What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Sea Eagles vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 20th March 5:30pm @Lottoland

callmack1

Staff member
From Sporting News,

'It's a dive' - Corey Parker calls for rule change after Latrell Mitchell's controversial sin-binning

Corey Parker has called for a rule change after Rabbitohs fullback Latrell Mitchell was controversially sin-binned after making contact with Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans in South Sydney's 26-12 win over the Sea Eagles at Brookvale Oval on Saturday night.

Mitchell was in fine form as the Bunnies notched up their first win of the season.

The fullback scored one try, set up another, kicked two goals and ran for 151 metres as Wayne Bennett's side nabbed a five-tries-to-two win in wet conditions.

But it was a first-half incident between Mitchell and Cherry-Evans that was a key talking point.

After making a break on the right, Cherry-Evans grubbered ahead, with Mitchell making contact with the Manly captain as he chased the ball.

A few metres after the contact, DCE fell to the ground, with referee Gerard Sutton sending the play up to the Bunker.

The Bunker ruled that Mitchell "played Cherry-Evans" as he passed him, seeing the Bunnies fullback marched for 10.

In commentary, Braith Anasta and Michael Ennis were both hugely critical of the call.

Speaking on The Sunday Ticket on Fox on Sunday afternoon, Parker called for a rule change to stop players taking advantage of the system.

"It's a dive. I'm a good mate of DCE, but it's a dive," Parker said.

"But is he doing the wrong thing by diving? He understands the rules, so the system's the problem.

"That doesn't knock you over. DCE knows the rules inside out. He knows 'if I fall over here, I'm going to get a penalty.'

"Is it right? Well, that's not for us to decide, but the rules is the problem.

"Change the rule. Fix the rule."

Manly scored one try with the one-man advantage, but Mitchell crossed the tryline shortly after coming back on as the Bunnies turned a 14-6 halftime lead into a 26-12 victory.

The Mitchell sin-binning wasn't the only time DCE came under the spotlight, with Anasta examining his contribution.

"DCE was quiet. He needs to improve," Anasta said.

"He didn't have one of his better games. There's a bit of pressure on him now, because he's struggling a little bit to start the year.

"So much relies on him and how he performs."

The loss was made worse for Manly with Andrew Davey likely ruled out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury.

Des Hasler's side are away to the Dragons next Friday night after St George Illawarra recorded their first win of the season over the Cowboys on Saturday.

callmack1

Staff member
'Wrong judgement' - Annesley says Keppie should have been punished for Reynolds hit: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/03/22...e-should-have-been-punished-for-reynolds-hit/

From News Corp,

Dane Gagai has taken aim at Manly playmaker Kieran Foran over stink at Brookie

It was a bad tempered end to a fascinating game and Dane Gagai has pointed the finger at the culprit, saying ‘scoreline frustration’ was the cause of the all-in melee on Saturday night.

Dane Gagai has suggested the last-minute melee that saw Jaydn Su’A placed on report was sparked by Kieran Foran being a sore loser.

Making no apologies for collaring Foran after being pushed in the back, Gagai claimed being on the end of a scoreboard thumping prompted the Manly five-eighth to start the push and shove that escalated to an all-in melee.

Su’A was placed on report and sent to the sin bin for coming third man in during the last minute of Souths’ 26-12 win over Manly.

“That’s footy,” Gagai said.

“It is a competitive game and a physical game. It was obviously a bit of frustration (from him). I have been in that position where you are on the losing team but anything that happens on the field stays on the field. There is no hard feelings and I wish him all the best for the rest of the season.”

Regarded as an on-field enforcer who never takes a backwards step, Gagai said he would not be looking for a square-up in the return match against the Sea Eagles later this year.

“Maybe I shouldn’t react to certain things but at the end of the day it is a game of footy and things happen,” Gagai said.

“It is a physical game and we are all out there competing. Everyone who takes to the field wants to win so when you have a bunch of guys competing like that there are going to be moments in the fame where it gets heated. Once the game is over it is no hard feelings towards anyone.”

The entire last-minute incident was placed on report and Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker are expected to face scrutiny when the NRL Match Review Committee examines the footage.

“We knew it was going to be a tough game and that they were going to show up,” Gagai said.

“We started poorly last week so for us it was about turning up and starting well. I thought we did that, especially in these conditions. We went away from that a bit in the second half and dropped some ball but managed to get it back on track and do enough to come away with the win.”