What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Titans

SGMax

Juniors
Right on , what are they waiting for , are they waiting to see how Young turns out , this thing about looking after ex players , the boy's club and retirement village for players at the end of their career's needs to stop now ......

I suspect they are waiting on Bennett.
He doesn't want to derail South's season by announcing his move to the Dragons until after the finals. Do I sound like Possm?
I really think this might eventuate as Wayne wants to keep going a few more years.

Dragon David

First Grade
It's amazing isn't it.?! The Sharks home games are at Netstrata Jubilee and killing the Cowboys so far tonight. We have the same ground and do bugger all.

denis preston

First Grade
I thought that Blake tried hard last night but boy o boy he got way too much ball a la Gallen. Unless he can ( or allowed ? ) to do some offloads, it IMHO really stifles our attack.

Ok so we got beaten but truth be known it revealed to me that:

* Young is not a fg coach and needs to get out of STI to gain some proper assistant experience.

* one, or both of Hunt and/or Norman need to go. Hunt is playing like a spoilt brat who's thrown the toys out of the crib because he's not the #7. Norman is a ballarina most times.

* we need to replace Merrin asap.

* time now to bring in some youngsters for a taste of the big time.

There is obviously a problem at training as well which, I believe, stems from the 'mates' attitude by the previous coach.
Does anyone at St. George even bother about our coach's credentials?
McGregor was plucked from obscurity with no FG experience, even as an assistant.
Dean Young is even worse.
No apprenticeship except under the worst coach in the history of the club.
No FG experience and no other credentials to speak of.
Loved Dean Young as a player but both he and McGregor have never been qualified to coach FG.
Pretending that the last weeks of the 2020 are Dean's rehearsal for the big dance is sheer fantasy.
What a waste of 8 years.
The decision makers should hang their heads in shame.
McGregor's legacy lives on with Dean in charge.
The only difference is the press conferences are at least more honest and not riddled with excuses.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
McGregor was plucked from obscurity with no FG experience, even as an assistant.
Loved Dean Young as a player but both he and McGregor have never been qualified to coach FG.
Pretending that the last weeks of the 2020 are Dean's rehearsal for the big dance is sheer fantasy.
What a waste of 8 years.
The only difference is the press conferences are at least more honest and not riddled with excuses.
They don’t.

And your rationale provides a pretty damning dossier for St George’s run with coach selection.

Time for them to step aside and let the professional side of the JV look after the running of things.

Mjab

Juniors
What a waste of 8 years.
Spot on

denis preston

First Grade
I’m not a Lawrie fan TBH
If you can’t give someone the ball because they stifle the attack , doesn’t That mean replace him with someone who won’t?
Kerr more minutes, Second phase play, halves more involved, forwards that actually stick their noses out waiting for support for starters.

Kerr more minutes, Second phase play, halves more involved, forwards that actually stick their noses out waiting for support for starters.
Regardless of who is coaching, the team/squad is mediocre at best and has no chance of winning a premiership in this or any other year. Sure a decent coach might get them into the top eight but nothing more. Young talent has not been promoted, too much money spent for so called top players who are not performing. At this stage of the season, why not blood young talent, there is nothing to lose. It is obvious the team is no good, they squeak home against the Bronco's, who were beaten by fifty points by the Roosters - enough said.

hazzbeen

Bench
I suspect they are waiting on Bennett.
He doesn't want to derail South's season by announcing his move to the Dragons until after the finals. Do I sound like Possm?
I really think this might eventuate as Wayne wants to keep going a few more years.
Mate as I have said before Im not sold on Bennett coming here again ..... Like you say he wants to keep going a few more year then retire .... We need a fresh start , new coach , new ideas , Lets stop hiring ex players , coaches and players at the end of their careers ...... 2010 Premiership and Bennett are history now ..... We need a new beginning ..... Anyway thats just my thoughts on it .......

denis preston

First Grade
Naming and shaming players.....another trait learnt from the slippery Teflon

Particularly as Host has been a shining light and Hunt hasn't been our worst player. At least he seemed like he has a plan but the real test is he prepared to also drop bad performers like Norman & Merrin ?

i would love to see Blacker & three of the young backs given a go for the rest of the year but like Mcwrecker, he feels he is auditioning for the main role so it will be very conservative team selections for the rest of the year. I hope the CEO or board tap Dean on the shoulder and "suggest " youth is the way to go for the rest of the year.

They don’t.

And your rationale provides a pretty damning dossier for St George’s run with coach selection.

Time for them to step aside and let the professional side of the JV look after the running of things.
LOL very funny Mus.
Considering McGregor was anointed by the Illawarra faction, your assertion is misguided..
The same geniuses that appointed him, kept flogging that dead horse for nearly seven years - including 2 dubious extensions.
Congratulations on yet another nonsensical post with no substance or credibility.

Dragon David

First Grade
Mate as I have said before Im not sold on Bennett coming here again ..... Like you say he wants to keep going a few more year then retire .... We need a fresh start , new coach , new ideas , Lets stop hiring ex players , coaches and players at the end of their careers ...... 2010 Premiership and Bennett are history now ..... We need a new beginning ..... Anyway thats just my thoughts on it .......

I think that it is Jason Demetriou and not Bennett who is ensuring the Bunnies play as well as they are at the moment. His coaching days have been extremely good at the Northern Pride, Illawarra Cutters, Brisbane and now Souths. His attacking ideas are great. He should have been our coach instead of Mary.

The thing about Bennett is that after he leaves a club, that club ends up in a worse position.

I think that it is Jason Demetriou and not Bennett who is ensuring the Bunnies play as well as they are at the moment. His coaching days have been extremely good at the Northern Pride, Illawarra Cutters, Brisbane and now Souths. His attacking ideas are great. He should have been our coach instead of Mary.

The thing about Bennett is that after he leaves a club, that club ends up in a worse position.
We had the perfect FG coaching solution under our noses and we let him go in favour of McGregor.
Sheer incompetence.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
i simply cannot get over the lame tepid lifeless performance at home, against a team who had less reason to win. Put plainly, there was absolutely no plan B, The Titans defence was single minded and could have been broken easily by a clever opportunistic half or 5/8, but they did more and more of the same shit that clearly was not working for them on the night. An indictment on the on field leadership, the coach and the rest of the players who were wearing what used to be a proud jersey. I shook my head at the senseless selection of Brittain and it just got worse from there. Young went way down in my estimations this week.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Conceding two tries in the last five minutes after dominating possession for most of the match. This was a team that were not mentally switched on, and obviously unable to play for the full 80.

You can take the coach away but the habit of losing is alive and well.

Old Timer

Coach
Conceding two tries in the last five minutes after dominating possession for most of the match. This was a team that were not mentally switched on, and obviously unable to play for the full 80.

You can take the coach away but the habit of losing is alive and well.
Titans & Warriors both showed marked improvement even in their losses quickly after a new coach sat in the chair because the message was different.

I am not sure that DY’s message is in fact any different to Mc Fookknuckle’s because it is apparent that the new coach’s desire and thought process re applying mathematics to that desire was exactly the same as before.

The notion we had a chance of making the semis was predicated on completely false hope rather than practical knowledge which said it was all pie in the sky stuff.

If the message of false hope without change still exists then that is all on the coach’s head.

Latest posts