What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Thursday 17th March 8:05pm @AAMI Park

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Maybe we have to play taafe at left centre. I dont think Milne is the solution. I also don't think Milne is quick enough to be a winger. We have to try and go right more this year.

I remember a player who as a youngster made bad decisions, couldn’t handle the ball, people screamed for his head and otherwise treated with derision and contempt.

He cost the broncos a finals berth etc.

His name was Darren Lockyer.

And they told Cody as a youngster he would never ever make the NRL, no one saw anything in him. A flippity flop nuffie.

Then last year Bennett says he’s one of the best players he’s ever seen in his entire career, based on natural talent. This is from the best coach of all time.

And we all saw the errors and slips were scattered around a bit.

The changes the coach made second half paid dividends. That’s a sign of a very good coach indeed.

I’m my many decades of enjoying the game, most of the time, most changes by coaches made in-game, they do not work.

I think he’s working with only 75% -80% of the power Wayne had last year.

So it’s still a very good side, some fine tuning here and there and good to go.

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
I remember a player who as a youngster made bad decisions, couldn’t handle the ball, people screamed for his head and otherwise treated with derision and contempt.

He cost the broncos a finals berth etc.

His name was Darren Lockyer.

And they told Cody as a youngster he would never ever make the NRL, no one saw anything in him. A flippity flop nuffie.

Then last year Bennett says he’s one of the best players he’s ever seen in his entire career, based on natural talent. This is from the best coach of all time.

And we all saw the errors and slips were scattered around a bit.

The changes the coach made second half paid dividends. That’s a sign of a very good coach indeed.

I’m my many decades of enjoying the game, most of the time, most changes by coaches made in-game, they do not work.

I think he’s working with only 75% -80% of the power Wayne had last year.

So it’s still a very good side, some fine tuning here and there and good to go.
A lot of supporters, media and so called experts in the game really have no more clue than some astute followers at grass roots level........that's just the way it is.

A lot of supporters, media and so called experts in the game really have no more clue than some astute followers at grass roots level........that's just the way it is.

Very true.

People like to focus on the dramatics and theatre of the short term. They like to complain and be indignant and they are always right!

Things that don’t fit their point are discarded.

Just looking at the two sides on paper and factoring in strengths, anything less than a 12 point loss, would have been a moral victory for south’s in my eyes, so when all was said and done, to lose by the slimmest margin possible against the storm at home, with most of their side intact, was an acceptable outcome.

More so, the game offered a lot for learning and developing and the pride in the jersey was there in spades.

So no tears, it was quite encouraging on many levels. The things that factored into the loss, I think they can be repaired. Nothing fatal. That’s the good thing.

If you play like that in all games ahead, especially with the drive and passion of the end part, you will hit top 6 without too much ado.

So far this is not the usual season. There’s some slime and murkiness in the water that clubs are diving into. Everything is still up for grabs. When I see a pattern I will let you know!

Last edited:

southsport

First Grade
Very true.

People like to focus on the dramatics and theatre of the short term. They like to complain and be indignant and they are always right!

Things that don’t fit their point are discarded.

Just looking at the two sides on paper and factoring in strengths, anything less than a 12 point loss, would have been a moral victory for south’s in my eyes, so when all was said and done, to lose by the slimmest margin possible against the storm at home, with most of their side intact, was an acceptable outcome.

More so, the game offered a lot for learning and developing and the pride in the jersey was there in spades.

So no tears, it was quite encouraging on many levels. The things that factored into the loss, I think they can be repaired. Nothing fatal. That’s the good thing.

If you play like that in all games ahead, especially with the drive and passion of the end part, you will hit top 6 without too much ado.

So far this is not the usual season. There’s some slime and murkiness in the water that clubs are diving into. Everything is still up for grabs. When I see a pattern I will let you know!
You nailed it, great post.

You nailed it, great post.

Thanks a lot.

When some of the sting of the loss has healed, I think @callmack1 will get a lot more out of it over the week.

All things considered, with all the issues you faced, you simply weren’t entitled to get back into that game, let alone get into extra time and almost win it.

Never say die kicked into the players hearts.

If that was the Tigers team, we’d still be celebrating a close loss v storm hard!

A few of us wouldn’t even have made it home yet!

I like your coach too.

Last edited:

Steenson123

Juniors
Botton line is. Next few games must yield some Victories, cannot start 1-4 or 0-5. The class is there, Havili and Moale need to see more playing time judged on the strength of their second half v Bellamy.
How strong is this for a bench?
Havili
Moale
Tom B
Host
We can wreak havoc once the squad gets realigned and organised. Get on now, we are still a top 3-4 squad.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Mitchell: Trell was pretty good considering it was his first game in almost seven months. I would have liked to see him more involved as a whole because I feel like he wasn't present enough in some of our attacking raids in the first 65 minutes but apart from that, I liked what I saw. He returned the ball strongly as he ran for 93 meters. Once he did get really involved in the attack, it sparked us and we looked so much better! He had a hand in two of our late tries down that right side, the first was a lovely cut out pass to Paulo, great vision there. Then he showed the slight of hand for a perfectly timed pass to put Graham over and make it a real contest. Obviously, his goal kicking was another negative, that was way off and probably cost us the game though. However, Trell did step up to try and make up for that with one of the most incredible field goals I've ever seen!! 47 meters on the fly, never looked like missing, it was freakish stuff! So not a bad return game for Trell, he'll be even better next week.

Johnston: AJ didn't actually impress me at all on Thursday night. The finish for his try was good and he did make a fantastic run from a kick return in the second half where he stepped around a few and made a break but that's about where the positives stop for him. I thought the rest of his game was poor. Twice he was beaten on the left for tries, the first he was a bit out of position and couldn't get back in time to stop Coates on the kick and then the second he got beaten for pace which lead to the Storm's second try. Then, in attack for the most part, he was not up to his usual standards. Granted, he did cop some bad passes which didn't help but I think AJ bombed a number of tries for us. there was a few times where if he catches the ball, we probably score but he wasn't able to do that which is very unlike him. Made 5 errors all up which is crazy, a big reason why we lost. It's harsh but it's true.

Paulo: A very poor night once again from Jaxson. That is now four games at left centre and he has shown us nothing at all. That is why JD finally pulled the trigger, ended the experiment (hopefully for good) and put Jaxson back on the right wing. Apart from probably not sliding enough when the Storm scored their second, the defensive side of his game was really good as always but the attack was just terrible. More often than not, when the play got to him it died as he failed to pass, made errors or just took the wrong option. Again, this is a huge reason why we lost because we bombed plenty of tries down the left and Paulo is a big reason for that. he made two crucial errors. Once he was hooked and went back to the right wing, he looked far more comfortable and grew in confidence, had some nice runs and a good finish for his try. A bad night for him and I'm glad we hopefully won't see him at centre again.

Graham: What a game from stretch! Certainly one of our best! Really stood up and lead the way for the outside backs. His runs out of the back field were powerful and he got through a lot of work in that area on his way to a huge 176 meters. 9 tackle breaks from him too as he looked very dangerous. Showed some agility and power to barge over for his try off Latrell's pass and put us in a position to win, it was great stuff! Very solid defensively too, not much got passed him. Well done Campbell!

Milne: Taane also had a pretty good night individually. He did make a couple errors down the right side but apart from that, he was great. We didn't see any big defensive errors from him this time as I thought he was solid in that area. Even put a great shot on Justin Olam at one stage! Chewed through 124 meters off 14 runs so his carries were great. When he got moved to left centre, he showed us that he can do a job there and I don't think it's any coincidence we came to life in attack with Taane there, things just clicked and we looked so much better. He looked pretty dangerous, stepping through tackles, posing a threat and showing us that he can make amends where Jaxson failed by setting up his winger for a try. Good stuff from Milne, hopefully he can continue to do the job at left centre.

Walker: A somewhat out of sorts night for Cody. For 65 minutes, he was once again so off his game compared to what we've seen in the past. He made 3 poor errors on attack and they were errors he doesn't usually make. He just constantly took the wrong option and looked down on confidence. There was a few times Cody himself got it right but those outside him couldn't execute. Very disappointing stuff from Cody all round though and we need more from him no doubt. Thankfully, he did kind of come alive when we started to come back and he looked like the Cody of 2021 again. A beautiful hand in the try for AJ, that was a great pass and we looked dangerous beyond that too, created plenty of chances. Hopefully things have now clicked for us and him on an individual level and we can see his return to form. We need it!

Ilias: Has copped some flack but I actually thought he was really good and not the problem with our attack at all the other night. He did his job, went right to the line, straightened the attack and got nice passes away. It was the guys outside him who were letting him down. Go and have a look at the role he played in our two tries down the right though, it was perfect!! great stuff from Lachie! he also looked good combining with Cody and Latrell at times, especially through some nice plays off a scrum. In terms of his kicking, I'd still like to see him step up more in that area but I think he did okay there, it wasn't bad at all. I get that it was a bad pass from him in golden point which caused Cody to lose it and cost us the game but don't be hard on the kid, he'll learn from that. He's doing a great job and will continue to get better.

callmack1

Staff member
Tatola: Pretty solid performance from Junior, certainly a big improvement on Round 1 for him. His second stint was better than his first but I did think he played well all game. His carries were strong and he made some big runs on his way to a very decent 149 meters. He didn't look lazy like last week. Good stuff from Junior.

Cook: His performance on Thursday night has been picked apart a lot but I actually don't think he was too bad. His service was good and he had a few good runs out of dummy half to ask questions of the Storm defence. His work rate in defence was outstanding too as he made a massive 53 tackles! However, the thing with Cookie is, he's only nearly $900k and we need more than just what he's offered so far this year, that's why he's copping it. Did have that cork to the calf which was a reason why he was taken off but I do think JD also did it partially as a tactical thing and it kind of worked. Cookie needs to lift BIG TIME, there's no doubt about that.

Nicholls: I wasn't impressed with his first stint to be fair as he didn't do a lot but once he came on for his second he looked much better. Really took it to the Storm pack with good barging carries and a lot of them. Ended up with 154 meters to his name which actually topped the run meter count for our forwards. That second stint sets the standard for the rest of his Season.

Koloamatangi: Keaon wasn't super bad or anything like that, he was just very underwhelming once again from what we have come to expect. His defence was okay for the most part but he did show some really lazy marker work when Harry grant went through. he could have stopped that if he'd been more onto it. With the ball, he also disappointed me. Some of his carries were really good but those good carries just didn't seem to happen on a consistent basis and he also didn't go looking for work like he normally does. Made 94 meters which isn't bad but I just expect more from him.

Arrow: For the second week in a row, he was simply outstanding. One of our best out there on the night no doubt. Put his heart and soul into everything he did and played with real passion. His carries were super effective as he ran for 146 meters and his defensive effort was fantastic. Put in some really stinging tackles. Awesome stuff from Jai!

Murray: Was underdone last week and we all said he'd be better off for the run this week. We were right as Cam returned to form. His runs were back to his normal venom and his work rate was very high as usual. 134 meters off 22 inspiring runs. His ball playing is a big part of our attack and that was way off last week, much better against the Storm on Thursday night and he executed that role perfectly. Cam's role in the attack was great, he did everything he could and was creating space, it was just some guys outside him not getting the play right. Defence was on song as always. A much better game from the skipper and he'll only improve as his match fitness comes up.

Host: Hosty was solid, probably not quite as effective as last week to be fair but he was solid. Performed his role well and didn't put a foot wrong. 11 runs for 88 meters along with 22 tackles.

Havili: Really liked his work once again this Round! he started the game in the middle and did a solid job but it was coming on later in the game at hooker where he did really well. A fantastic job there for us. Great service, a couple of runs, good decisions, no confusion and mostly took the right options. He did well there and really helped to spark us.

Burgess: A little disappointed with Tom to be honest. Looked great in Round 1 but didn't quite back it up. A lot of his runs looked mis-timed to me as he was getting the ball quite flat footed which meant he couldn't make the meters he normally does. Still did a solid job and made 94 meters but we all know he can do better.

Moale: Impressed against one of the best forward packs in the comp. His minutes were limited but man he looked good! A strong carry first up and then ran a great line and made that line break. He looked powerful and I want to see him again!

Still really disappointed to not get the result and to lose in golden point does hurt, especially now that we're 0-2. I am proud of the boys though in the way they hung in there, never gave up and flicked the switch to get things clicking.

The comeback shouldn't gloss over the first 65 minutes though, it was really terrible. We were completing at 50% and that is just about as bad as it gets. Not good enough. I do take confidence in the fact that we were kind of beating ourselves though. Get that right and we probably win well.

I will say too that our actual attacking shapes looked good, they looked well structured at times and the Storm didn't fully defend them so I think there is no issue with our structures. it's just the execution on the last pass we couldn't get right for various reasons we all know. I counted five opportunities throughout the game we had great shape and looked likely to score but the try was bombed by the last pass. So get that right and I believe we'll be okay.

On to next week!!

Latest posts