What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 v Cowboys

brissiedragon

Juniors
Don't want to be the one to spoil the party so to speak, as our win today deserves full celebration. There is one concern (other than the obvious whipping boys) and that is the form of Tariq.

6 runs for 44 metres
Only 17 pcm
83.3% TE
6 missed tackles (most by any player)

Anyone else feel this is a concern?

I thought the same last night, looks slow and ineffectual. I also thought Vaughan was looking slow. On more than one occasion he ran at the line then turned and backed into the defence. On the upside the rest of the pack was great. Lawrie looks like he is on a mission to be aggressive this year, Fui was hitting like a truck. I like the way Hook used Williame as an extra forward late in the game and Merrin also played well and made metres. Its noticeable that our line speed and aggression has made a huge difference to our defence.

Tuddy

Juniors
Tonights take aways for me
  1. The coach well and truly has the shed and further more knows what to do with it.
  2. Hunt had his single best game in the big red v and as I suggested some time ago Hook was very smart to put the (c) beside his name. He will either step up or step out and thus far I can only see positives and long may it continue. Well done Ben Hunt you played a great game tonight and you captained us well.
  3. AM can and will play 80 (despite assertions to the contrary) and brings astute decision making and a calmness to our sets. Not as dynamic as some hookers but certainly a good manager and provides just the right type of assistance that Hunt needs.
  4. Whilst there is still has a long way to go there is much to see that is far better than anything over the last number of years.
  5. The playing group looks highly engaged and extremely happy and that is the exact culture we need to promote and of course Hook will keep them all on their toes and remind them of what the task at hand is both for individuals and as a team. The big headed nature of some has quickly disappeared.
  6. No panic during adverse moments and in fact we lifted our tempo to compensate during those moments which shows we are confident in what we can do. A basic commodity that we haven't had for a very long time so well done to the coaching staff.
  7. Special mention to Rava, Fui, Blocker all who had immense pressure on them to come up with something better and more consistency than last year and to date they have done that very well and more than deserve to hold their spots. Alvaro is also showing that he has a fair bit to offer and Hook & Co are getting it out of him.
  8. Our conditioning staff have done a superb job of getting the team into shape for the start of the comp (as suggested elsewhere maybe we were just leg weary for the CC) especially those returning from bad injuries. We look fit and full of running and that is allowing Hook to use our bench resourcefully and cunningly to suit his game plan which is a huge plus.
  9. I watched the game with the beloved grandson and the smile on his face and hearing his voice filled with excitement was music to my ears and f**k you Mc Gregor & Co for making his life miserable as a St George supporter and it wasn't about the losing it was all about the bullshit, the spin and the unkept promises you made and even kids could see through it so again well done Hook you make the pressers enjoyable, believable and worth watching win / lose or draw.
Great post OT, made even better by the fact that everything you wrote I agreed with.

Looks like we are out of that very dark tunnel and back in the light again.

mickeylane

Bench
As far as I'm concerned, the Dragons worst was against Souths then slight improvement against Cronulla. We improved slightly more in defence this week and the attack still being a little rusty but Hunt pulled us through w 3 try assists this week plus a try for himself...

This side will slowly get better each week and the nice draw we have over the next 3-4 weeks will see us in good stead when we are to meet the heavyweights...everyone remember Jack Bird is still clunky yet he looks a beast at some moments during the game so when he gets going over the next few weeks watch out...he will deliver another dimension out wide...

In closing, I think Norman did quite well and if he plays like that each week, I'd take that performance every day of the week until the end of the season...there was urgency, he was getting up our players and took control with nice kicks when needed..Hunt on another level and Rava, Lawrie and Ramsay worthy mentions....

We are on the way up and definitely, we have the measure of the below teams after seeing the first 2 rounds of action...just hoping we can jag the odd win against the top sides to push us up the ladder..
Tigers
Nth Qld
Broncos
Bulldogs
Sea Eagles
Warriors
Possibly Knights

VodkaSaint

Juniors
I said last game Hunt had no heart by not grounding the ball. Egg is on my face tonight however, Dufty's effort when Holmes scored was shocking, he gave up.
your criticism of Hunt last week was spot on, good to see he made up for it, Dont forget as good as Hunt can be he can also turn off

qld redvee

Juniors
what did everyone think of Molo's performance last night ??
He hits the line well has an offload and tackles I think he will be a big plus to the forward pack next year
and if merrin keeps playing like last night maybe he gets a 1 year extension ??

possm

Coach
I thought the same last night, looks slow and ineffectual. I also thought Vaughan was looking slow. On more than one occasion he ran at the line then turned and backed into the defence. On the upside the rest of the pack was great. Lawrie looks like he is on a mission to be aggressive this year, Fui was hitting like a truck. I like the way Hook used Williame as an extra forward late in the game and Merrin also played well and made metres. Its noticeable that our line speed and aggression has made a huge difference to our defence.
The week before, Vaughan ran 220m or so; more than twice the metres of other Dragons forwards. He should have been on light duties during the week to have him fresh for the Cowboys game. Vaughan is by far our best forward and needs to be kept fresh to have any hope of making the finals.

So when we see certain players playing below their best, I say we should give them special individual training during the following week to address the problems. If the problems persist the player should be dropped to reserve grade until he improves.

I am a massive Lomax fan but believe both Lomax and Sims need specially coaching/training to address their game.

I would love to see both Bird and Lomax given space to create opportunities to either score or put their wingers over the try line. Copper and Gasnier are the most recent example at our club to be able to do this. Soward and Hornby the ones to make this happen. So, get on with it Hunt and Norman.

Once Bird is fully fit, I believe he is the five-eighth we need to take us deep into the finals. If Hunt proves to be consistent than this would be our best possible combination until Sullivan displaces Hunt.

The sooner we realise that Dufty is more valuable coming off the bench at selective times in a game the better it will be for Dufty's career at that Dragons. Ramsey to fullback and Matt Feagai to the left wing. Once Bird moves to 6, the Max Feagai to left centre.

Fuimaono surprisingly played very well at lock last night. If he can consistently play like that each game he should hold onto the lock position until De Belin is available and match fit.

Our biggest problem seems to be in our edge forwards positions. I would like to see the coaching staff to resolve whatever problems are causing Sims to perform below his best. I suggest we move Kerr back to the prop rotation where is best suited.

We urgently need to go out to the market and find a top line edge forward to replace Frizell. The contracts of both Brown from the Eels and Creighton from the Roosters are up at the end of this season. So Millward, for goodness sakes, go out and sign at least one of these two players as matter of urgency. No bottom grade edge forwards please.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Very thankful to come away with the win;
Hunt played great
Handling errors still a problem
Tries conceded from kicks around posts are a problem, Dufty’s positional play hasn’t improved.
Alvaro is very impressive big motor for a big man.
I liked the look of Molo he’ll be a handy addition
Norman had a crack which was good to see
All in all a confidence builder for the boys they’ll enjoy singing the team song for the first time in 2021
With the ex barber and now gear steward leading it ?

Latest posts