What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 16 vs Warriors

since77

Juniors
Interesting reading the comments on this game.

For me the win wasn't about just the win, or even the 2 points, it was a win that has seen a defined shift in our culture as a team. In years past the Warriors (and the Raiders game) would have run away with the game, probably winning by 30+. However, for 3 games now, we have shown a resiliance that we haven't seen for many, many years.

Yes, it was ugly.
Yes, it wasn't the form of a top 4, and arguably, a top 8 team.

But, as the saying goes, you can only beat what is put infront of you.

Yes, we should have beaten the Dogs and the Tigers, however, this is the unfortunate aspect of transition. Ingrained sense of entitlement rather than team, was always encouraged by our previous regime. Roadbumps happen, they were just examples of it, and c m be seen in comparing our games against the Eels and Dogs. I'm sure these bumps will continue for the rest of the season. Be prepared.

Fantastic win for our striving culture change
Great win for the 2 points
Good win for the team
You said everything I was thinking

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I watched last nights game screaming at the tv because Hunt and Norman would always turn the ball back into the middle. The Warriors have a bigger forward pack than we do, so I would have assumed the game plan would have been to move them around. It wasn't until late in the game when we targeted their outside backs and the result was 3 tries.

Listening to Hook at the press conference, made me more concerned when he said we keep trying to go around them, rather than through them. I known you need to go through the middle first, but we didn't attack the edges and wide out much until the end of the game,

BLM01

First Grade
Had a look again at the last 15 mins, how did the Warriors lose this ? The period between 15 mins to go until fulltime.
* Kerr just looks at a bad dummy half ball from McGuire and doesn't fall on it.
* Dufty makes a break stays near the sideline and doesn't even look that he has a dummy half.
* McGuire hits Fonuna Blake high but it doesn't get called ( these slaps were 2 weeks ago )
* Kerr gets caught with ball on the line .

If any of us whinge about a close loss this year just remember this game. We are still making schoolboy errors . I'll admit we really were playing tight percentage football in the first 30 minutes but we didn't take advantage with Kerr's ( there's that man again ! ) dropped ball over the line the only time we threatened them apart from Hunt's try.
You forget how did we lose to Cronulla by a field goal.
We deserved that one to go our way they way we found something in the last 10
Not pretty but there were also some good signs from the team in this game too...but everyone is focussing on the negatives
Yeh we have to lift a gear or 2 to beat Manly and focus...we have an opportunity in 2 weeks to see where we really are

BLM01

First Grade
I watched last nights game screaming at the tv because Hunt and Norman would always turn the ball back into the middle. The Warriors have a bigger forward pack than we do, so I would have assumed the game plan would have been to move them around. It wasn't until late in the game when we targeted their outside backs and the result was 3 tries.

Listening to Hook at the press conference, made me more concerned when he said we keep trying to go around them, rather than through them. I known you need to go through the middle first, but we didn't attack the edges and wide out much until the end of the game,
What he meant was especially in dewy night games you need to go through before swinging it wide.
We were going and passing side to side which was useless and did not threaten enough
Punching holes was how we nearly got our 1st try.
Defences eat up just throwing the ball out wide and they are a decent defensive side

BLM01

First Grade
Thanks only watched it once, but I thought Kerr showed some grunt last night except the mistakes and could of got lower for the try he was held up over the line, just like he did in the first half when he was held up just short
The commentators said it was a good move but for me...
he can put the chip and chase away and could of looked to keep the ball alive

redv13

Bench
Thanks only watched it once, but I thought Kerr showed some grunt last night except the mistakes and could of got lower for the try he was held up over the line, just like he did in the first half when he was held up just short
The commentators said it was a good move but for me...
he can put the chip and chase away and could of looked to keep the ball alive
Kerr looked good last night. If he can sort his hands out he’ll go to another level

denis preston

First Grade
I thought he did last night in defence and attack. Was it not him that made RTS lose the ball with 2 to go? He has handling issues but that can be coached and practiced out of him I hope
I see a big improvement this year
For the money he is on fair enough but if no improvement by the end of next season then the experiment should be over.

thebigredv

First Grade
Ke

Kerr cannot score tries close to the line, has had many chances this year alas cannot break the last tackle, but did play well overall.
CC

Kerr had a decent game last night but still couldn't get over as you said. He is an 'almost' player. He won't be due for another decent game until early next season going by what he has displayed in the past. Feet for hands, I say we replace him.

George Dragon

Juniors

DynamicTed

Juniors
I wonder why the linesmen/women don't have any say in the 10 metre rule? Like most of us, the refs only have 1 set of eyes and they have quite of work to do on the field, counting tackles, checking everything in general etc. It would be easy for the lines people to tell the ref if one or more of the defenders is/are offside, just like forward passes and indiscretions in back play etc.

When there are crowds watching, they tend to let the refs know when the defending team are off side. I'm just saying why can't the lines people do the same?
Absolutely spot on! They don't seem to do much nowadays, not since their "Bengal Lancer" days of running on the field with flag flying high to report some form player infringement.

BLM01

First Grade
Absolutely spot on! They don't seem to do much nowadays, not since their "Bengal Lancer" days of running on the field with flag flying high to report some form player infringement.
Yep. They have been stripped of 50% of their responsibilities. No reason why they cant manage the 10 and foul play off the ball.
No excuse whatsever, free the ref to follow the rules and police the ruck properly.

And what has happened to the cheerleaders, why were they cast aside again?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Had a look again at the last 15 mins, how did the Warriors lose this ? The period between 15 mins to go until fulltime.
* Kerr just looks at a bad dummy half ball from McGuire and doesn't fall on it.
* Dufty makes a break stays near the sideline and doesn't even look that he has a dummy half.
* McGuire hits Fonuna Blake high but it doesn't get called ( these slaps were 2 weeks ago )
* Kerr gets caught with ball on the line .

If any of us whinge about a close loss this year just remember this game. We are still making schoolboy errors . I'll admit we really were playing tight percentage football in the first 30 minutes but we didn't take advantage with Kerr's ( there's that man again ! ) dropped ball over the line the only time we threatened them apart from Hunt's try.
Had a close second look at the game and particularly the tries the Warriors scored-all from close range. The common denominator for two of the three tries were ageing defenders around marker who failed to line up quickly enough and react to what the dummy half did.
I've become a fan of McCullough but he's 31 and no longer an 80 minute player and he was at marker for the two tries.
But to blame him alone would be unfair. No one player is going to stop a fresh 111Kg Bunty Afoa by himself on the goal line Within touching distance of him were Sims, De Belin and McGuire-also 30 and over. The rest is history- Afoa wrestled McCullough back over the line.
Rujuvenation of our ageing forward roster has to be a priority in whatever recruitment we do but a mobile 24-28yo strong defender needs to be top of the list. From what I've seen of Burns, he's not the answer.

Dragon David

First Grade
Yep. They have been stripped of 50% of their responsibilities. No reason why they cant manage the 10 and foul play off the ball.
No excuse whatsever, free the ref to follow the rules and police the ruck properly.

And what has happened to the cheerleaders, why were they cast aside again?
Bloody COVID has a lot to answer for.

Illusion

Bench
I'll admit I initially wasn't a fan of Hunt being made captain as he seemed to be one of a long line of quiet, ineffectual "come on " rather than "go on" Dragons captains (read Widdop, then McInnes). However, whatever his limitations as a captain, his game has gone to another level since being made captain. The come back effort they put in when I, for one, thought the game was lost and the way the players celebrated in the sheds at the end suggests he is a hit with the players.
Ben might not talk much and get up his players like you would want from your captain , but he certainly leading by example .......

Latest posts