What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 Panthers Vs Cowboys@DF (Same team again?!)

Charlie124

First Grade
Sam three reasons as last week:

Scott Bolton is a weapon
Aaron Payne getting the forwards rolling in the second half
Tonga breaking the line over and over

Ash Graham actually had a decent game. I don't know whether he's improved or whether the Panthers just didn't throw a lot at him. Southern played a LOT better than he did last week.

Ty Williams was shocking at fullback, both wingers played poorly. Yes, Bani scored a try, but it was given to him on a platter. He also dropped just about every catch he needed to take. To be fair though, John Williams wasn't any better.

I think Rovelli and Graham did enough to justify selection next week, but I think we'll be seeing Gallant at fullback instead of Ty.

On the plus side, I am REALLY stoked to see that we can come back from big half time deficits! Last year we struggled to keep the intensity up for 80 mins - now it seems we lift the intensity the longer the match goes for.

:lol::lol: he ran 60 meters and out paced 3 panthers cover defenders to score that try. If thats your definition of having a try given to you on a platter i give up.

As for him "dropping every catch he needed to take" you might want to take a look at the stats for the game, he made 1 f**king error (which was that 1 dropped ball which didnt end up leading to a try in the end anyway. Even Luke O'Donnell made more errors than that, in fact he dropped a ball in a very good try scoring position which would have put us in front.

This little agenda you have against Bani is nothing short of pathetic.

Last edited:

StinkyPete

Juniors
Tal theres no way in the world that try was handed to him on platter....have you actually watched it?? I'm still unsure how he beat all 3 defenders untouched??

Talanexor

Juniors
It was very poor defence by Penrith. Watch it again. They had THREE cover defenders moving over to cover him, but they didn't communicate and all ran straight past him - it's not like he put on a step or a fend or anything, he just stopped and went to head infield, then discovered there was no one in front of him.

Just like Bolton's try out of dummy half. Went to do go one way, then realised the defenders had all moved out of the way, and charged for the line. Penrith did more to score that try for us than Bani did.

Yes, he dropped one catch that was officially recorded. I'm talking about all the catches he missed in the air over Penrith's tryline. Thurston and Rovelli tried the cross-field kick like 3 times, and he didn't catch ANY of them.

If Ash Graham had put in a similar performance, everybody would be claiming that even though he scored a try, look at all the chances he butchered and the mistake which really put our team under pressure.

Anyway, going forward, what changes need to be made for next week? I think Graham and the wingers will probably stay put, but Ty Williams and Grant Rovelli need to go. Oh, and Scott needs to start instead of Webb,

I think bringing Webb AND Mason on together at the back end of each half is where they will be most devastating.

Charlie124

First Grade
So its Michael Bani's fault that three panthers defenders "didnt communicate". Here's a newsfalsh mate, he still had to run 60 meters down the wing and then beat them! It's not like they just weren't there.

As for all of these "butchered opportunities", if he dropped all of these balls that you seem to have seen then they would also be considered errors. Just contesting for the ball and having the defender get to it first is hardly something you can bag him for (although you will anyway). Do you do the same when Greg Inglis or Israel Folau does the same thing? of course not.

The Pain Game

Juniors
1 Ty Williams - had a shocker. His confidence for fullback would be pretty down at the moment. Move him to the wing!

2 John Williams - it is obvious. He is playing with injuries. I almost wish he failed the fitness test so we could have picked someone fitter, but we won, so no point thinking about it like that.

3 Ashley Graham - best game in a while. Still some poor reads and bombed a certain try (although the intercept was his work anyway), but I like the way he responded to criticism with a tough game. He smashed a few big blokes, and came into the middle for a run a few times to take the burdon of the forwards.

4 Willie Tonga - terrific. JT and Payne are giving him good ball, but he is still doing a lot of work and making metre/line-breaks. Has he ever had a better all-round defensive and attacking game?

5 Michael Bani - still some problems, but if we are doing okay down that side, should we persist? Looking forward to how his try is going to improve his confidence and feel in the team.

6 Grant Rovelli - bombed a certain try earlier, but is getting good minutes with the ball, which is taking the burdon off Payne and JT and allowing them to come into the game fresh. I was a bit pro Ray Thompson, but picking Ray might mean he has a Robert Lui like role in that JT steers and he follows, which compromises what we want to achieve - in relieving JT of controlling everything.

7 JT - wonderful game! You can talk all about his passing and attack, but his defence was even better. He chased Jennings around all night and kept him quiet. This is JT 2005 stuff... before his shoulder problems. He is certainly benefiting from not burning out by always having the ball.

8 Webb - played really well. I'm convinced Scott is our starting prop, but I think Scott's injury was the reason for the change.

9 Payne - awesome! We looked very good whenever Payne was on the field. Nothing more I can say! (and he is injured too - so courageous)....

10 Kafusi - has a bit more pace and is showing more aggression. Not setting the world on fire, but doing okay.

11 Bolton - blinder! Worried about a second season syndrome but he is improving every game and is running good lines on the left.

12 Rapira - not a big minutes man but played really well and put pressure on Bluey to stand-up to take his spot back.

13 LOD - without having stats, I thought he was solid without being at his representative best. Looked to have some injury problems and butchered a try, although Rovelli took responsibility, so don't know if the pass was too high or meant for someone else.

14 Scott - okay... but like I said, carrying some injury from game 1. He is not a person I'd worry about for having a quiet game as I know he will bounce back.

15 Southern - Rapira motivated him to come out and play his best game in a couple of seasons. I am happy for Bluey to stay a Cowboys but only if he performs like that a bit more.

16 Watts - in the last two seasons, he took a while to get on a roll and has probably had to come on a bit earlier due to Payne's injuries. He will improve a bit I reckon. - trust me on this one!

17 Mason - an improvement on game one, and with a bit more fitness and understanding of our structure, he'll come good. Been really impressed with his improvement, and remember, he usually gets met by 3 or 4 defenders.

Assessment: Must make a few changes to the team, but I have not seen a good Cowboys attack for a while now, so it is great to see the plays we have doing finally coming off. Additionally, the self-belief to comeback, and the options in attack, despite Mango (Matt Bowen) not playing. He would have been licking his lips on the sideline knowing what he could have done with those gaps - 8/10

Latest posts