What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Warriors

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Interesting reading the comments on this game.

For me the win wasn't about just the win, or even the 2 points, it was a win that has seen a defined shift in our culture as a team. In years past the Warriors (and the Raiders game) would have run away with the game, probably winning by 30+. However, for 3 games now, we have shown a resiliance that we haven't seen for many, many years.

Yes, it was ugly.
Yes, it wasn't the form of a top 4, and arguably, a top 8 team.

But, as the saying goes, you can only beat what is put infront of you.

Yes, we should have beaten the Dogs and the Tigers, however, this is the unfortunate aspect of transition. Ingrained sense of entitlement rather than team, was always encouraged by our previous regime. Roadbumps happen, they were just examples of it, and c m be seen in comparing our games against the Eels and Dogs. I'm sure these bumps will continue for the rest of the season. Be prepared.

Fantastic win for our striving culture change
Great win for the 2 points
Good win for the team

TruSaint

Referee
I must be getting soft in old age, but I actually felt some sympathy for Norman in his post game interview.

The field goal was more relief for him it seems, rather than elation.

He has copped a fair bagging and rightly so for some of his performances, and all the media hype about not being wanted would take its toll. So, well done Corey.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I really enjoyed the win as I didn't think that we could come from behind again but they proved me wrong so I can tell that the players have more belief in themselves to fight and have composure. This will help them in future games, but I'd rather see them leading and maintaining that lead in games.

Both teams were guilty of making errors and poor defensive reads. Luck was on our side last night, but I am a bit concerned on the tackles made by JDB which were put on report. If he gets charged, I hope that it only will result in a short suspension.

We have a bye next round so this will help with any bumps and bruises and the players come back against Manly invigorated.
A well-balanced assessment DD. I guess in all games there are aspects we can control and, to some extent at least, some we can't. Referees and other match officials fall into the latter category. The inconsistency surrounding the policing and definition of dangerous tackles is top of the list of course but I get frustrated week in, week out by the non-enforcement of the 10 metres. Now that we have the one referee, it all seems to be all about play the ball infringements -including ridiculously insignificant issues such as putting the ball on the ground before you play it. That came into play with Norman last night looking bemused by the "speed" that the Warriors players got into his face for a field goal attempt. But it happens every week- someone puts in a good kick pinning the defending team and they are unable to make any ground out of their end zone because they are suffocated by a rushing defence-very often blatantly in front of the referee and he tolerates it- almost like they're getting a reward for the good kick.

I used to be a Rugby supporter as well as following League- apart from the tedious scrum resets, one of the reasons I've given up on Rugby is the non-enforcement of what they politely call "fringeing"- actually being in front of the last feet at the breakdown. A fat props pick up the ball and lunges forward one metre and promptly get squashed by two opposing fat props. This can continue ad nauseam and Rugby enthusiasts call these lunges a "phase". Very often teams accumulate twenty to thirty "phases" like this and commentators are beside themselves at this ball in hand artistry.

While League hasn't sunk to these depths - yet - the 10 metre rule, imo, is far more important than minor play the ball infringements and yet it's not being refereed that way- sometimes not at all- like last night. Sometimes it's policed in the first half and then the ref drops off in the second because someone whispers in their ear that there's been too many penalties. Blind, mute touch judges are a huge part of the problem- not only ignoring teams off side but teams getting a jump on the opposition during restarts and the resultant aerial contests for the ball.

Here endeth the gripe for today.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He seems to have errors in his game of late.

Maybe frustration or trying too hard
I think its the latter.....from the centres to the forwards and also weve had some disruptions in the backline combinations through injuries and suspensions.....but your right he does have a few errors in his game btbh they've basically been there from the day hes been back with us.....having said that I love his enthusiasm and will to win

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He seems to have errors in his game of late. Maybe frustration or trying too hard.
Think its the latter.....having been out for so long through those wretched injuries I just think hes trying to make up for lost time....I agree there are errors in his game btbh they've been there from day one....however I love his enthusiasm and will to win.....hes also had a shift from centre to forwards and a few backline combination disruptions with suspensions and injuries

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
We saw tonight Ramsay's best. assett. His speed in open spaces. He struggles a little with hit ups because of his size. At least he does them though so I'm more than happy with his contribution.
Yes- I've felt he looked anxious and was trying too hard to impress in past outings but at least we have a player who is desperate to be there and is prepared to put his body on the line. A welcome contrast to the "bludging on the blindside" Norman (not so much now as he is playing for a contract). Cody gets my vote for courage and enthusiasm alone.

Dragon David

First Grade
A well-balanced assessment DD. I guess in all games there are aspects we can control and, to some extent at least, some we can't. Referees and other match officials fall into the latter category. The inconsistency surrounding the policing and definition of dangerous tackles is top of the list of course but I get frustrated week in, week out by the non-enforcement of the 10 metres. Now that we have the one referee, it all seems to be all about play the ball infringements -including ridiculously insignificant issues such as putting the ball on the ground before you play it. That came into play with Norman last night looking bemused by the "speed" that the Warriors players got into his face for a field goal attempt. But it happens every week- someone puts in a good kick pinning the defending team and they are unable to make any ground out of their end zone because they are suffocated by a rushing defence-very often blatantly in front of the referee and he tolerates it- almost like they're getting a reward for the good kick.

I used to be a Rugby supporter as well as following League- apart from the tedious scrum resets, one of the reasons I've given up on Rugby is the non-enforcement of what they politely call "fringeing"- actually being in front of the last feet at the breakdown. A fat props pick up the ball and lunges forward one metre and promptly get squashed by two opposing fat props. This can continue ad nauseam and Rugby enthusiasts call these lunges a "phase". Very often teams accumulate twenty to thirty "phases" like this and commentators are beside themselves at this ball in hand artistry.

While League hasn't sunk to these depths - yet - the 10 metre rule, imo, is far more important than minor play the ball infringements and yet it's not being refereed that way- sometimes not at all- like last night. Sometimes it's policed in the first half and then the ref drops off in the second because someone whispers in their ear that there's been too many penalties. Blind, mute touch judges are a huge part of the problem- not only ignoring teams off side but teams getting a jump on the opposition during restarts and the resultant aerial contests for the ball.

Here endeth the gripe for today.
I wonder why the linesmen/women don't have any say in the 10 metre rule? Like most of us, the refs only have 1 set of eyes and they have quite of work to do on the field, counting tackles, checking everything in general etc. It would be easy for the lines people to tell the ref if one or more of the defenders is/are offside, just like forward passes and indiscretions in back play etc.

When there are crowds watching, they tend to let the refs know when the defending team are off side. I'm just saying why can't the lines people do the same?

Crush

Coach
I must be getting soft in old age, but I actually felt some sympathy for Norman in his post game interview.

The field goal was more relief for him it seems, rather than elation.

He has copped a fair bagging and rightly so for some of his performances, and all the media hype about not being wanted would take its toll. So, well done Corey.
Yes, well done Corey.
Now take the rest of the season off and all the best in your future endeavours.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Talking Turboless Manly.
Looks like our 7, 9 and 12 would have to back up from origin 2 days later as well which they may not be able to either. Now that Melb are protecting their star hooker from playing a dead rubber...I reckon Parra will do the same with Mahoney
Keeping em on ice for the big run into the finals
I was bloody hoping Grant would play, I’d even go and give him a leg rub. I know my missus would.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I wonder why the linesmen/women don't have any say in the 10 metre rule? Like most of us, the refs only have 1 set of eyes and they have quite of work to do on the field, counting tackles, checking everything in general etc. It would be easy for the lines people to tell the ref if one or more of the defenders is/are offside, just like forward passes and indiscretions in back play etc.

When there are crowds watching, they tend to let the refs know when the defending team are off side. I'm just saying why can't the lines people do the same?
Since the six again came in , there's been a bit of a drop off in the constant booing from supporters of the home team while in possession- maybe because they won't hear the bell for that very six again?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Geez Saints need Lomax back asap especially for his goalkicking. That is what made the difference yesterday as Saints should not have had to get to golden point if Norman kicked the goal close to the post early in the game. The ones out wide, fair enough but he had a pretty simple one early that missed and came back to bite them.

It was a good win but very frustrating as there were some pretty poor errors in that game. Saints started so well only to let in a couple of really soft tries close to the line. Norman was to blame for one as he went the same way as the other marker instead of splitting which made the gap for Egan to score. Norman is rock and diamonds but mostly rocks. I don't get the selection of him as he had a really poor game apart from the FG.

Hunt and Vaughn were my stand outs. One of the best in a while for Vaughn. Jack De Belin is also getting to his best which is great to see. Those 2 charges are pretty soft but the red v jersey may land him in trouble unfortunately.

If Saints play like that against Manly I think they may get punished.

How sad is it that if not for the losses against the Dogs and Tigers, Saints would be comfortable in the 8 with a couple of wins to secure top 8. They have themselves to blame for their poor attitude in those games. Good thing is, if they make the 8 on the back of wins against top 8 sides, it will make them better for it and give them more confidence rather than making the 8 on the back of wins over just the bottom 8 sides. This will make them really step up as their seasons will be on the line. It will be a good couple of months ahead and will really highlight whether Hook has made the right calls in terms of the roster for next season.

denis preston

First Grade
Had a look again at the last 15 mins, how did the Warriors lose this ? The period between 15 mins to go until fulltime.
* Kerr just looks at a bad dummy half ball from McGuire and doesn't fall on it.
* Dufty makes a break stays near the sideline and doesn't even look that he has a dummy half.
* McGuire hits Fonuna Blake high but it doesn't get called ( these slaps were 2 weeks ago )
* Kerr gets caught with ball on the line .

If any of us whinge about a close loss this year just remember this game. We are still making schoolboy errors . I'll admit we really were playing tight percentage football in the first 30 minutes but we didn't take advantage with Kerr's ( there's that man again ! ) dropped ball over the line the only time we threatened them apart from Hunt's try.

jeffdragon

Bench
Had a look again at the last 15 mins, how did the Warriors lose this ? The period between 15 mins to go until fulltime.
* Kerr just looks at a bad dummy half ball from McGuire and doesn't fall on it.
* Dufty makes a break stays near the sideline and doesn't even look that he has a dummy half.
* McGuire hits Fonuna Blake high but it doesn't get called ( these slaps were 2 weeks ago )
* Kerr gets caught with ball on the line .

If any of us whinge about a close loss this year just remember this game. We are still making schoolboy errors . I'll admit we really were playing tight percentage football in the first 30 minutes but we didn't take advantage with Kerr's ( there's that man again ! ) dropped ball over the line the only time we threatened them apart from Hunt's try.
Wish Kerr used his size for once.

BLM01

First Grade
Could last nights win be a season changing moment? The players would all know that they shouldn’t have won that game but to wake up with the 2 points and bye to come it may just click them into gear.
If only Hook makes a couple of slight team list changes(we know what they are) and with Lomax coming back could we be the team the top teams don’t want to meet coming into finals?
It’s nice to dream isn’t it?
Thinking like you I thought the come back from the Raiders was a season defining moment
Hook wont make any unforced chnages as he believes it is his strongest side ATM
Sullivan not fit ATM and Amone not ready for the tough road ahead at 6 against all sides that have to ramp it up after origin.
Rava and Zac will come in for Beale or Williame or Bird to edge and Billy out