What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Souths

gitano

Juniors
With Friz out here are some of the prospects that played in the CC last Friday.
Obviously moving Lawrie to lock and bringing in Kerr seems the logical scenario, however, just in case:

Robson - 6 runs for 95m, 2 line breaks, 1 try assist, 27 tackles 3 missed 2 ineffective
Timm - 17 runs for 166m, 69 pcm, 32 tackles 5 missed 1 ineffective
Allgood - 10 runs for 92m, 32 pcm, 24 tackles 1 missed 1 ineffective

Even though Jackson Ford isn't eligible his stats were:
19 runs for 184m, 86 pcm, 38 tackles 7 missed 1 ineffective
Completely irrelevant

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-190316705-sd.jpg

DRAGONS

Graham calls for patience over Dragons' new-look spine
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 18 Mar 2019, 08:04 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra prop James Graham has called for patience over their new-look spine as the side prepares for their first of three five-day turnarounds for the season.

The Red V will go into their round-two clash against the Rabbitohs on Thursday night with only a captain's run training session under their belt since returning from Townsville on the weekend.

Paul McGregor's decision to move Gareth Widdop into the No.1 jersey and Matt Dufty to the bench has already generated mixed opinions among fans and sections of the media.

But Graham remained defiant about the selection decisions on Monday in a split-squad recovery session in Caringbah.

"It's round one … I'm surprised no one has been a bolter for Origin [yet]," Graham quipped.

"We've got some quality players here and obviously five doesn't go into four in terms of fitting everyone on the field at the same time, but I think that's a headache most coaches could only wish for.

"The spine is everything in teams, they pull all the strings, but I wouldn't judge a part of one game and put a line through it. I'm very optimistic on how this team and this spine in particular can go and where I believe they can take us."

Graham’s defiant response to concussion concerns

Dragons recruit Corey Norman believes the spine played too conservatively to give themselves enough chance against a more rampant Cowboys outfit.

"It was a bit clunky there on Saturday wasn't it?," Norman said.

"I was a bit rusty there, it wasn't my best game but it is what it is. I think it will [take time].

"I thought we played a bit too conservative us three. We have plenty of talent there and could probably play a bit more football. But again, that's going to take time."

The Dragons will host South Sydney at the newly named Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in Kogarah with question marks over the ground's surface host down by the English enforcer.

Several sporting events over the summer, including the club's trial against Newcastle, were forced elsewhere due to the state of the field.

"Maybe ask the players in the 70s and 80s if they're going to give us some sympathy about how the fields are looking," Graham responded.

"As long as the field is safe [it's fine], which I presume it will be."

Get caught up: Round 1

Tyson Frizell is out for an extended period after suffering a testicular injury against the Cowboys with Josh Kerr in the frame to make his Telstra Premiership debut when the sides are named on Tuesday.

The Dragons announced on Monday that Frizell would be out indefinitely and would not rush the representative forward back because of the delicate nature of the injury.

Back-up halfback Darren Nicholls suffered a fractured scapula on the weekend in the Canterbury Cup NSW and is looking at a six-week stint on the sidelines.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/18/james-graham-calls-for-patience-over-new-look-spine-to-adjust/

getsmarty

Immortal
Risky business: Norman urges Dragons playmakers to push the boundaries
Adam PengillyMarch 18, 2019 — 8.00pm
  • Send via Email
St George Illawarra newcomer Corey Norman believes the Dragons' chief playmakers were too conservative to start the season, but has urged patience with Paul McGregor's remodelled attack.

On the same day James Graham leapt to the defence of the Dragons' interchangeable spine, the club's major off-season recruit bemoaned the team's failure to chance their arm against the Cowboys in Townsville.

4ee0c22101e148625333dcbc810e01e6254003b0

Corey Norman.Credit:NRL Photos

McGregor has shifted Gareth Widdop to fullback to allow Norman and Ben Hunt to work in tandem in the halves, with Matt Dufty's introduction from the bench forcing a reshuffle mid-game.

It is likely to be a policy McGregor adopts for much of the season as he looks to add an extra dimension to the Dragons' attack.

But Norman heaped the pressure back on himself, Hunt and Widdop to spark the Dragons against old foes South Sydney at Kogarah on Thursday night. They will have only one field session in preparation for the game – the captain's run on Wednesday.

"It was a bit clunky there on Saturday, wasn’t it? I thought we played a bit too conservative us three," Norman said.

"We have plenty of talent there and could probably play a bit more football. And when we did get our shape on, I thought we played a bit too much through the lead [runner]. In saying that, it is round one and our combinations are going to take time.

"I think it takes a good month for teams that have [even] had their combination to get going. You have to be very simple in your early rounds. I think it takes about four weeks to get into rhythm no matter what."

While Norman was happy to shoulder much of the responsibility for the Dragons' splutter against the Cowboys, straight-talking teammate Graham didn't hide his frustration with any criticism of St George Illawarra's new spine.

Asked whether any questioning of the playmakers was premature after round one, Graham said: "Exactly. We’ve got some quality players here and obviously five doesn’t go into four in terms of fitting everyone on the field at the same time, but I think that’s a headache most coaches could only wish for.

The spine is everything in teams. They pull all the strings, but I wouldn’t judge a part of one game and put a line through [the experiment]

James Graham
"The spine is everything in teams. They pull all the strings, but I wouldn’t judge a part of one game and put a line through [the experiment]. I’m very optimistic on how this team and this spine in particular can go and where I believe they can take us."

The Dragons will be without Australian and NSW forward Tyson Frizell, who returned to Sydney after the rest of the squad having undergone surgery in north Queensland on a ruptured testicle. Frizell played on with the injury after a collision with makeshift Cowboys fullback Te Maire Martin.

It compounds St George Illawarra's early-season loss of Jack de Belin, who is due to return to court next month to fight the NRL's no-fault stand-down policy.

Said Norman: "They were the heartbeat of the forward pack last year, weren’t they? That is rugby league. We have to deal with it and move on."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ri...s-to-push-the-boundaries-20190318-p5154e.html

My biggest concern-why only one game?? Each year we get less value for our very expensive seats. We used to get 3 games years back-then 2-now 1. I hope this isnt the shape of the future cause frankly for me- $50 (Kogarah Pass) for a ticket to just see one game is just too expensive considering I can sit at home and watch it for free. I want a day out like I used to get- being night there'll be food as wel to buy.Ive been a supporter for a long time now-but just one game isnt going to keep me here much longer

possm

Coach
Who thought we were a chance against the Broncos in the semis last year?

Anything is possible.
SGI played really well and the Broncos played very poorly. There were incentives for our players to really put in and show what the team could do and the Broncos were in turmoil mainly because of the rift between Bennett and Broncos management. We experienced a similar problem in 2011 although it was not exactly the same problem.

This week will be without top grade forwards JDB, Frizell and K Sims and so it would be hard for any team to compensate for such losses. Our young forwards have not been exposed to the riggers of first grade and so it will be a big step up for them just to hold the Souths forwards.

Our spine performed very poorly last game against the Cowboys so a big improvement will have to be made in this area if we hope to compete.

Aitken lines up against GI and our inexperienced wingers will surely be targeted under Bennetts game plan. I'd say we will need the rub of the green and a huge improvement from our players to win this one.

SGI played really well and the Broncos played very poorly. There were incentives for our players to really put in and show what the team could do and the Broncos were in turmoil mainly because of the rift between Bennett and Broncos management. We experienced a similar problem in 2011 although it was not exactly the same problem.

This week will be without top grade forwards JDB, Frizell and K Sims and so it would be hard for any team to compensate for such losses. Our young forwards have not been exposed to the riggers of first grade and so it will be a big step up for them just to hold the Souths forwards.

Our spine performed very poorly last game against the Cowboys so a big improvement will have to be made in this area if we hope to compete.

Aitken lines up against GI and our inexperienced wingers will surely be targeted under Bennetts game plan. I'd say we will need the rub of the green and a huge improvement from our players to win this one.
Just an extra point on the Broncos game.
Brisbane was without both Gillett and Glenn which created a massive hole in their pack.
Our back row had a field day as a result.

Dragonsamy

Bench
My biggest concern-why only one game?? Each year we get less value for our very expensive seats. We used to get 3 games years back-then 2-now 1. I hope this isnt the shape of the future cause frankly for me- $50 (Kogarah Pass) for a ticket to just see one game is just too expensive considering I can sit at home and watch it for free. I want a day out like I used to get- being night there'll be food as wel to buy.Ive been a supporter for a long time now-but just one game isnt going to keep me here much longer

Mate it the only game at Kogarah were we don't have the CC cup before it at Kogarah.
It's also because it'd a Thursday night game and CC cup is not played on Thursday at all.
But agree that the price of tickets is to much.

BLM01

First Grade

Aitken is on the opposite side to GI these days who plays right centre

Datramp

Juniors

Gee yeah you are right. Might as well give Souths the 2 points now and not bother playing. </Sarcasm>

BLM01

First Grade
I reckon this game has a similar smell of the Broncos final last year.
We are at long odds in everyone's eyes to win it.
Could the Dragons spring another surprise performance

Latest posts