What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Newcastle

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
A few positives out of that performance..

1. That well and truly sealed the deal on Hunt for mine. I’ve always liked him but he had an opportunity today to show something and despite being behind an insipid forward display which didn’t help his cause, he consistently chose the wrong decision. Even the minuscule amount of pressure to perform and show what you’re capable of and he blew it. That stat of 7 starts for 0 wins says it all. Time to invest in the future, either blood Sullivan or recruit a Maloney type to mentors the young halves coming through.

2. Fegai has it, he just has it. Was made to look silly by that ponga ball but what centre hasn’t in the past two years? Quality contact in defence and moves nicely in attack, I can’t wait to see more of both him and his brother.

3. Call me crazy, but I’m almost positive Ramsey was playing fullback in attack with Dufty in the halves when Hunt came off. Could have sworn I saw him looming around the ruck in the few opportunities we had. That made my day, knowing he will almost certainly be playing there full time next year. And Hooks comment of a fullback being judged on trys saved is the writing on the wall.
I agree with all those points, point 3 I have no idea what was going on positions wise. He was definitely hanging around the ruck in attack and the wing in defence. Lomax seemed to be either at halfback or backrow and no idea what Dufty was doing. Either way they are realising Ramsey is a weapon that needs unleashing. I would be very interested to see Dufty as a running 5/8 certainly less outside the box than JDB at 7. My issues are twofold, firstly I’m not sure Hunt or Norman have a good enough kicking game to accomodate Dufty’s possible lack of one and secondly Sullivan may do but Dufty and Sullivan are a small halves pairing. I have no issues with Dufty’s defence at 5/8 though, I believe he can tackle, it’s different tackling in tight than blokes coming full pace in the open like at fullback.

Old Timer

Coach
A few positives out of that performance..

1. That well and truly sealed the deal on Hunt for mine. I’ve always liked him but he had an opportunity today to show something and despite being behind an insipid forward display which didn’t help his cause, he consistently chose the wrong decision. Even the minuscule amount of pressure to perform and show what you’re capable of and he blew it. That stat of 7 starts for 0 wins says it all. Time to invest in the future, either blood Sullivan or recruit a Maloney type to mentors the young halves coming through.

2. Fegai has it, he just has it. Was made to look silly by that ponga ball but what centre hasn’t in the past two years? Quality contact in defence and moves nicely in attack, I can’t wait to see more of both him and his brother.

3. Call me crazy, but I’m almost positive Ramsey was playing fullback in attack with Dufty in the halves when Hunt came off. Could have sworn I saw him looming around the ruck in the few opportunities we had. That made my day, knowing he will almost certainly be playing there full time next year. And Hooks comment of a fullback being judged on trys saved is the writing on the wall.
Good observation re point 3
Lomax, Ramsey, Dufty & Feegai did some ad-lib and created much needed speed in and around the ruck.

Re point 2 I like you can't wait to see their careers unfold.

moes

Bench
I don’t disagree with all the comments on our forwards but we are a totally leaderless bunch. If we had a half like a Cooper Cronk he would organise how our forwards & sort out those that are not up to the required standard. I believe a player of this standard would make a big difference to our side and a number of our current forward pack would deliver a lot better than they do now. The BIG question is who can do that for us ?

if Cronk could make Lawrie into a first grader
Bit harsh mate. Lawrie must love being told to run at brick walls every weekend by the coaching staff. Do nothing else. Don't look for gaps. Don't try a step. For gods sake don't pass the ball ever. Just get smashed. Great development plan.

Maybe, but doesn’t look capable of doing any of those things you mentioned even with a good coach. Very very ordinary player. Love his heart and desire but no skill or upside

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Bit harsh mate. Lawrie must love being told to run at brick walls every weekend by the coaching staff. Do nothing else. Don't look for gaps. Don't try a step. For gods sake don't pass the ball ever. Just get smashed. Great development plan.
Agree Dragons4me, if that is indeed the instructions, it is ridiculous. Yet, despite his huge ticker his lateral movement and defence at the line is poor and he has been involved in some really bad defensive outcomes over the last month which the side just can’t afford. Has to improve in this area in the offseason or in my opinion he is a liability.

Bob

Juniors
Another garbage performance from Hunt.

Reminder that Hunt has played in the halves 7 times total this season for 0 wins. He should never play in the halves again. Anybody that thinks Griffin can turn him around are kidding themselves. The guy is 31 years old next season FFS....he is DONE mentally.
He’s never got over dropping that ball in the grand a few years ago final loosing it for the Broncos

hewi

Bench
You could run a course in universities on the Dragons. How to ruin a great brand thru incompetence. Start with the board, the old boys club of selecting coaches based on their former affiliation with the club, their failure to sack them until they have caused massive damage, their stupidity in signing an incompetent coach to a new contract without having any get out clauses. The coach himself sacking anyone who was better than him, Holbrook and Demetriou a classic back covering option. The constant recruitment of washed out players who offered nothing. The failure to have a plan of introducing youth into first grade. It defies the imagination but why oh why did it have to be my Dragons. I can suffer failure but not incompetence and we have had enough for a lifetime. Rant over.

blacksafake

First Grade
You could run a course in universities on the Dragons. How to ruin a great brand thru incompetence. Start with the board, the old boys club of selecting coaches based on their former affiliation with the club, their failure to sack them until they have caused massive damage, their stupidity in signing an incompetent coach to a new contract without having any get out clauses. The coach himself sacking anyone who was better than him, Holbrook and Demetriou a classic back covering option. The constant recruitment of washed out players who offered nothing. The failure to have a plan of introducing youth into first grade. It defies the imagination but why oh why did it have to be my Dragons. I can suffer failure but not incompetence and we have had enough for a lifetime. Rant over.
And a fine rant too :thumbsup:

Latest posts