What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Sea Eagles

I think the boys will come out to make amends with both the coaching staff and the fans.

We will struggle to win if Norman doesn’t bring his kicking boots.

I would like to see Sullivan start for Norman with Amone to replace Bird at Centre. And yes I realise Amone isn’t a centre but he has speed and is a good defender.

rasaint

Juniors
Saints Forever I wouldn’t get too confident about ‘Amones speed’. I stand corrected but have not seen it yet ( yes both a cameo NRL run and a YouTube highlights passage. Not death riding I want him to succeed.

Saints Forever I wouldn’t get too confident about ‘Amones speed’. I stand corrected but have not seen it yet ( yes both a cameo NRL run and a YouTube highlights passage. Not death riding I want him to succeed.
I here u rasaint, my point is that Bird has lost a metre in pace and struggles sometimes in defence. He uses his power to break tackles but in defence can be caught out due to his lack of speed.

The kid has been solid in defence during his cameos, has a step and more speed than Bird.

I am not advocating Amone replacing Bird full time as a Centre. But now that Turbo is supposedly not backing up we can afford to get rid of one more suspension and at the same time give the kid much needed experience.

BLM01

First Grade
I here u rasaint, my point is that Bird has lost a metre in pace and struggles sometimes in defence. He uses his power to break tackles but in defence can be caught out due to his lack of speed.

The kid has been solid in defence during his cameos, has a step and more speed than Bird.

I am not advocating Amone replacing Bird full time as a Centre. But now that Turbo is supposedly not backing up we can afford to get rid of one more suspension and at the same time give the kid much needed experience.
See how Bird goes after building up more confidence and strength again in another off-season
he had a few years out of the game and didn’t come back to training this year properly till about January
If he stays injury free the rest of this year I think you’ll see it a different stronger and better player next year

rasaint

Juniors
Bouncing off Saints forever observations I would comment broadly that one important thing made QLD very competitive last night. The addition of blistering speed. Add Ponga and Hammer; they were very good. Turbo couldn’t get on the outside And sprint away. They kept Val Holmes and added Brimson ( also high end speed) into centres when Holmes hurt his shoulde.

Now to Dragon recruitment. Our one flying machine in the 36 KPH club has been shown the door after 45 NRL trys many long range. The speed cupboard is bear now. In 2018 ( we win that if Widdop and Tariq stayed healthy), we had Dufty and Nene plus a fast moving Widdop. Gareth scored a number of long range intercept trys. All the top teams have at least two genuine speedsters.

OK who have we got that can score the long range trys or close ones needing blistering speed? Even Phil Gould noted last night’ the thing I fear most is speed’ in an opposition team.

st.phil

Bench
Bouncing off Saints forever observations I would comment broadly that one important thing made QLD very competitive last night. The addition of blistering speed. Add Ponga and Hammer; they were very good. Turbo couldn’t get on the outside And sprint away. They kept Val Holmes and added Brimson ( also high end speed) into centres when Holmes hurt his shoulde.

Now to Dragon recruitment. Our one flying machine in the 36 KPH club has been shown the door after 45 NRL trys many long range. The speed cupboard is bear now. In 2018 ( we win that if Widdop and Tariq stayed healthy), we had Dufty and Nene plus a fast moving Widdop. Gareth scored a number of long range intercept trys. All the top teams have at least two genuine speedsters.

OK who have we got that can score the long range trys or close ones needing blistering speed? Even Phil Gould noted last night’ the thing I fear most is speed’ in an opposition team.
sloane, ramsey, lomax, sulli, amone - all quick

Mjab

Juniors
Surely Ben Hunt doesn’t back up after 80 mins at Hooker?
Agree
I think Ben will want to play
Also depends how he pulls up
will be tough I reckon, maybe put him on bench in case felt like we need him although that would limit bench rotations
I think Sims should be rested and use up his suspension
didnt play well game after origin before

rasaint

Juniors
St Phil agree that Sloan a possibility/ Ramsey mid range speed/ Ian Herron mark 2 no/ Sullivan will be a quick half like DCE, Hunt, Hughes etc/ Amone ? I doubt/. I’m talking about a real high end finishing speedster; think Johnson, Ado Carr, Hammer, Coates. Melbourne are smart. Release Ado Carr buy Coates( just as blisteringly fast) to add to Paps and Jerome Hughes.

Watch the dogs improve out of sight with Dufty and Ado Carr next year. Still St Phil I will be hoping for the best, particularly Sloan to keep speed at the back.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Agree
I think Ben will want to play
Also depends how he pulls up
will be tough I reckon, maybe put him on bench in case felt like we need him although that would limit bench rotations
I think Sims should be rested and use up his suspension
didnt play well game after origin before
When Ben was interviewed after Wednesday night's game he said he would play. "Might be a bit sore, but will play".

blacksafake

First Grade

Some fair points rasaint.
Maybe we should do what Queensland did last night & stand offside all night which stopped Turbo ect getting on the outside of their man.

As for speed we did have Saab but he who shall remain nameless stuffed that up.

Gareth67

First Grade
Benny played so well last night , even though he scored 2 tries against the Blues , I took some solace from the fact that he was a Dragon .

Totally different player when playing behind a pack that are eating the meters .

Very pleased for the man , we need him now more than ever and I do hope that the rest of the boys give him a bit more effort in their games so as he can play to his true potential .

Last edited:

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Benny played so well night , even though he scored 2 tries against the Blues , I took some solace from the fact that he was a Dragon .

Totally different player when playing behind a pack that are eating the meters .

Very pleased for the man , we need him now more than ever and I do hope that the rest of the boys give him a bit more effort in their games so as he can play to his true potential .
Makes you wonder is his best position a 9. Next year Amone at 6, Sullivan at 7. McCullogh on bench??

Latest posts