What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Broncos
Accor Stadium, Sunday 20 March 2022
Kick Off: 5:15 (AEST)

CBY2022TEAM.png

1. Matt Duffy 2. Jayden Okunbor 3. Braidon Burns 4. Brent Naden 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Jake Averillo 8. Luke Thompson 9. Jeremy Marshall-King 10. Paul Vaughan 11. Jack Hetherington 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Josh Jackson

Interchange: 14. Bailey Biondi-Odo 15. Corey Waddell 16. Max King 17. Ava Seumanufagai

Reserves: 19. Chris Patolo 20. Brandon Wakeham 21. Joe Stimson 22. Kyle Flanagan 23. Reece Hoffman 24. Josh Cook 25. Aaron Schoupp

BRI2022TEAM.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Corey Oates 3. Kotoni Staggs 4. Herbie Farnworth 5. Selwyn Cobbo 6. Albert Kelly 7. Adam Reynolds 8. Keenan Palasia 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Kurt Capewell 12. Jordan Riki 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Ryan James 15. Kobe Hetherington 16. TC Robati 17. Billy Walters

Reserves: 18. Brenko Lee 19. Rhys Kennedy 20. Corey Jensen 21. Jordan Pereira 22. Cory Paix 23. Jamayne Isaako 24. Tyson Gamble​

Big Pete

Referee
Adam Reynolds will make his Brisbane Broncos debut when he lines up against Canterbury at his old home ground in just a matter of hours. There's been a lot of anticipation about what Reynolds can bring to the Broncos and while he's had a disrupted pre-season we'll finally get a chance to see what he's capable of.

He'll also be joined by Tesi Niu and Kobe Hetherington. Tesi should help give the Broncos more shape in the attack and help provide that right hand side with more space. Hetherington should also provide some more energy coming off the bench.

It's a certainly a winnable game for the Broncos, but they're going to have their work cut out for them. They haven't beaten the Bulldogs in Sydney since 2015 and the Bulldogs have a club debut of their own in Pangai Jr. We know first hand how destructive he can be on his day and the right hand side is going to have to step up defensively to contain him.

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos 16 (Farnworth 2, Oates tries; Reynolds 2/3 goals) def. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 10

It was a gutsy win by the Broncos. Canterbury dominated possession and territory through out but the Broncos were able to deny them and were more potent inside the Bulldogs half. The Broncos handling made it tougher than it needed to be highlighted by a no-try against Kotoni Staggs when he lost control of the footy diving over the line.

The key play of the game came mid-way through the second half when Farnworth was able to strip the ball over and was virtually able to go over untouched. Canterbury were well on top at that point and looked to be going onto it before Farnworth halted their momentum. Then later on the Broncos capitilised on an Averillo scrumplay with Niu sending Farnworth over on the sideline. There was a hint of an obstruction but the bunker cleared it, it will be interesting to see what the interpretation will be by Annesley.

Reynolds played well in his club debut. The Bulldogs targetted him relentlessly with Pangai Jr being placed on report for a late hit. There were a few nervous moments with Matt Burton stepping past him, but Staggs was able to clean up in a desperate try saving tackle.

Niu struggled to defuse Burton's torpedo bombs and spilled his first attempt. However Burton struggled to replicate those kicks and Tesi was able to regain some confidence and did a reasonable job of cleaning up in the back.

I thought the Broncos bench was better than last week with Hetherington in the rotation. Billy Walters made some big plays late in the contest and really got the Broncos moving forward.

Man of the Match for mine was Farnworth for his two tries, strong defence on the left and his tough carries coming out of trouble. I thought that left edge of Kelly, Farnworth and Oates played well with Kelly playing a vital role coming over to the right hand-side to defuse a dangerous kick by Addo-Carr that was all but destined for Averillo.

A good result for the Broncos and there was plenty to like moving forward. If they can fix up some of their errors they could really put themselves in the mix for a finals berth.

Showtime

Juniors
Brisbane Broncos 16 (Farnworth 2, Oates tries; Reynolds 2/3 goals) def. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 10

It was a gutsy win by the Broncos. Canterbury dominated possession and territory through out but the Broncos were able to deny them and were more potent inside the Bulldogs half. The Broncos handling made it tougher than it needed to be highlighted by a no-try against Kotoni Staggs when he lost control of the footy diving over the line.

The key play of the game came mid-way through the second half when Farnworth was able to strip the ball over and was virtually able to go over untouched. Canterbury were well on top at that point and looked to be going onto it before Farnworth halted their momentum. Then later on the Broncos capitilised on an Averillo scrumplay with Niu sending Farnworth over on the sideline. There was a hint of an obstruction but the bunker cleared it, it will be interesting to see what the interpretation will be by Annesley.

Reynolds played well in his club debut. The Bulldogs targetted him relentlessly with Pangai Jr being placed on report for a late hit. There were a few nervous moments with Matt Burton stepping past him, but Staggs was able to clean up in a desperate try saving tackle.

Niu struggled to defuse Burton's torpedo bombs and spilled his first attempt. However Burton struggled to replicate those kicks and Tesi was able to regain some confidence and did a reasonable job of cleaning up in the back.

I thought the Broncos bench was better than last week with Hetherington in the rotation. Billy Walters made some big plays late in the contest and really got the Broncos moving forward.

Man of the Match for mine was Farnworth for his two tries, strong defence on the left and his tough carries coming out of trouble. I thought that left edge of Kelly, Farnworth and Oates played well with Kelly playing a vital role coming over to the right hand-side to defuse a dangerous kick by Addo-Carr that was all but destined for Averillo.

A good result for the Broncos and there was plenty to like moving forward. If they can fix up some of their errors they could really put themselves in the mix for a finals berth.
I wouldn’t mind seeing Capewell and Riki do more to assist Haas and Carrigan who seem to do 80% of the tough runs. Capewell only ran for 35m today and 53m last week whilst Riki ran for 67m today and 50m last week. I still believe Hetherington is a better player than Riki.

blaza88z

Coach
I wouldn’t mind seeing Capewell and Riki do more to assist Haas and Carrigan who seem to do 80% of the tough runs. Capewell only ran for 35m today and 53m last week whilst Riki ran for 67m today and 50m last week. I still believe Hetherington is a better player than Riki.

Riki made 50 tackles in this game, he's definitely sharpened up defensively and isn't giving up on the play once the play goes past him

Capewell's never been the kind of player who runs for 100 metres a game, he provides some stability with his defensive work rate and is capable of a bit of a brilliance from time to time

Latest posts