Isaiah Tass receive a call-up.

Nerd

Bench
Great to get a win for a change. Thought our young forwards stood up and really had their best game of the year. Kennedy and Bullemore went well and really covered the hole left by Lodge but without the silly penalties or dropped ball. Niu looks better every week but really needs to get to those high balls. Oates put in the effort but is really struggling to show that he is still an NRL standard player. The return of Staggs was huge and his presence draws defenders off the other players around him.

Haas was easily our best player in a team full of good players and that effort to chase down the field at the end and prevent a try was just outstanding. I also saw something from Haas that has been lacking in his game and that was him crunching someone in a tackle which was great to see.

Big Pete

Referee
The return of Staggs gave the Broncos some much needed direction with the football. It seemed like one of the keys was to give him good ball which suited the Broncos especially Niu who has the best passing game of any player at the club.

Haas was superb through the middle and I thought the bench stood up. Going into the game, that seemed like it was going to be an advantage for Cronulla but Palasia especially proved a real handful in that loose forward role.

Still a couple of dicey moments in the game, Tracey should have never been allowed to score those tries but thankfully Niu was able to get one back on them after that brilliant cover effort from Gamble. I thought the game was made up of moments like that where it could have gone either way, but Brisbane typically won those contests.

It was a good response especially after the 46-0 loss against the Rabbitohs where it appeared the club had well and truly bottomed out.

Latest posts