What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 v Broncos

It does show how important having someone to cover injury is.

Not sure we cover a backs injury with last weeks bench
To lose Laurie early, have a dud half back and a weak centre to beat a hungry Broncos team at their home ground is a real gutsy effert, who knows maybe Alamoti going on the right help our cause.

Ginnane and Ennis on foxtel are no better. I saw Mamm get bounced off at least 3 times and Ennis in the call says he's been strong defensively.
Ginnane is the same every time the Broncos touch the ball he says Walsh or Mamm's name.

“ROICE WALSH TAKE A BOW”, bitch STFU

I usually don’t mind Ennis but he was insufferable last night. I vividly remember one of our guys making a great run and expected it to be called out by Ennis but instead he just says “Oi’ve boin so impressed boi Mam’s defensive effoirts tonoight” when he was tackled.

Cole - Doesn't get on the field if Laurie doesn't get hurt. The 14 is barely used this year. The one week he got used.

When/If we tactically use the 14 then I will count it in my bench assessment

notice how you only listed their defensive effort and not the other side of the ball? Isn't that what a plodder is?

Fish had more hitups, Run metres then the 3 bench props combined. And only missed a tackle. Fish also threw the cut out pass for our 1st try

Smith for example for the year has 5 offloads, 5 tackle breaks.

Kenny has 4 career tries in 93 games. 3 of them against the Broncos.

So while you are right all had good moments tonight, It needs to be backed up again more regularly to be bench impact guys.

The pack as a whole often steps up in big games
I’m not sure if you’re being deliberately contrarian or are simply clueless.

Please stop using the word “plodder”, you’ve made it abundantly clear you have no idea what it means and are just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Read my post again, slowly if needed. Lindsay Smith laid on a try, almost scored/set up another (miracle offload was a rush of blood) and often threatened the line. That is not a plodder. Cole scored a try, not a plodder. Henry has been outstanding in his rookie season and has scored 2 tries in his last 5 or so games, not a plodder. Eisenhuth played like 10 minutes, what more did you want from him?

WestyLife

First Grade

I usually don’t mind Ennis but he was insufferable last night. I vividly remember one of our guys making a great run and expected it to be called out by Ennis but instead he just says “Oi’ve boin so impressed boi Mam’s defensive effoirts tonoight” when he was tackled.

Just wait till cleary is back Ennis won't talk about anyone else.

Exactly my point.

Broncos lost and the next 15 minutes of commentary was, the Broncos were good tonight, Reece Walsh is back to his devastating best, the origin period has been tough for the Broncos (hello, we've had to manage more players out during origin), the Broncos really miss Adam Reynolds (hello, Nathan Cleary has been out longer and we would have had to manage him during origin if he was fit).

The reality is,

The media are committed to pumping the Broncos to keep the state hatred alive.

The referees are again allowing the Storm to revert to their bad old wrestle and grub tactics because of the AFL/NRL war in Victoria. If the NRL top team is from Victoria then it's a small victory in the war.

To end this,

The Panthers, according to the elitist eastern suburbs, northern beaches and shire clowns, are only supposed to be in the comp to make up the numbers, not be the benchmark side of the last five years.
The "Westies" are only supposed to wash their cars and mow their lawns, not beat their totally bought, not developed, football teams.

Keep it up Panthers, we might eventually earn some respect.

MrBlack

Juniors
Probably due to major injuries to key players. Nath
Ponga
Munster
Turbo
Moses
Etc etc

A lot of big name stars have been out this year. I think the comps just a bit more even. Not sure the standard is worse..
The standard is much worse.

we have been decimated with injury, played some poor footy, have players out of form, and had our roster gutted. We are still favorites to win the comp

Iamback

Coach
I’m not sure if you’re being deliberately contrarian or are simply clueless.

Please stop using the word “plodder”, you’ve made it abundantly clear you have no idea what it means and are just embarrassing yourself at this point.

Read my post again, slowly if needed. Lindsay Smith laid on a try, almost scored/set up another (miracle offload was a rush of blood) and often threatened the line. That is not a plodder. Cole scored a try, not a plodder. Henry has been outstanding in his rookie season and has scored 2 tries in his last 5 or so games, not a plodder. Eisenhuth played like 10 minutes, what more did you want from him?

I agreed they played well but when else this year has Smith laid on a try?

Until he is doing that stuff regularly then he is in the plodder category. Which atm the bench is. Hence why I am in the Leota on the bench Smith starting camp

We are talking about guys 43 games into his career and 17 games in. Their game is still developing and even Ivan said Smith has that in his game but doesn't have the confidence to do it reguarly.

I think you see Plodder as an insult, Where as I see it as a player that plugs a hole in defence and just gets on with it. Doing nothing fancy which is what you get with the 3 bench forwards we played last night

Iamback

Coach
To lose Laurie early, have a dud half back and a weak centre to beat a hungry Broncos team at their home ground is a real gutsy effert, who knows maybe Alamoti going on the right help our cause.

We don't have a player that isn't fit and can defend. We will always be in these scrappy games. How to improve the attack side which Ivan admitted in the presser needs work is what the side needs in the run home

soc123_au

Staff member
Really good defensively last night. Attack a bit sad with some really strange decisions made. The trys we scored were fun though with guys you wouldn't expect to be making the big plays icing it.

To'o is such a stud, the guy just makes good decisions, his positioning is always right.

Tago still a way off, but thought he was better than he has been.

Hopefully Nathans Hammy is good to go & we can start building for the finals push. It's still ours to lose.

Girds89

Bench
We don't have a player that isn't fit and can defend. We will always be in these scrappy games. How to improve the attack side which Ivan admitted in the presser needs work is what the side needs in the run home

Yeah mate. Its called the best player in the game returning to your run on side.

The attack is never going to go off with schnieder in there and origin outs and other injuries.

Look at what a few injuries has done to the broncs season.

They might not make the 8!!!

Yet we lose a few key guys. Best halfback and player in the game and ppl arent happy we are 2 points off first and the attacks not clicking.

Given we lost spencer and critta and the injuries and origin disruption this year we are travelling ok.

Honestly its a credit to ivan and the boys to be where they are. This team just can grind out wins even with hige outs. Nath back will help things.

As ivan said in the presser. Naths hungry.

snickers007

Juniors
Another positive I think Cole showed he could play centre if need be so if Laurie doesg to 6 I'd tryt him to be a reliable 14

I think we have to try Laurie at 6 next year first up. He has the same attributes at Luai that we love: plays eyes up footy, good step, acceleration, slick hands, pure x-factor.

His defence is the big question mark, but we simply won't know until we try.

Cole is probably the ideal 14 at this stage. We can cover 1-7 with him on the bench. He can relieve at 9, and we could probably play him as a small 13 too if need be, because defensively he's solid.

And let's be real, he'll get plenty of starting games next year anyway with injury, suspension and Origin being a thing.

If he's good enough (he is), he's a genuine shot at making the 6 or either centre position his own next year, even if he starts at 14.

BxTom

Bench
Really good defensively last night. Attack a bit sad with some really strange decisions made. The trys we scored were fun though with guys you wouldn't expect to be making the big plays icing it.

To'o is such a stud, the guy just makes good decisions, his positioning is always right.

Tago still a way off, but thought he was better than he has been.

Hopefully Nathans Hammy is good to go & we can start building for the finals push. It's still ours to lose.
I thought that what he did with the Cole try showed a lot of smarts. He was quick enough to see he wouldn't make it to the line, so he came in and drew the defenders with him and shot it out to Cole who was then in the clear. Good quick thinking.

Iamback

Coach
Yeah mate. Its called the best player in the game returning to your run on side.

The attack is never going to go off with schnieder in there and origin outs and other injuries.

Look at what a few injuries has done to the broncs season.

They might not make the 8!!!

Yet we lose a few key guys. Best halfback and player in the game and ppl arent happy we are 2 points off first and the attacks not clicking.

Given we lost spencer and critta and the injuries and origin disruption this year we are travelling ok.

Honestly its a credit to ivan and the boys to be where they are. This team just can grind out wins even with hige outs. Nath back will help things.

As ivan said in the presser. Naths hungry.

Mate we had half of the NSW Origin spine and Yeo who plays like a 7 in the side. Lets not pretend we ran out a NSW Cup team last night or against the Knights.

soc123_au

Staff member
I thought that what he did with the Cole try showed a lot of smarts. He was quick enough to see he wouldn't make it to the line, so he came in and drew the defenders with him and shot it out to Cole who was then in the clear. Good quick thinking.
Yeah, that was great. Being there to snuff out the 20-40 before the last as well. Then add in the 200 odd tough meters every week. In the conversation for a top 5 spot for all time greatest Panthers imo.

The try/win ratio is a nice touch as well.

Bob

Juniors
Our forwards were MAGNIFICENT. Tago best game in several weeks. Very happy with the win its us or the Roosters.
It was his best game for a while, the only blot on his game was rushing out of the line leaving a hole in the defensive line for Walsh’s try, he holds his position Walsh doesn’t score his try